Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting UPC Broadband to Sky+HD box

Options
  • 05-10-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a weird problem. I switched from UPC to Sky for TV. I was on the Horizon trial, so broadband is handled by the Horizon box. The Sky box is beside the UPC box.

When I connect my Sky box to the UPC box to hook up broadband, the Sky box simply goes unresponsive with a black screen. Only way to recover is to disconnect the internet cable and reboot the Sky box.

Sky installation engineer came out with a Sky wireless box, and that works fine.

I'm concerned because its been pointed out to me that with Sky (and unlike UPC), I end up "owning" the Sky box - and I don't want to own a box that may be faulty.

Thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I thought all the new SKY boxes came with built in wifi now so surprised you needed the external wireless connector (but that's besides the point).

I have my 2TB connected via ethernet to the old UPC TWG870 (white) router and before that the standard SKY HD box connected to it, never had any issues with either (well my old SKY HD box died of internal organ failure hence the 2TB!).

Presumably you have tested the ethernet connection on your Horizon box (e.g. using a laptop) and it works fine? If so it's gotta be the SKY box.

In any event I'd ask UPC to give you a standalone router instead of the Horizon box (unless you want to keep it for sentimental reasons) surprised UPC let you keep the Horizon box just as a router; seems a bit impractical to use it as such vs a normal router given the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Just an update. No real progress to be honest. A Sky engineer came out an replaced my Sky HD+ box with one of the newer ones, with build in wi-fi.

So once again, I tried to run a network cable directly from my UPC Horizon box to my Sky box. Same result - Sky box crashes and won't respond (even with a reboot) unless the network cable is disconnected.

I tried putting a switch between the UPC Horizon box and the Sky box. Same result. Tried to put a router (with dhcp off) between - same result. Sky box crashes.

Now I know that there's not going to be a lot of people who don't have a Horizon box and a Sky box, but this is just weird. Anyone else have the same problem.

The Sky engineer basically blames the UPC Horizon box - but no other devices have this problem (Apple TV, Laptop, Raspberry Pi) when directly connected.

Sky Box is fine connected wirelessly.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

If it is working don't touch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Which bit of "the Sky Box reboots when you connect a broadband cable to it" do you consider to as "working"? :-)

Seriously though, I'm more curious at this stage as to what could possibly be causing the reboot. I've never come across anything like this before. There must be some nefarious command being issued from the UPC box, no? :-)

Advertisement