Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cancelled car insurance

• 05-10-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I purchased a car insurance policy last year to be paid in 9 monthly payments. In July this year, my last payment didn't come out of my account.

I received a letter to tell me my policy would be cancelled if payment was not received. I immediately called them to pay by card over the phone. They would not accept payment telling me they would automatically try again over the next week.

Forgot about it and heard no more. Until last week when i noticed my insurance was soon due and i hadn't received a renewal letter. Rang the company to be told my policy has been cancelled since the beginning of August.

Obviously extremely angry that I had been driving unknowingly without insurance for the last 2 months my main concern now was my No Claims Bonus. I was told it wasn't affected as I had full no claims BUT during the week I received a letter stating I have only 3 years NCB?!! They now tell me that's what I had before I came to their company. It also states in the letter that my policy was cancelled which obviously I don't want to send to my new company!

Am I in the wrong and what can I do?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Ask them to forward to you the letter of cancelation with registered post proof. If they can not then policy was never canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

I'm presuming the letter I received was the cancelation letter but I called straight away(which they have record of) to give payment which they would not accept saying they would try again in the next week.

I heard no more from them presuming everything was fine and as it was my last monthly payment I just thought i was into my 'payment free' months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

dawn8585 wrote: »
    I'm presuming the letter I received was the cancelation letter but I called straight away(which they have record of) to give payment which they would not accept saying they would try again in the next week.

I heard no more from them presuming everything was fine and as it was my last monthly payment I just thought i was into my 'payment free' months!

Did the letter come by registered post, what exactly did it say, the OP said "I received a letter to tell me my policy would be cancelled if payment was not received." You must receive a letter saying the policy is canceled and requesting the return of cert and disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Imagine if the OP was pulled over for having no insurance. The Gardai wouldn't buy the whole I was never told my policy was cancelled story and you would have been brought to court. What Infosys said above is correct. They would request the return of both the cert and disc. OP you need to make a complaint about this to the Financial Ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The same thing happened to me,l first time I ever paid monthly, never again.

the letter said I had to contact them immediately or my insurance would be cancelled.

I called and they tried to say I could leave the DD to be presented again the next month but as they was only €40 owed I wanted to pay there and then, finally they took the card number, but I called a week later just to make sure it was all OK and gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dawn8585

I didn't receive any letter to say it was cancelled or to send back my insurance disk. I am going to call into their office in the morning. At this stage I am more worried about my No Claims Bonus being affected. I have a feeling I will be making a complaint!! Thanks for ye're help :)

Advertisement