Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New battery for my HP Pavilion G6 Laptop

Options
  • 05-10-2013 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello, after 2 years of constant usage, the battery on my HP G6 laptop is gone. I need a replacement but I'm not sure how to go about it. Does it have to be exactly the same or can it be a different battery that is the same size? I have looked at a couple of links on Amazon but I'm not sure which one to buy. Can someone post a couple of links and help me out? If you need extra info, please ask. Im not really computer savvy so I wouldnt know much about these things.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hellomotto

Torqay wrote: »

Thanks for your help but there is no way I am paying 100€ plus for a battery on a 2 year old laptop that is worth 200 quid tops. Your help is appreciated though.
    I don't understand why are they so expensive. I was hoping max 40 quid.

Thanks anyway for searching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well, with cheap 3rd party replacement batteries there are certain risks you should be aware of. They may not have the advertised capacity. The number of charge/discharge cycles might be rather limited.

Some laptop manufacturers (HP and Dell in particular) are known to block uncertified batteries in the BIOS, so you might end up with a battery that does not charge at all. Not saying this is the case with your model but is not unheard of. Mean spirited people say they do that to promote their own replacements, the manufacturers claim it is for your own good so the laptop doesn't blow up in smoke... think of it what you will. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hellomotto

Torqay wrote: »
    Well, with cheap 3rd party replacement batteries there are certain risks you should be aware of. They may not have the advertised capacity and/or a very limited number of charge/discharge cycles.

Some laptop manufacturers (HP and Dell in particular) are known to block uncertified batteries in the BIOS, so you might end up with a battery that does not charge at all. Not saying this is the case with your model but is not unheard of. Mean spirited people say they do that to promote their own replacements, the manufacturers claim it is for your own good so the laptop doesn't blow up in smoke... think of it what you will. ;)

I get what you're saying. I would pay the 100€ + if the laptop was worth 800 quid as of now. But its worth 200€ so I think I'll risk it with a 3rd party battery.

Advertisement