Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulation SEAI grant issue

• 05-10-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just had my attic spray foamed insulated and the house walls cavity insulated. I applied for the grant but the contractor says we don't qualify. He never mentioned this during the job.

Anyone any idea why the spray foam doesn't qualify?
    Should it qualify?
    The job cost me over €3000
    Contractor is on approved list

Any advice greatly appreciated. I plan to give seai a call Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

holmyster wrote: »
    1. Anyone any idea why the spray foam doesn't qualify?
    2. Should it qualify?

1. Spray foam insulation is not grant aided because very few (if any) systems were approved by nsai (agreement certified) when the grant came into effect and afaik they still are not approved.
    2. Imo, no. Risk of moisture buildup in the roof structure is too high leading to structural issues within 5/10 years.

Did you not read about what measures were grant approved when you applied? The last time I looked there is an abundance of information for the householder on the grant site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I thought the process is you get approval in principle from SEI, get the job done by approved contractor, and then claim. It's fairly straightforward.

It really wasn't up to the contractor to tell you the job wasn't eligible, it was up to you to research in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

holmyster wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just had my attic spray foamed insulated and the house walls cavity insulated. I applied for the grant but the contractor says we don't qualify. He never mentioned this during the job.

Anyone any idea why the spray foam doesn't qualify?
    Should it qualify?
    The job cost me over €3000
    Contractor is on approved list

Any advice greatly appreciated. I plan to give seai a call Monday.

You should have checked before you started. Even if he told you during the job it would have been to late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

3k!
    You have been ripped off for attic insulation unless it is huge. Spray foam really doesn't have massive advantages in an attic and can be a big problem with wiring if not done correctly. Regular insulation for the same ratting would have cost about €500

It seems you made a mistake not checking whether the grant applied too. While I do feel for you and think the company ripped you off it is buyer beware.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It wouldn't have to be a massive attic for a 3k bill for sprayfoam insulation.
    OP- sprayfoam is never covered. You should have checked this first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Victor wrote: »
    Moved from Accommodation & Property

Hi guys .. In a real sticky one myself.. Applied for insulation grant done job got inspected which went badly and contractor got massive penalty points prob is this.. He allowed me use his number as I assured him my guy could do work .. Which he did. Now contracter is saying he had nothing to do with job( I signed form for him which his son told me to do ). Obvisiouly didn't think we would get inspected.. Which I never told him we were getting . I thought everything was grand with job( how wrong I was ... Can I do anything now to rectify situation....!! Help please. It's Xmas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

rambojon wrote: »
    Hi guys .. In a real sticky one myself.. Applied for insulation grant done job got inspected which went badly and contractor got massive penalty points prob is this.. He allowed me use his number as I assured him my guy could do work .. Which he did. Now contracter is saying he had nothing to do with job( I signed form for him which his son told me to do ). Obvisiouly didn't think we would get inspected.. Which I never told him we were getting . I thought everything was grand with job( how wrong I was ... Can I do anything now to rectify situation....!! Help please. It's Xmas.

You've made false representation see here: http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_Assessors/Administration_for_BER_Assessors/Offences/
    I'm not sure what your next move is, it's upto the contractor and whether the seai have been informed of your deceit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

You did the work yourself, a shoddy job, and then forged his signature as the contractor?
    Not really surprising he doesn't want to take the penalty points then.

Look- take it on the chin- you tried to con the SEAI out of a grant, by doing the work yourself- and your substandard attempt- which may be functionally ok, was below the standards they expect of professional contractors.

Unfortunately- if I were the contractor, I'd be pissed as hell with you- you deliberately put his name on work that wasn't his, and he has penalties associated with him from the SEAI now.

It may have been a spot check- but you have to assume there will be spot checks- its the same way, when you're doing your tax return, you don't fiddle it- because the implications if you get caught are just horrenduous.

There is nothing you can do in all reality- I'd suggest withdrawing the grant application for starters, and seeing if the SEAI decide to proceed against you (and hope and pray that they don't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

rambojon wrote: »

the contractor has dug his own hole here i think imo if he let you use his number. What did or would he gain by just letting you use his number apart from risk? Unless maybe something in it for him possibly??

ultimately the contractor could be in trouble here if seai become aware of him 'letting you use his number' but it would be your word against his.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PAL100

Unlike some of the others I think the contractor should have made you aware of the fact that this type of insulation does not qualify for a grant but that a much cheaper fiberglass/wool system does qualify. This system is very good and meets all of today's standards.Even if you never mentioned a grant I think it's just good practice to give advice.Unfortunately however I don't think you have any comeback.I don't think you would recommend this contractor again.

I still don't get it- why would the contract 'allow' you to use his number?
    There is absolutely nothing in it for him- and if problems- such as the one that is now ensuing, arises, its egg on his face (and under the regulations- a possible fine of up to 5k).

Is there more to the story than you are posting here- because quite frankly it just doesn't ring true?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is there more to the story than you are posting here- because quite frankly it just doesn't ring true?
    ;)

Advertisement