Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young People not receiving polling cards?

• 05-10-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Having talked to a lot of my fellow students, it seems that quite a few of us did not receive polling cards, instead receiving a letter late in the day from the local council saying that there had been some error of sorts.

Now I'm not suggesting there's any conspiracy or anything - :cool: - but this has not happened in the past.

Did anyone else not receive a polling card? It certainly made me think twice about heading down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Polling cards aren't 'voting tickets' and no one should be put off from voting if they don't get one. There's any number of reasons for that.

If you could find yourself on checktheregister.ie and your Election Type was down as 'Presidential' then you were fully entitled to vote yesterday in the location outlined on the page.

Personally speaking, I had a fair few first time voters in yesterday so there was nothing unusual. I also had a good few people who never got their polling cards, but then that's not unusual either.

Hope you managed to get your vote yesterday OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I did go down and vote, it's just that talking to friends today, from other constituencies AND local authorities, they didn't receive a polling card. Felt that this was unusual. When you consider that others in the house receive their's, you start to think you're off the register, or that you can't vote in this referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

donvito99 wrote: »
    I did go down and vote, it's just that talking to friends today, from other constituencies AND local authorities, they didn't receive a polling card. Felt that this was unusual. When you consider that others in the house receive their's, you start to think you're off the register, or that you can't vote in this referendum.

It's a problem that many people think that no polling card = no vote and that should probably be looked at.

But the people that manage the elections in each constituency aren't political (in my experience) so I'd say it's just down to bad luck and an appallingly managed electoral register that some people didn't get their cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dinner wrote: »
    It's a problem that many people think that no polling card = no vote and that should probably be looked at.

But the people that manage the elections in each constituency aren't political (in my experience) so I'd say it's just down to bad luck and an appallingly managed electoral register that some people didn't get their cards

Girlfriend was adament you couldnt vote without your polling card. She hasn't received one last two elections and hasn't voted.

I'm constantly telling her she can.

I havn't used a polling card in the last three elections, just gone in with my driving license and proof of address.

Interestingly Newstalk kept mentioning it, none of the sate paid advertisements

Advertisement