Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Run an April Marathon with Ironman Bolton in July?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I've a few marathons under my belt at this stage but considering doing an April Marathon.... Rotherham or Vienna.

Is that too soon for recovery with ironman in July? I could play conservative and not do it and go and spectate but I know that I'd be jealous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seanie_H wrote: »
    I've a few marathons under my belt at this stage but considering doing an April Marathon.... Rotherham or Vienna.

Is that too soon for recovery with ironman in July? I could play conservative and not do it and go and spectate but I know that I'd be jealous.

I'd have said that it's not a great idea
    And bit just from a recovery perspective but also a preparation one.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A marathon in the middle of ironman training is not a good idea. It will throw a spanner in your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Is your plan for the marathon and then peak again for an IM 12 weeks later?
    If so your IM performance would suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'd say go for it!

Mightn't be the best thing for the ironman training, but sounds like the enjoyment you'd get from it would outweigh that.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

If you are an experienced runner and plan not to run it hard then I would go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

If you are an experienced runner and plan not to run it hard then I would go for it.

Possibly OT.... but can many people do this? Every time I do a race that I plan to "not do hard" the plan goes out the window when the gun goes, I just don't have the discipline for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I did Cork this year 3 months out from IM Wales. Didn't race it though just used it as my long run and stayed zone 2 for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you do it as an LSR and keep the pace down then it wouldn't be the worse......but you'd probably miss your long bike that weekend at a crucial stage in training. That said a weekend away in Vienna would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Keep it in perspective as others have advised. Weigh up the cost of recovery. Enjoy it. Run with no watch and very very comfortably. Oh, and enjoy it :)

Hard to do mind

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Cheers all for the feedback.

I think I need to suppress the runner in me and keep in line with the plan... It'll be tough enough without a full mara in the middle.

Reckon I'm going to peel it back to just a half marathon if we end up in Vienna and the 10k if Rotterdam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement