Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chestnut Trees

Options
  • 05-10-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Was telling the young fellow earlier about knocking conkers out of trees when younger. Place I used to go is gone. Anyone know of a spot where I can go throw some sticks at a chestnut tree with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

On they not on the dls side of the park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There used to be loads of them in Newtown beside the soccer pitches when I used to take my young lad to the soccor on Saturday mornings, you wouldn't even need to throw a stick at them, the ground was covered with them.

In the last couple of years 97% of chestnut trees are being destoyed by maggots eating the leaves and the trees dying off and the conkers are small compared to their regular size and it's a major concern in the tree world in the UK at the moment so hopefully it wont spread here.

It would be a shame to lose chestnut trees and kids big and small miss out on the hours of fun playing games with the conkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I know it's out of town but Kilmacthomas Primary has a tree just inside the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

thomasm wrote: »
    Anyone know of a spot where I can go throw some sticks at a chestnut tree with him.

There was a granddad and grandson doing this on the green between Walsh Park and The Presentation.

Pretty sure you'll find conkers at the St. Declan's side of the park, towards the end by South Parade/St. Otterans Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

There's a tree down by Manor lawn that's loadwd with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    There's a tree down by Manor lawn that's loadwd with them.

Great, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There's a tree on the green of Mount Pleasant with loads on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Loads in the Park, had the kids down there on Saturday

Advertisement