Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Connaught Inn Castlebar?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi

Was in Blue Thunder getting food last night and saw a sign for a new hotel/pub/restaurant that was opening soon in Castlebar named the Connaught Inn that was looking for staff. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hi

Was in Blue Thunder getting food last night and saw a sign for a new hotel/pub/restaurant that was opening soon in Castlebar named the Connaught Inn that was looking for staff. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Thanks! :D

nope, but while your mentioning take aways, when did topnosh close down? not that i eat in it but i noticed today it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Not sure but i see notices (planning maybe) on one of the pubs across from Blue Thunder. Sorry but the name escapes me.
    Might be worth a look

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Not sure but i see notices (planning maybe) on one of the pubs across from Blue Thunder. Sorry but the name escapes me.
    Might be worth a look

thats miles out of town. wasnt there a pub up that way before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

That street had numerous pubs on it. not sure if any are still open though but the little A4 signs are new hence my advice above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Nice to see Pat Moran is back behind the bar, he opened in cosgraves old place next door to blue tunder. He ran before that the green fronted abandoned bar down the street and the pub across from BT'S, I think he was hit bad by the recession. Always a great pint of Guinness in his pubs but rarely a large crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That street has had its fair number of pubs. The one across from the Blue Thunder take away spent a lot of money refurbishing the place during the good times and opened Lighting Jacks. It only lasted what felt like a year before it became Mocha which was a cafe type pub. Remember a couple of years ago the Government were on about having these European type cafe bars hoping people would drink less than if they were in a pub. Well that's what I always thought Mocha was. Anyway as far as I know they have B&B rooms upstairs so that could be the place where this Connacht Inn is opening.

Top Nosh is closed about 3 weeks now. It only got drinking people late at night. I don't think it opened until 5pm most days. I don't think they targeted students or the lunch crowd enough. Subway about 100 meters away around the corner has a que out the door at lunch.

Cafollas the take away on Castle Street has planning permission sign up to extend into the vacant premises to its left. They are expanding and creating a seating area. Planning permission date is 14th August so it should receive it in the next two weeks. It's probably a reaction to Danolloes take away further up the street which opened about 2 years ago and has seating.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dudda wrote: »
    That street has had its fair number of pubs. The one across from the Blue Thunder take away spent a lot of money refurbishing the place during the good times and opened Lighting Jacks. It only lasted what felt like a year before it became Mocha which was a cafe type pub. Remember a couple of years ago the Government were on about having these European type cafe bars hoping people would drink less than if they were in a pub. Well that's what I always thought Mocha was. Anyway as far as I know they have B&B rooms upstairs so that could be the place where this Connacht Inn is opening.

Top Nosh is closed about 3 weeks now. It only got drinking people late at night. I don't think it opened until 5pm most days. I don't think they targeted students or the lunch crowd enough. Subway about 100 meters away around the corner has a que out the door at lunch.

Cafollas the take away on Castle Street has planning permission sign up to extend into the vacant premises to its left. They are expanding and creating a seating area. Planning permission date is 14th August so it should receive it in the next two weeks. It's probably a reaction to Danolloes take away further up the street which opened about 2 years ago and has seating.

Danollas has been there considerably longer than 2 years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Danollas has been there considerably longer than 2 years.

For sure, clicking on 20 years or more since I first set foot in that place :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yop wrote: »

Indeed, I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on their taco fries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Indeed, I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on their taco fries.

And I haven't been able to see my toes since :D Every Sunday myself and the GF (now wife) used to sneak down for a bag of chips, STOP your making me hungry thinking of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Maybe in Westport you did but the one in Castlebar can't be there more than 9-10 years!

12 element wrote: »
    Maybe in Westport you did but the one in Castlebar can't be there more than 9-10 years!

Lived in Cbar so unless I was "beamed up" to Westport and back then it was Cbar :D

Danollas in Castlebar is in what used to be The Castle Bistro Pub so unless it was somewhere else before that then I'm pretty sure that its only been in Castlebar around 10 years.

See post below from 2003

http://www.castlebar.ie/board/0403/68735.htm

bistro.jpg

Danollas only arrived in Castlebar in 2004 according to documents filed when they were looking for a take away licence, change signage etc. You can go through the documents in Castlebar Council and see. It was the Castle Bistro shown above before that. Danollas got a minor refurbishment a few years since which I was making me think it was sooner but 10 years sounds right. Not sure where you are getting the 20 years from.

Where abouts on the council website did you find that? Maybe you can search 'The Connaught Inn' and see if you get any results?

Where abouts on the council website did you find that? Maybe you can search 'The Connaught Inn' and see if you get any results?

In the Planning applications. http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/CBRselectplan.asp?type=

Nothing about the Connaught Inn. That could be for two reasons.
    • They haven't yet applied for any changes
    • They aren't making any major changes as it's already a B&B upstairs and pub downstairs so don't need to apply for planning.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/SearchPlanning/PlanningLists/

and the town council one

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/CBRSelectPlan.asp

Dont see any for the new pub but if its reopneing it wont need planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Has the Danollas conundrum in Castlebar being solved? I have a recollection of a chipper there alright but not sure if it was Danollas or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Danollas in Castlebar is in what used to be The Castle Bistro Pub so unless it was somewhere else before that then I'm pretty sure that its only been in Castlebar around 10 years.

See post below from 2003

bistro.jpg

I remember going in their as a child with my family having dinner, then into the carpark behind it to the Fun Fair!

Top Nosh is being taken over by new people, it wasn't do well as it only ever got people late at night and with the Kebab place across from Welcome Inn opened it lost a lot of custom. Can't beat Blue Thunder though, best chips in Castlebar! :)

I was guessing the Connaught Inn would go into where Lighting Jacks was, not many other places in Castlebar suitable for it, don't know how well it would do up their, the previous place was only ever busy when their was court on in town as it was the nearest place to the courthouse.

Pat Moran has opened many pubs around town if im not mistaken? Mainly up where he is now but he also ran the off license at one stage across the road from Bar One, if I opened the amount of pubs he has and they closed/failed id give up!

I was guessing the Connaught Inn would go into where Lighting Jacks was, not many other places in Castlebar suitable for it, don't know how well it would do up their, the previous place was only ever busy when their was court on in town as it was the nearest place to the courthouse.

Tolsters is closer to the courthouse and has been open since before Lightning Jacks was around! Lightning Jacks was 'Shorts' before that then that wine bar and then maggies I think. Has been closed for a good few years though at this stage.

• Advertisement

See post below from 2003

bistro.jpg

Apologise its cafollas I was on about.

Apologise its cafollas I was on about.

will you be reserving a table at the opening night of the new bit :D

irishgeo wrote: »
    will you be reserving a table at the opening night of the new bit :D

I might have to now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Yes sold sign up on Moka has to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 groucho1

Pat Moran has opened many pubs around town if im not mistaken? Mainly up where he is now but he also ran the off license at one stage across the road from Bar One, if I opened the amount of pubs he has and they closed/failed id give up!

Maggie Shortt sold to PM who t/a 'Lightning Jacks'. No where like it in town, leased it out and it was called 'Moka'. Massive live nights with Hazel O'Connor and Buck Taylor and other artists. Sunday afternoons in Lightning Jacks with whitewater and barbeques...where were you?!! Grey Traynor and Ray Lynam in Coopers/Pat Morans - jeez the place was wedged...
    A lesser man probably would give up. Not P. Ya have to admire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

groucho1 wrote: »
    Maggie Shortt sold to PM who t/a 'Lightning Jacks'. No where like it in town, leased it out and it was called 'Moka'. Massive live nights with Hazel O'Connor and Buck Taylor and other artists. Sunday afternoons in Lightning Jacks with whitewater and barbeques...where were you?!! Grey Traynor and Ray Lynam in Coopers/Pat Morans - jeez the place was wedged...
    A lesser man probably would give up. Not P. Ya have to admire him.

tell the truth, thats you Pat isnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I see the bar is now open, anybody been in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I see the bar is now open, anybody been in?

Nope but seemed to be a decent crowd in there Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 groucho1

Notch000 wrote: »
    tell the truth, thats you Pat isnt it ?

No it's not P at all. You can pm me for my full name and address. I am however a good friend and a relation and was surprised to see a person named individually with comments about his past endeavours.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

place looks great and nice website

Advertisement