Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for ribs in oven?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I'm making ribs tonight and I've already slathered them in a home-made barbecue sace. They're marinating in the fridge as we speak and I'm going to cook them in a few hours.

What temperature should I set the oven to? And roughly, how long do you think they'll take to cook? (Electric oven, fan assisted.)

The last time I made these, they took ages and were a bit tough.
    They look like these but imagine them halved again.

http://www.devonrose.com/images/products/bacon%20ribs.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd be inclined to cook them at 160C for an hour and a half but cover them with foil for the first hour or hour and a quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fireworkman101

Bout 1hr45mins at 180 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks for the replies, that sounds good.
    The last time I cooked them I thought they'd only take half an hour and I took them out--no wonder they were so tough.
    I think I'll try your idea Dizzy, I like the idea of wrapping them in foil to retain moistness.
    I'll post a pic in the Here's What I had for Dinner forum later too!

Thanks also, fireworkman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Enjoy the ribs tonight. For the next time here is a little tip for you which I learnt and guaranteed will make the rib meat fall off the bone. Buy your fresh rib, half the rack, into a big pot of water, bring to the boil, the simmer for 1 hour. You can leave to cool if you want (will even keep in the fridge overnight). Cover in your sauce into the oven @ 180 deg for 20/25 mins - all you are doing is heating them. D E L I C I O U S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you hadn't already marinated them I'd have suggested boiling them first as Layinghen said. I usually do that when we're barbecuing them and it makes them really tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

+1 on most of the above,
    The longer and lower temperature usually the better (I usually boil mine first as above)
    Prob a bit late ,but don't wrap in tin-foil...tent the tin foil over the oven dish (so it doesn't stick to the ribs ) ...
    Hope you enjoyed

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Layinghen wrote: »
    Enjoy the ribs tonight. For the next time here is a little tip for you which I learnt and guaranteed will make the rib meat fall off the bone. Buy your fresh rib, half the rack, into a big pot of water, bring to the boil, the simmer for 1 hour. You can leave to cool if you want (will even keep in the fridge overnight). Cover in your sauce into the oven @ 180 deg for 20/25 mins - all you are doing is heating them. D E L I C I O U S.

I was going to do this but only remembered AFTER I'd smothered them in the sauce.
    Thanks for this :)

Markcheese wrote: »
    +1 on most of the above,
    The longer and lower temperature usually the better (I usually boil mine first as above)
    Prob a bit late ,but don't wrap in tin-foil...tent the tin foil over the oven dish (so it doesn't stick to the ribs ) ...
    Hope you enjoyed

Not too late, haven't cooked them yet...excellent tip, Mark. Will make a tent of the foil instead of wrapping them. Thank you!

Disaster...
    The ribs turned out to be bacon ribs :mad::mad:

I sent boyfriend out this morning and told him to get pork ribs and after cooking them lovingly in the oven, under a tent of foil and smothering them in home made barbecue sauce, they turned out to be bacon ribs.

Far too salty and couldn't taste the sauce.
    Bleh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Men:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Layinghen wrote: »
    Men:rolleyes:

What, all of us? :eek:

fussyonion wrote: »
    Disaster...
    The ribs turned out to be bacon ribs :mad::mad:(

NO! That happened to us once - we were invited to my brother's for dinner when he was newly married and we were looking forward to the ribs, but they couldn't get pork and decided to buy bacon ones instead. It was poisonous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bacon ribs (bodice in Cork city) are delicious.... But they need to be soaked and boiled first , then your barbecue sauce and in the oven .... There's another thread somewhere about em ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've done the same, you could bounce them off the wall or use them as tyres they went so tough on me.

And saltyyyyy, even after steeping overnight - yak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Like 2-2.5 hours at 140, at least!

Make a dry rub from brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder.

rub it on liberally, front and back, wrap in tinfoil, place bone side up in the over, leave it there for an hour and a half, check them, the meat should be shrinking away from the ends of the bones and plumping up in the middle.

Then pour all the juices into your favourite BBQ sauce in a pot and reduce it until sticky, paint onto the ribs and put them under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes repainting them a few times to build up the glaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

No need to boil them at all, you just need to give them plenty of time, low and slow is the way to go.

Doing ribs properly at home in the oven takes time, but surprisingly little effort.

You will need...

1 full rack of pork ribs with all the meat on but skin off, not stripped (makes all the difference). Your butcher may just refer to it as a whole pork belly.

olive oil & pepper to coat
    half a bag of light or dark (depending on how dark you like it) muscavado sugar
    about a cup of red wine vinegar
    same of tomato sauce or 1/4 cup of tomato puree
    2 heaped teaspoons of english mustard
    half a cup of honey
    3 tablespoons of worcestersostershire sauce
    1-2 teaspoons of smoked paprika

turn your oven up to 220c to preheat and then as you put the ribs in, turn down to 140c and leave it there.

okay, so dead simple, but takes time to do it right but so unbelievably worth it you'll never do them any other way. 

so, find a nice big tray to lay your ribs flat in, cutting off the end if required.  the easiest way i've found is to use the big catering sized thick disposable foil trays because the sauce tends to get carbonised onto the cooking tray and this way you can just throw them out when done.  i learnt from experience to double up the trays and use two as occasionally a pointy bit of rib can pierce the tray and if there is only one it'll leak sauce into the bottom of your oven and quite often, you'll only find out when your kitchen fills with smoke! 

anyway, i digress...

drizzle the ribs with olive oil and season with plenty of fresh black pepper (no salt), then throw them in the top of the pre-heated oven and turn down the heat immediately after closing the door.

give them 10-15 minutes until you start to see the sticky up bits turning in colour and whip them out quickly (so the heat doesn't escape the oven and turn them over and then back in again for 10-15 minutes more.

then throw all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix up ready to baste the ribs.

from now on, you're going to quickly pull out the ribs every 20-30 minutes and turn & baste them and back in the oven again.

make sure you glob big thick amounts of the marinade on top so it pools and can thicken up and caramelise in the oven. some of the marinade will be leaking off and cooking out on the bottom (and eventually burning) but just mop up what you can before it goes too dark and reuse it on the ribs as you're basting.

it takes 10-12 good bastes to get the proper coating on the ribs, but trust me its worth it and the meat will fall off the bone. once they're done, just cut them into strips in between each rib with a good knife and baste some of the cooked out marinade onto the fresh cut sides and you're all done. 

also, if you have some extra marinade and you're doing chicken wings, try cooking out the marinade in a pan and tossing a batch of freshly cooked wings in it.

Advertisement