Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a USB Flash Drive

Options
  • 05-10-2013 8:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need a couple of USB Flash drives. The last few I bought were incredibly slow so I want to pick something faster next time. I assume I just go with USB 3.0 But what is a good read/write speed? I want the cheaper end, they seem to vary wildly. I don't need anything huge, 8gb or 16gb is fine.

A look on mymemory finds these:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-8GB-Courier-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive iS 10mb write speed decent? The 16gb version has 120mb write speed.

Is this ok to pick or can anyone suggest a better one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Verbatim Store n' Go gets good reviews everywhere i've seen it, and it's also one of the few good ones that does an 8GB size. I don't have one, but will probably get one next time i'm looking. Which probably won't be long, as i lose them often :( .

Verbatim Store 'n' Go - 8GB - €7.18 Dabs.ie

The drives it competes against (but loses (Slightly)) aren't usually available in 8GB and are more expensive.

Lexar JumpDrive 16GB - €34.41 (Very similar to each other - Hard to say if either are better)

Kingston DataTraveler 16GB - €17.39
    (Possibly available cheaper and in 8GB, slightly better)

There's also the 'big boys' - the Sandisk Extreme, Corsair Voyager GT and the Toshiba Transmemory-EX (Toshiba not available here yet afaik)

The Verbatim competes against those, and for the difference in price, it's well worth going for the Verbatim.

EDIT -

I just noticed the verbatim is available on Dabs4Work for €5.84

The Lexar S23/S33 offer good performance at the cheaper end. They're the same inside but the 33 looks to be sturdier.

Even though you say you don't want large capacity, be aware that write speed tends to be higher with larger drives due to the way they arrange the flash chips in parallel.
    For the S23/33:

8GB in orange (up to 100MB/s read, 15MB/s write)
    16GB in teal (up to 100MB/s read, 30MB/s write)
    32GB in green (up to 100MB/s read, 55MB/s write)
    64GB in purple (up to 100MB/s read, 55MB/s write)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sitting here waiting as my current usb writes at udner 5mb per second. Zzzzzzzz. So want to order 2 new ones now, but I was undecided as to what to go for. Finally decided on the Kingston but dabs want nearly €8 for delivery! That's a ripoff. Mymmemory are cheaper but I cannot decide which one to buy! Their site is not very user friendly finding the perfect one...

I finally found the Lexar S23/33 and they look great value and fast but I checked out some reviews on Amazon and they are not great...
    http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDrive-Flash-Drive-LJDS23-16GASBNA/product-reviews/B00B6OX4SO/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDrive-Flash-Drive-LJDS33-16GASBNA/dp/B00B6OX4MU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382976737&sr=1-3-fkmr2&keywords=JumpDrive+S33+16G

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Zascar wrote: »
    I need a couple of USB Flash drives. The last few I bought were incredibly slow so I want to pick something faster next time. I assume I just go with USB 3.0 But what is a good read/write speed? I want the cheaper end, they seem to vary wildly. I don't need anything huge, 8gb or 16gb is fine.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-8GB-Courier-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive iS 10mb write speed decent? The 16gb version has 120mb write speed.

Thanks

Just bought 32GB SanDisk flash drive from Argos (The Square) for 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Thanks

Just bought 32GB SanDisk flash drive from Argos (The Square) for 15 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Do you know the Write speed? I'm after something with 20mb+

They are the USB 2.0 ones. All of the Sandisk have dropped in price. I picked up 4 x 8GB @ €4 each two or three months ago, I have one left :( .

I think it's the Cruzer Blade.
    http://www.mymemory.ie/USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk/SanDisk-32GB-USB-Flash-Drive-Triple-Bundle/

Average read speed of each
    Cruzer Edge Read speed ~ 17Mbps - Write Speed ~ 5Mbps
    Cruzer Blade Read speed ~ 18Mbps - Write Speed ~ 5Mbps
    Cruzer Switch Read speed ~ 18Mbps - Write Speed ~ 5bps

I bought the Sandisk Extreme 32GB version for €28 delivered. I paid in US$ as it was better in currency conversion. (Same Price as the 16GB version from UK)
    It is well worth it.

Read Speeds ~ 30Mpbs - Write Speeds ~ 22Mbps

I bought it from Memo More
    277960.jpg

After looking around a while more I decided to just go for one of each of the Lexar S23 & S33. It's deffo the best value fast usb. I'll see how the build quality is, some encouraging reviews on amazon but I'll see how they are and let you know!

After looking around a while more I decided to just go for one of each of the Lexar S23 & S33. It's deffo the best value fast usb. I'll see how the build quality is, some encouraging reviews on amazon but I'll see how they are and let you know!

I had linked them in the above post, but i saw you had commented so i deleted them.

I have to agree.

After I Kill You Scum! mentioned them i had a look, mixed reviews, but good write speeds and on mymemory for a good price.

Got these today. Very happy. There had been some complaints on the Amazon reviews about being cheap and plastiky. BS - very high quality plastic, nicely made. Even on the S33, when you swivel it the usb bit extends out. Nice little touch. I have not tested speeds yet I'll try tonight but it says 100mb read and 30mb write on the front of the packaging.
    lexar-usb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi guys.

What about this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DataTraveler-Flash-Casing/dp/B008QGQZAE/ref=zg_bs_430554031_2

Overall it's got great ratings but it has loads of 1 star ratings also. :confused:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement