Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney or Melbourne

Options
  • 05-10-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just made the plunge and booked the flights for myself and the oh. We have flights booked for Sydney for mid January.

We have not yet decided to either stay in Melbourne or Sydney. Is there a big difference between the two and which one would you stay 6months in? Any tips would be much appreciated. Most people i talk to seem to go to Melbourne, i dont know why though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are small differences between the two. People who have settled in Sydney will say Sydney, and those on Melbourne will say Melbourne.
    Those in Perth will say "there's other cities in Oz you know"

Nobody can tell you which you'll prefer. A biased opinion isn't all that useful. The best thing to do is see fir yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sydney has better weather and job market at the moment but depends on what you do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I lived in both for a few months each and IMO there's not much between them. Id happily live in either although the OH would prefer Melbourne, but maybe that's because she found more steady employment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

This comes up time and time again on Boards! People living in Melbourne say Melbourne is far better and vice versa!

I live in Sydney and love it. I've been to Melbourne a number of times and think its a fantastic city. The craic around the Melbourne Cup is unbelievable and the nightlife is class. Its really good for shopping and theres a brilliant arts and culture scene. Theres just generally a really great vibe about the place.

I don't think I'd live in it though. No 1 reason- the weather is too unpredictable. Whenever I've been there, I've experienced 4 seasons in a day! Literally went from wearing a tank top to needing a jacket and umbrella! IMO, winters are much colder than in Sydney. Also, the closest beach to the city is St Kilda which in my opinion is pretty crap in comparison to Sydney Beaches. For me, living close to a gorgeous beach was pretty high on my list when moving to the the other side of the world and Sydney works for me in this respect.

Best of luck in whereever you decide, both are fantastic places!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

A lot of people iv talked to said go to Sydney however they prefer living in Melbourne. Iv been told that its more expensive to live in Sydney. I might do IT work or any sort of work. I have 2 years experience however i wouldnt mind being more flexible with work rather than doing a 9-5 job and missing out on great experiences. My gf may do general work. Is the job front doable in Sydney. Iv read that many people say the beaches in Sydney are lovely, but it costs a fortunate to live near them so most people live on the other side of town.

Whats the public transport like in Sydney. I intend to cycle and use public transport for my entire stay there.

Im edging towards Sydney for the weather however it would be nice to know what im getting myself into :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement