Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 6th year suffering from lack of motivation... HELP NEEDED

• 05-10-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really. Studying English, Irish, French, Biology, Accounting and History at HL and Maths at OL since September. Worked really hard last year and got 535 "points" but failed Maths, and more importantly, I effectively burned out. Trying to find a good strong pace this year but I can't seem to work up the energy or enthusiasm to do anything, particularly at the weekends. The Christmas exams will be the first hurdle (they're in mid-November) and they seem insurmountable at the moment. I had my PTM last week and my teachers are very hopeful for me, but I'm struggling to see the point of anything anymore.

Ultimately the dream would be to get 500 points in the hope of securing a place in a Journalism/Media Studies degree in any university I want, but then I work out the grades I want - particularly an A1 in English - and the points go up dramatically to 560, which I feel is vastly beyond my reach. I'm just in a very low place right now (as you probably tell by this ranty angsty stream of consciousness) and don't know how to structure my time or get myself motivated.

All advice from sixth years past and present greatly appreciated! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It's next August. Results Day. You didn't get the points you needed and know you were capable of getting.

You either have to repeat or take a course you don't want. Take the course you don't want, you'll always be wondering what if. Repeat, and it's just a longer slog to get where you want to go, but you will be watching all your friends go and have an amazing time at college while you go for another year at the LC.

I didn't get the points i know i could have, and i'll always wonder what if

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I'm repeating, it sucks. I missed my dream course by ten points. Imagine the difference if I had never had moments like you're having now. Wise up and do the work, you'll only regret it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

It's results morning. You're queuing to get the grades you've waited for what feels like an eternity to receive. Your friends are jumping with joy and emotional to the point of tears due to their excellent news, you are still waiting. Heart pounding, stomach filled with swarms of butterflies you find the envelope with your name printed on it. Your fate is sealed within. Palms sweaty, you fail three times to tear the seal. Every inch of your being is shaking. This is the moment of truth. Everything goes slow from now on, you no longer hear the screams of blissful pleasure surrounding you. You no longer see the expressions of shock and happiness at it's purest form. You see that golden brown envelope. So 4th time lucky, you rip the seal and out pops the much coveted ivory sheet of paper that has given you countless nightmares, panic attacks and temper tantrums. The words in front of you mean the world to not just you, but your family and friends too. To those celebrating already in the school corridors.
    How do you tell them that you missed your course by 10 points, due to laziness? Surely it will tarnish the feelings of euphoria felt by your fellow classmates among you, in the musky grounds of your secondary school. Now they too will be forced to endure the dire feelings of melancholy and despair. Your mother, anxiously waiting in tears in the car, will not be crying due to pride of achievement but due to sadness and disappointment. The collective candles of each and every able bodied grandmother in the country will suddenly be a waste in your eyes. Your life will be a series on what if's if you choose to settle for a course that just doesn't quite fit your definition of destiny. And if you repeat, are you truly guaranteed that you won't be lazy again next year, while all your fellow companions are living the life in college that you so desperately desire?
    So what's it going to be, study or boards.ie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

While you've still got time and you're not bogged down with work, go through the websites of colleges near you. You're pretty much guaranteed to find something you like. Once you have, motivation should be much easier to come by.

Advertisement