Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting bums on seats - LOI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Bohs fan myself. Pay monthly.

Out of curiosity does anybody know how much the prize money for winning the league and cups are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Out of curiosity does anybody know how much the prize money for winning the league and cups are?

Total prize money in the Premier is €240,000. Guessing around €70,000 for the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Total prize money in the Premier is €240,000. Guessing around €70,000 for the winner.

John Delaney allegedly earns €340,000 a year.

Puts it into perspective doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

MANUTD99 wrote: »

100k for winning the league

50k for the cup

10k for the league cup

After further reading on the prize money it seems to be kept low as clubs will just spent any extra on player wages...whether its working or not its up for debate

For any Sligo Rovers fans out there may I ask did your club do anything significant to encourage and increase attendances over the last few years or is it mostly down to a winning town ? Always impressed with their following both home and away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

After further reading on the prize money it seems to be kept low as clubs will just spent any extra on player wages...whether its working or not its up for debate
    it was over 1million in 2007 its fallen to 20-25% of its level then... i like to contrast that to delaneys wages again thats fallen what 60k or is still 85% of his hayday.

the demise of Monaghan, Galway, Derry (well they were expelled before their demise but it wouldnt have come out without the initial financial issues), Kildare County, Cork would suggest otherwise as to if its working.

Personally id just like to see more of the good things thrown around, a few ads on RTE wouldnt go amiss.
    The lads didnt get better with the flight to england, mccourt was doing this with Derry

and heres one from the weekend just past in the league (see it on MNS tonight :v)

John Delaney allegedly earns €340,000 a year.

Puts it into perspective doesn't it?

John Delaney - "It wouldn't be something substantial"‏

Gavin Doherty 12/09/2013
    To: info@fai.ie, fran.gavin@fai.ie, eamon.naughton@fai.ie, john.delaney@fai.ie

To Whom It May Concern,

Today Mr. Delaney stated in his interview:

"Everything is confidential. It was amicable, in terms of the monetary monies, it wouldn't be something substantial, I can say that at least."

Can substantial be defined on par with the FAI's other expenses?

€74,000,000 paid towards the development of Lansdowne? Trapattoni's €1,000,000 a year wages? Trapattoni's predecessors €1,000,000 a year? John Delaneys' €340,000 reduced wage a year? The €240,000 combined prize money in the League of Ireland? €17,000 each club has to pay to play in the League? The €300 fines dished out to LoI clubs for chants? €50 some players get paid in the League?

How can the Chief Executive say that any sum of money isn't substantial? I can guarantee you any club in Ireland would jump at a few thousand euro to their coffers.

On top of the above, I'd like to know why no response or reaction was given from the FAI with regards to Trapattoni's comments about the League recently?

"In Ireland there is no league. Our players play in England. In Sweden and Austria there is a league.

That is different. Maybe you do not know, but I know this.

I was in other countries as a manager and it is different. When every game and every Sunday, there is a game in a league, it is different."

Sweden only started one player from the Swedish league against Ireland last Friday. And Austria didn't start one player from the Austrian league against Germany last week. How can he be allowed to say comments that are unjustified?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Gavin Doherty.

Needless to say I received no reply...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Big call by Brian Kerr last nignt on MNS. FAI need to put back substantial money back into the game. He said "it's ridicules that the league winners get 100k and have to give back 20k to take part in the league for next season"

lala88 wrote: »
    Big call by Brian Kerr last nignt on MNS. FAI need to put back substantial money back into the game. He said "it's ridicules that the league winners get 100k and have to give back 20k to take part in the league for next season"
    yea thought that was a great line... could be pointed out too that only the top 3 (i think, 4 max) get more prize money than the league entry fee

also anyone ever do the math....
    was it 17k mentioned for league entry a few posts back (id 19 in my head)
    20 clubs x 17 is 340k
    league + FAI & EA cups combined prize fund is 300k

so where's our other 40 grand... plus airtricity sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's like buying a raffle ticket for €50 with the chance of winning a prize worth €250. But there is only one top prize, 20 other people in the draw and you have to pay for all your expenses getting to and from the raffle and you have to pay the guy who pulls out the ticket. In short, its not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Sit back and relax for a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bet many so-called football fans in this country didn't even watch the great game that was on RTE 2 on Sunday.

Too snobby to watch that old rubbish, sure we only watch the cream of the crop, the EPL games. Didn't you know there was a big Welsh derby on on Sunday?

With this type of attitude I am afraid we will never get bums on seats. I really do fear foe the league, as attendances are falling all over. For a team like Pats, who played great football all season, to only get 2000 at their last game when they were being presented with the trophy, sums it all up for me.

They played us in the Cup Final less than a year before, and I'd say they had 6,000 at it in the Aviva. Where did the 4000 Pats fans go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bet many so-called football fans in this country didn't even watch the great game that was on RTE 2 on Sunday.

Too snobby to watch that old rubbish, sure we only watch the cream of the crop, the EPL games. Didn't you know there was a big Welsh derby on on Sunday?

With this type of attitude I am afraid we will never get bums on seats. I really do fear foe the league, as attendances are falling all over. For a team like Pats, who played great football all season, to only get 2000 at their last game when they were being presented with the trophy, sums it all up for me.

They played us in the Cup Final less than a year before, and I'd say they had 6,000 at it in the Aviva. Where did the 4000 Pats fans go?

Great game and all that but the vast-vast majority of games on TV were absolutely disgraceful. If somebody watched that game and then in March decided to give the League opener a go on tv, they'd be more likely to be disappointed than not.

Even as somebody that has been going to games for years, I cant even watch a full game of it on TV. The only thing that got me through the first half of the Cup Final was that there was something big riding on the game.

If Pats were to play Sligo in the season opener, I'll probably end up switching off after 20 mins like I have done for all the league games this season.

I doubt you have ever been to a game hillman,just a huge troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great game and all that but the vast-vast majority of games on TV were absolutely disgraceful. If somebody watched that game and then in March decided to give the League opener a go on tv, they'd be more likely to be disappointed than not.

Even as somebody that has been going to games for years, I cant even watch a full game of it on TV. The only thing that got me through the first half of the Cup Final was that there was something big riding on the game.

If Pats were to play Sligo in the season opener, I'll probably end up switching off after 20 mins like I have done for all the league games this season.

So like most of the games in all the professional leagues in Europe then?

I cancelled my $ky subscription about 3 yrs ago because I was fed up watching rubbish football packaged up as something special and marketed to the hilt. For every great game in the EPL, or La Liga, you have to sit through a lot of rubbish. Thats the nature of the game.

I won't argue with you that there are a lot of poor games in the LoI, of course there is. Same equation applies, plus you are talking about some guys earning a few hundred per week instead of £250,000 per week. When you think what the guys are paid in the EPL, even those playing for the likes of Stoke etc, you should expect better games more often.

Then again, maybe its because I am from Derry and I am cheering on my hometown club, that makes the LoI bearable and interesting for me. I wouldn't really get too upset about 'my' team losing if my team was from Liverpool or Manchester or London or Barcelona.

Guys as part of the project group we have been developing some marketing strategies with an obvious aim to increase attendances for Limerick FC.

We have segmented the market and decided to target 5 key profiles.

These include

Youth
    Students
    Irregular Fans
    Dormant Fans
    Away fans

We then decided to come up with ways to get more of the above attending games. Some of our preliminary ideas are listed below

Youth-- Youth supporters club with offers,awareness promotions etc

Students- Student ambassadors arranging mini events etc with the aim of getting a couple bus loads to games

Dormant and Irregular - Basically increasing awareness levels through a campaign we have yet to flesh out

Away - build on relationships with clubs (some clubs) with goodwill gestures like offering to pay for the buses down etc

Obviously the ideas are very basic and in the preliminary stages but what do current LOI fans think? What has and hasnt worked in the past? Any ideas or suggestions feel free to share!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Guys as part of the project group we have been developing some marketing strategies with an obvious aim to increase attendances for Limerick FC.

These include

Youth
    Students
    Irregular Fans
    Dormant Fans
    Away fans

We then decided to come up with ways to get more of the above attending games. Some of our preliminary ideas are listed below

Youth-- Youth supporters club with offers,awareness promotions etc

Students- Student ambassadors arranging mini events etc with the aim of getting a couple bus loads to games

Dormant and Irregular - Basically increasing awareness levels through a campaign we have yet to flesh out

Away - build on relationships with clubs (some clubs) with goodwill gestures like offering to pay for the buses down etc

Obviously the ideas are very basic and in the preliminary stages but what do current LOI fans think? What has and hasnt worked in the past? Any ideas or suggestions feel free to share!

The price has to be looked into.
    €17 into Cork €12 Student
    €15 into every other stadium €10 student
    €10 into Oriel to the ground for all though (which has helped improve attendances)

Its cheaper to watch Bayern Munich or Dortmund than it is to watch Cork City (thats madness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

€10 into Oriel to the ground for all though (which has helped improve attendances)

Its cheaper to watch Bayern Munich or Dortmund than it is to watch Cork City (thats madness)
    We can't reduce our price. It won't bring more money in if we do and we don't have enough turnover to take the hit.

Keeping the tickets cheap is one of the many things I love about German football but we're not comparing like with like. They have a massive population with an appetite for live football.

Attendances in Oriel were helped by success on the pitch. Its the only thing Irish 'supporters' recognise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

You're right about Pats there. The week previous against Derry we had well over 3000. I was hoping that the rain would stay off the night we played Derry so that more fans would come out. You'd expect the trophy presentation to be enough for some fans but maybe the Friday night, combined with the weather dropped the attendance.

Also, Inchicore is a smaller community which again may explain a smaller attendance. I hope that next year we can get a higher average gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

These include

Youth
    Students
    Irregular Fans
    Dormant Fans
    Away fans

Perhaps you could add another group - current/regular fans - with a view of getting regulars who pick and choose their games to buy a season ticket and for season ticket holders to remain so. Ideas for getting new fans is always looked at, and it is of course vital, but even equally important, perhaps even more so, is keeping the fans we currently have.

Paying, fully or partly, for buses is a very good idea. You could go from getting a handful of away fans to a couple of hundred. Take Cork City, for example. We have a relatively high home support. But our away support, bar trips like Waterford, Limerick and Cobh, tend to be comparatively smaller due to the length of a lot of our away games and the frequency of long trips compared to other clubs. It's expensive to travel to away games, when most are 3+ hours away in Dublin, as well as a couple of 6+ hour trips to Sligo and Derry. Something like free buses could see a very big away crowd.

On the other hand, though, you'd have to keep in mind how much you'd make off it. For a Dublin club, paying for the buses might outweigh what's gained in ticket prices. For Limerick, most fans using the free buses might have come anyway, because it's a close trip that probably would've gotten in the region of 400 or 500 regardless. Definitely something to think about, though.

Not sure where you got the €17 for a City ticket from. The last two seasons, we were the lowest price in the Premier for a seated ticket, at €12 in 2012 and €13 this season. No student ticket, bar the final three matches for UCC students at a tenner, though. Next season, we'll be in line with the rest of the league with €15 tickets. For members, though, a season ticket for a dad and two schoolkids would only cost just over €16 a match.

As stated above, it's hard to reduce ticket prices across the board, the usual example being if you reduced them from €15 to €10, would you get the 50% extra attendances that you'd need to cover yourself? Probably not. €15 is probably the optimum price for a Premier Division ticket. Less, and you're unlikely to increase the attendance by enough, more and you'll probably end up losing fans at a higher rate than the price increase.

It might be okay to charge more for "better" category tickets, though. Eg, €20 for a reserved seat in the main stand. The important thing is to keep general admission low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So like most of the games in all the professional leagues in Europe then?

I cancelled my $ky subscription about 3 yrs ago because I was fed up watching rubbish football packaged up as something special and marketed to the hilt. For every great game in the EPL, or La Liga, you have to sit through a lot of rubbish. Thats the nature of the game.

I won't argue with you that there are a lot of poor games in the LoI, of course there is. Same equation applies, plus you are talking about some guys earning a few hundred per week instead of £250,000 per week. When you think what the guys are paid in the EPL, even those playing for the likes of Stoke etc, you should expect better games more often.

Then again, maybe its because I am from Derry and I am cheering on my hometown club, that makes the LoI bearable and interesting for me. I wouldn't really get too upset about 'my' team losing if my team was from Liverpool or Manchester or London or Barcelona.

I would agree with this. Most domestic league games around Europe are rubbish to watch. Personally I only watch full games of the really big games and matches involving players I really love to watch and the rest I would just watch the highlights.

I only watched 3 LOI games in full on tv this season. 2 were involving Shelbourne because I support them and the cup final. For a neutral the rest of the games were beyond watchable.

Going to games is a different story. You have no distractions and you feel a bit involved in the game. A decent game to watch live can still look awful from tv.

The point I was trying to make is that if we know the games are going to lack in quality then we need spice them up by formatting the league in a more intense way. The games need to mean more. If you are not affiliated to a club then the LOI is fairly unwatchable until the last 4-5 games of the season or the culmination of the Cups.

We are talking about "Getting bums on seats". We've all been moaning for years about getting the LOI on tv but IMO (barring the cup final) all of these games on TV would do more to drive people away than attract them to the grounds.

I'd reckon Dundalk will be charging 12 in next season and 17 for the stand.Still cheap as hell for the product on the field.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Perhaps you could add another group - current/regular fans - with a view of getting regulars who pick and choose their games to buy a season ticket and for season ticket holders to remain so. Ideas for getting new fans is always looked at, and it is of course vital, but even equally important, perhaps even more so, is keeping the fans we currently have.

Paying, fully or partly, for buses is a very good idea. You could go from getting a handful of away fans to a couple of hundred. Take Cork City, for example. We have a relatively high home support. But our away support, bar trips like Waterford, Limerick and Cobh, tend to be comparatively smaller due to the length of a lot of our away games and the frequency of long trips compared to other clubs. It's expensive to travel to away games, when most are 3+ hours away in Dublin, as well as a couple of 6+ hour trips to Sligo and Derry. Something like free buses could see a very big away crowd.

On the other hand, though, you'd have to keep in mind how much you'd make off it. For a Dublin club, paying for the buses might outweigh what's gained in ticket prices. For Limerick, most fans using the free buses might have come anyway, because it's a close trip that probably would've gotten in the region of 400 or 500 regardless. Definitely something to think about, though.

Not sure where you got the €17 for a City ticket from. The last two seasons, we were the lowest price in the Premier for a seated ticket, at €12 in 2012 and €13 this season. No student ticket, bar the final three matches for UCC students at a tenner, though. Next season, we'll be in line with the rest of the league with €15 tickets. For members, though, a season ticket for a dad and two schoolkids would only cost just over €16 a match.

As stated above, it's hard to reduce ticket prices across the board, the usual example being if you reduced them from €15 to €10, would you get the 50% extra attendances that you'd need to cover yourself? Probably not. €15 is probably the optimum price for a Premier Division ticket. Less, and you're unlikely to increase the attendance by enough, more and you'll probably end up losing fans at a higher rate than the price increase.

It might be okay to charge more for "better" category tickets, though. Eg, €20 for a reserved seat in the main stand. The important thing is to keep general admission low.

Great response ! Thank you! We are definatley aiming to keep the regular fan and have dedicated a significant section to that - they after all are the club when it comes down to it.

One plan we have been discussing with a few members from supporters clubs was arranging some sort of event maybe before games where its a comfortable enough scenario to bring a friend/family member/work colleague along etc? Keep the current fans a part of things while inviting in new ones - also helps overcome the barrier some people have been saying where they feel its a closed shop? Am I in dreamland or is something like that actionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

This gets mentioned all the time, but it's only the standing sections of bayern and dortmund that are that cheap. The vast majority of tickets for those teams cost > 30 euro [1] [2], and you would generally be pretty lucky to get a standing ticket for Bayern at least, I've never been to Dortmund.

Also, as a percentage of turnover, matchday income is a pittance to those clubs compared to LoI teams, so they can afford to be generous to the fans like that.

I really can't see how clubs can bring ticket prices down any further. As someone else said in this thread, if you drop prices to a tenner, you then need to get 150% your normal attendance per match to make up the shortfall, and that just won't happen. You could let everyone in for free and you wouldn't get those numbers for most clubs.

[1] http://www.bvb.de/?%98Y%1B%E4%F4%9D
    [2] http://www.stadiumguide.com/allianz/

simonw wrote: »
    This gets mentioned all the time, but it's only the standing sections of bayern and dortmund that are that cheap. The vast majority of tickets for those teams cost > 30 euro [1] [2], and you would generally be pretty lucky to get a standing ticket for Bayern at least, I've never been to Dortmund.

Also, as a percentage of turnover, matchday income is a pittance to those clubs compared to LoI teams, so they can afford to be generous to the fans like that.

I really can't see how clubs can bring ticket prices down any further. As someone else said in this thread, if you drop prices to a tenner, you then need to get 150% your normal attendance per match to make up the shortfall, and that just won't happen. You could let everyone in for free and you wouldn't get those numbers for most clubs.

[1] http://www.bvb.de/?%98Y%1B%E4%F4%9D
    [2] http://www.stadiumguide.com/allianz/

This is very true - and our own research has shown price is not a major factor in stopping people going to games or keeping people going to games. It obviously might influence a few people but mainly it's just an excuse and a price reduction will not get them in the ground anyway

• Advertisement

The way to increase away attendances is to play games at the weekend like Sligo Rovers do, not on a weekday like the rest of the clubs.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The way to increase away attendances is to play games at the weekend like Sligo Rovers do, not on a weekday like the rest of the clubs.

But on a weekend you'd be competing with English, Scottish & European leagues not to mention the GAA in the summer

darragh16 wrote: »
    But on a weekend you'd be competing with English, Scottish & European leagues not to mention the GAA in the summer

None of those seem to harm the attendances in the showgrounds.

Domestic football, in my opinion should always be played at the weekend, with the exception of re-arranged games, league cup matches etc.

I know most people won't agree but I have never been a fan of Friday night football, and I never will.
    It makes it impossible for some people to attend away matches on any sort of regular basis.

Harps have changed from a Friday to a saturday a few times over the last few years. It made no difference. we had a slightly higher average attendance this year on a friday than last year on a saturday despite having equally **** years. actually i think the difference is 50 which would be 10%, slight in numbers but substantial in another way. I think the more direct competition with the GAA is the biggest danger as they do have the most active regular match goers in the country. GAA in sligo isnt exactly in its hayday either, i can say donegal's success has definitely affected ourselves. Success breeds fans, whatever the code

the most recent moves were made for the squad, it was thought saturday games would benefit our players but eventually it was thought to be giving more advantage to the other teams who (bar longford) all played friday & then had a full day to travel, instead of work then travel.

Admittedly i found it impossible to make it home for games when in college, and saturday would have suited then, but what suits some affects, others and so on. It definitely doesnt help away support but its reduction wouldnt be anything major overall

Sligos attendances are only high because they are winning, same with every club at the top. Dundalks average this year v last, Athlone, even start of the season to the end shows a massive swing! Attendances are low across the board which means any club has the potential to pull draw big crowds by LOI standards when successful. Its keeping them when loitering in mid table or below is the problem

Domestic football, in my opinion should always be played at the weekend, with the exception of re-arranged games, league cup matches etc.

I know most people won't agree but I have never been a fan of Friday night football, and I never will.
    It makes it impossible for some people to attend away matches on any sort of regular basis.

As the poster above has mentioned, Sligo GAA have been poor in the last number of years to say the least, so that won't have much of an impact on the game there. A big challenge for the FAI will be if the GAA decide to push on with the Friday night experiment next summer. Could have a detrimental effect on some crowds.

I like Friday night football myself and so do many others. Something to head down to straight after work/college. Bit of banter at the match, support our club and then a few pints afterwards nothing too hectic. Away matches can be difficult but travelling to some away grounds (from Dublin) isn't too long of a journey anymore.

And I can only speak for Dublin, but there are plenty of matches at junior level on a Saturday. Surely moving LoI matches to a saturday would impact on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

This is very true - and our own research has shown price is not a major factor in stopping people going to games or keeping people going to games. It obviously might influence a few people but mainly it's just an excuse and a price reduction will not get them in the ground anyway

I honestly find this hard to comprehend, how could money not be factor in chooisng any sort of entertainment these days?

I honestly find this hard to comprehend, how could money not be factor in chooisng any sort of entertainment these days?

Would you go to the cinema to watch a film you didn't think you'd like if it was only a euro for a ticket?

Hoping Harps, Cobh and Galway play Saturdays, those will be a trek to get to on a Friday evening!

Not for most football fans in this country it isn't. Admission to games here is cheap, so price obviously isn't going to be a factor to many people at all.

It may be in other countries where tickets are €50 plus.

When Dundalk were in the 1st division we use to play on Thursday nights.When we got promoted a lot of our fans wanted the fixture day to remain the same.The FAI were adamant,Friday or nothing.We moved albeit reluctanly.Pretty happy we all are with the move now when we look back.Friday Suits plenty of peep,weekend start up.Saturday @ 3pm not a go at all.Sundays @ 3.30 pm was the traditional time but competing with GAA.sO 7.45 on a Friday night was the prefered time slot for most.Sligo went another way,proved they could get more on a Sat evening than on a Fri. evening and the FAI said yeah,go ahead.Prob wouldnt work for any other club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hoping Harps, Cobh and Galway play Saturdays, those will be a trek to get to on a Friday evening!

Cobh have always been Saturday anyway. They get a decent slice of their support from CCFC fans who would head down on a saturday when nothing else is on. If they clashed with CCFC they would be losing significant % gate revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Would you go to the cinema to watch a film you didn't think you'd like if it was only a euro for a ticket?

But if it's a film that you're not sure is going to good or bad (like any match, could be a cracker or could be 0-0), I'd be much more likely to check it out for a euro than a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not every team have been as successful as Sligo though, thats much more of a reason for decent attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But if it's a film that you're not sure is going to good or bad (like any match, could be a cracker or could be 0-0), I'd be much more likely to check it out for a euro than a tenner.

Believe me, if the attitude in this country was actually 'much more likely to check it out,' it would be great. It really would.

Unfortunately it's not.

24doftl.jpg

Its probably an important reminder that soccer is still the second highest attended sport in ireland!

• Advertisement

24doftl.jpg

Its probably an important reminder that soccer is still the second highest attended sport in ireland!

But anytime Leinster, Munster play at home, There is always more at them than all LOI games on a weekend (1st division and prem) combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But anytime Leinster, Munster play at home, There is always more at them than all LOI games on a weekend (1st division and prem) combined

They moving to Tallaght soon for the little games. That may change upwards or downwards.

It's not about not being sure though, getting people to games is a struggle, because a majority of football fans over here are already convinced it will be shite.

It's not about not being sure though, getting people to games is a struggle, because a majority of football fans over here are already convinced it will be shite.

I hate this mentality of certain people in this country.

There are 5 live games from EPL on sky today and tomorrow, I can guarantee that 2 max will be good games, others will be borefests but as its on tv and there rich famous footballers, people will tune in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Great response ! Thank you! We are definatley aiming to keep the regular fan and have dedicated a significant section to that - they after all are the club when it comes down to it.

One plan we have been discussing with a few members from supporters clubs was arranging some sort of event maybe before games where its a comfortable enough scenario to bring a friend/family member/work colleague along etc? Keep the current fans a part of things while inviting in new ones - also helps overcome the barrier some people have been saying where they feel its a closed shop? Am I in dreamland or is something like that actionable?

Events surrounding the games are definitely a big plus. I'd think it'd be much easier to convince someone to come along to matches if there were other things to look forward to apart from a purely footballing point of view. Children, for example, aren't usually interested at what's happening on the pitch - not at first, at least, and not as much as adults. So, there should be things to attract them - fun days, family sections, mascots etc. playing a role. It's been said that the best investment that CCFC have made in recent years, above any player, has been the mascot, Corky the Cheetah. The kids absolutely love him.

May I ask what your figures are based on, what levels of the respective sports they include and what exactly the percentages are of? They seem interesting, but I don't fully understand what they're representing. Thanks.

In relation to level of interest the media give the LoI, am I the only one to be impressed by the RTÉ news' efforts? Both Pats and Sligo were in the headlines and were the main news item for winning their respective competitions. During the week, John Caulfield was interviewed in the Six One news, in the second sports news piece of the show, right behind Martin O'Neill & Roy Keane and ahead of a piece on a Manchester United Champions League match. Are things like the League champions and the FAI Cup Final always given such prominence on the news, ahead of cross-channel football and other sports events in Ireland (eg, club championship finals/semi-finals etc.)?

The figures are from the Irish Sports Monitor Report 2011 and represent the breakdown of what sport was attended among those who had recently attended a sporting event (in the last 7 days if I remember correctly).

The report itself covers all aspects of sport participation and attendance in Ireland

In general the economic downturn actually increased attendance.

Some other interesting points is that there has been a sharp rise in the Under 25 category and the 36-56 (family life stage) category when it comes to attending sport events.

Soccer is also by far the most participated team sport in Ireland.

I hate this mentality of certain people in this country.

There are 5 live games from EPL on sky today and tomorrow, I can guarantee that 2 max will be good games, others will be borefests but as its on tv and there rich famous footballers, people will tune in

Was 4 games on not 5 and NONE of them were any good at all

For any fans that go to away matches - How much does the trip actually end up costing you in general? Obviously when its outside your own county! Like how much would the bus cost etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

For any fans that go to away matches - How much does the trip actually end up costing you in general? Obviously when its outside your own county! Like how much would the bus cost etc!

As a Cork City fan, I can tell you its not cheap. Our closest trip is Limerick, its two hours on a bus if you take into account piss stops etc... then we have trips to Dublin (I'll include Bray and Drogheda in this) what seems like every second week. Since the hard times have hit, we've seen a significant drop in our away crowds.

For me and the people I go to games with, its usually a day out for an away trip. Depending on numbers, we'll pay about 30 quid for the bus, then theres the 15/20 quid on cans, 15 quid on a ticket, 10/15 for food throughout the day, maybe 30 quid for a few pints before and after the game, so no matter what the trip, I always budget for at least a hundred quid for an away trip, and we would get to about 80% of away games in a season one way or another. But thats just my experience, I'm lucky enough to be in a position to afford that every second week. Obviously you could do an away trip for alot less if you cut out the drinking, maybe get an aircoach return for 20 quid etc...

• Advertisement

€22 for the bus.
    €10 admission (student rate)
    €10-€15 on food. Usually have a roll on the way and a take away on the way back
    That's without having a drink or buying a programme.

Quite expensive, so don't get to nearly as many away games as I would like to.

Advertisement