Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for mam

Options
  • 05-10-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

In an ideal world it would be water proof and I would get a phone call before she downloads all the rubbish that she believes she needs because the laptop told her.
    One that has windows 7 and is robust not a delicate thing.
    Not to complicated she only uses it for Facebook and getting emails to tell her her farm is ready etc.

She watches films as well .
    Located in Dublin.
    Thanks
    Cathy.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

why do you want windows 7?
    I would just get her a chromebook they are so easy to use and little can go wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would just get her a chromebook they are so easy to use and little can go wrong with them.

Never even heard of them.
    I said windows 7 because windows 8 would just be too much for her.ill google chrome book but any links to something good would be a help.thanks.

Moonbeam wrote: »

Moonbeam the ones I looked at dont have a dvd drive so she won't be able to watch films and it says get two years of space.so she would have to pay every two years to keep her data? Would I be right or miles off track?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

one and only robust laptop line for ordinary people that i know about is panasonic's toughbook line but new units are very expensive

used ones are good option, but be advised that usually they come without warranty and spare parts can be extremely hard to find if something happens

i.e. www.ebay.ie/itm/190882174170 - good enough for everything you mentioned, but it is vista (and personally i would replace hdd with slightly bigger ssd)

also, there are some manufacturers that have models with just spill proof keyboards - for example lenovo x61, x200, t400, fujitsu lifebook LH700 or Dell latitude E6410

m4rkiz wrote: »
    one and only robust laptop line for ordinary people that i know about is panasonic's toughbook line but new units are very expensive

used ones are good option, but be advised that usually they come without warranty and spare parts can be extremely hard to find if something happens

i.e. www.ebay.ie/itm/190882174170 - good enough for everything you mentioned, but it is vista (and personally i would replace hdd with slightly bigger ssd)

also, there are some manufacturers that have models with just spill proof keyboards - for example lenovo x61, x200, t400, fujitsu lifebook LH700 or Dell latitude E6410

Got her an Asus today.a spill proof keyboard
    Sounds like a dream. I put classic shell on it so she can use it and team viewer so I can view it when things go wrong.
    keyboard is a little small but its 15.5 in any bigger and i would have been better off getting her a smart tv.
    thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

ASUS Are fantastically built, I have mine 6 yrs no and still oging like a dream and been droppd a heap of times

Notch000 wrote: »
    ASUS Are fantastically built, I have mine 6 yrs no and still oging like a dream and been droppd a heap of times

Thank God .if its "grandad just set on the laptop proof" it wil last .they should have that as a tag.stonge enough to stand the test if Grandad ,easy enough to use that your mother can do it.:-)
    Thanks for the help.

Advertisement