Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuse blown- always for electrician to check out?

• 05-10-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I had all the lights go out a few minutes ago- a fuse was blown and in the off position. I just switched it back into place and it seems fine, everything's staying on. Should I be concerned? Should I call an electrician or just leave it since it's back to normal? Never happened to me before and know very little about electricity in this country.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Any lamps blown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Hi all,

I had all the lights go out a few minutes ago- a fuse was blown and in the off position. I just switched it back into place and it seems fine, everything's staying on. Should I be concerned? Should I call an electrician or just leave it since it's back to normal? Never happened to me before and know very little about electricity in this country.
    Wouldn't be concerned unless it was something that would be occuring regularly.

If it was happening regularly then before id xall anyone id be making notes if what you did or what was happening in the few seconds leading up to the event might help an electrician narrow down to reason as to why its happening

• Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

There were no lamps blown and nothing else but the lights went out. I'll take notes if it happens again but there's no danger then in the short-term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

An outside light, filled with water maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There were no lamps blown and nothing else but the lights went out. I'll take notes if it happens again but there's no danger then in the short-term?

No, none, the fuse did it's job and cut an overload milliseconds before it even happened. Could have been a random surge or the circuit could be taken off a socket circuit and something that was plugged in overloaded it.

No cause for concern unless it happens regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

No, none, the fuse did it's job and cut an overload milliseconds before it even happened. Could have been a random surge or the circuit could be taken off a socket circuit and something that was plugged in overloaded it.

No cause for concern unless it happens regularly.

That's comforting. Thanks for the information and to everyone who replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

An outside light, filled with water maybe?

As per above, lighting circuits don't give trouble too often, but if there's outside lights on that circuit they can give trouble. I even had a slug in a junction box to an outside light cause problems.

As someone else said if you have GU10 spot lights, these can go and cause the MCB to trip.

Advertisement