Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a gun club

Options
  • 05-10-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm very interested in joining a gun club in Cork. Can someone please tell me what is involved. Yearly fees, price of gun, how often can you go shooting,etc. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well if its a game club. You can only shoot through the seasons say sept 1st on. The on the off season you can do some vermin control.

Club fees vary greatly and the joining fees vary aswell. So that's more of a local question to a club in your area.

I personal didn't join a club this year because I didn't want to get in the middle of a load of lads acting like woman. Complaining arguing and talking behind each others backs.

But not all clubs are like that there are some very good clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishfinster

I've been reading that there is a lot of **** going on the clubs. A big click that really don't want anyone joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Some clubs ye definitely no doubt in my mind anyway.

But look there is some great clubs it just depends on if your kooky enough to be I the right area for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I'm very interested in joining a gun club in Cork. Can someone please tell me what is involved. Yearly fees, price of gun, how often can you go shooting,etc. thanks

where in cork are you

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

joining a gun club or any orginisation you get what you put into it and I can agree there is clicks in clubs for one reason or another but don't let that discourage you from joining.fees vary depending what part of the country your in the insurance is €50 from the N.A.R.G.C and then what ever the club wants for its annual fee. As for shotgun you want its down to personal choice like do u want double barrel (side by side or under and over) pump or repeater and what ever type you want 12 bore, 20etc and most importantly how much €€€€ do you want to spend on a gun.The season starts for game from 1st of September till the 31 Janruary, it just depends what you want to shoot,Snipe,Woodcock.Pheasant,Duck etc. Best of luck on what ever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I personal didn't join a club this year because I didn't want to get in the middle of a load of lads acting like woman. Complaining arguing and talking behind each others backs.

Nice! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Men well able to bitch and moan. Was in a Vintage club where a division occurred because a few fellows didn't get the free plate of salad and cup of tea when they expected it, while attending a show as exhibitors. I would say to try it for a year or so to get the lie of the land, so to speak. If you cannot get along with them , at least you tried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

if your going down the Club route proposer and seconder is what is required. Best of luck. Club fees vary ours is €30.

most important is enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

if your going down the Club route proposer and seconder is what is required. Best of luck. Club fees vary ours is €30.

most important is enjoy yourself.

Obviously that is excluding insurance?

How do ye buy birds through the year?

Ours is 170 :o:o Cork club too..

255 for the first year :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

hedzball wrote: »

that sounds mad dear but i suppose its a club that is run properly and yee have days out shooting together or something yes?

The club I am in is €20 for the year (plus €50 for NARGC insurance of course).
    But our club does nothing except enter points for the vermin count competition. I only have a license for a rifle, not a shotgun. I just shoot vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Staloejunior

I'm in Tipperary and the fee is €100 (50 to the club n 50 to NARGC). if your joining a club and looking to go shooting with other members of the gun club you have to pay the 50 to NARGC cos other insurances don't cover you for some reason!! You will need someone to nominate and second you. You should have no problem if you are in the parish of the club. Kilworth Gun Club is well known and seems to be well maintained too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

hedzball wrote: »

We have 43 members so as usual only about 20 do anything, so we have about 1200 pa, plus every now and again we do some fund raising. We also run a Game night.

As for birds we would buy 150-200 poults per annum, but its 50:50 you pay half and the club stumps up 1/2. Then people dont let them die. We got rid of the Im entitled to.... years ago.

You don't need massive money for a good club. I was in a club that would take 180 pa, Ive shot more birds and have more craic in the one Im in now. When more than 1 person gets together with the same goals and objectives, well you've got the starting of a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

Joining a club is a lot easier if you are well known in the area, get involved in local commitees or clubs. The reason people do not get into clubs is that its not like gaa or soccer you are asking people to allow you to wander armed around there community. Try contacting the nearest club and offer to help, pen building or running a Larsen trap make it obvious that you are interested but do not expect to be allowed in straight off. Slowly slowly catchie monkey. good luck

Advertisement