Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwell dogs....

• 05-10-2013 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just looking for some opinions.
    My 3 year old mixed breed dog had been very ill for a few days. He's been off his food, not drinking and very lethargic as well as vomiting and diarrhoea.
    We took him to the vet today and he has given him antibiotics and an anti sickness medication as well as food and a water supplement and he has to go back tomorrow if he's not better.

This evening he's been acting very strangely, he won't sit in the sitting room with us as he usually does and insists on sitting alone in the kitchen. He keeps wanting to go outside and when he gets out he lies down on the cold grass and won't move-we have to carry him back in.
    Is it normal for a sick dog to behave like this or is it more ominous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Hey everyone, just looking for some opinions.
    My 3 year old mixed breed dog had been very I'll for a few days. He's been off his food, not drinking and very lethargic as well as vomiting and diarrhoea.
    We took him to the vet today and he has given him antibiotics and an anti sickness medication as well as food and a water supplement and he has to go back tomorrow if he's not better.

this evening he's been acting very strangely, he won't sit in the sitting room with us as he usually does and insists on sitting alone in the kitchen. He keeps wanting to go outside and when he gets out he lies down on the cold grass and won't move-we have to carry him back in.
    Is it normal for a sick dog to behave like this or is it more ominous?

He could be overheating with a temperature. If he is content with being outside leave him but if you want him inside try encourage him to drink water and leave water available to him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

He certainly sounds like he's very uncomfortable. If he's feeling feverish, or having difficulty getting enough air into his lungs, he'll try to find cool, airy places. I'd try to find him a cool spot in the house.
    Hopefully the meds will kick in soon to at least ease the symptoms, but unless he's a lot better by morning he needs to have a number of tests done asap to find out what's going on.
    Will you keep us posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hersheys wrote: »
    He could be overheating with a temperature. If he is content with being outside leave him but if you want him inside try encourage him to drink water and leave water available to him.

Thanks for the reply.
    The vet says he hadnt a temperature and that was at around 3pm, the house is actually quite cold as the heating isn't on and hasn't been since march!
    He's refusing food or water still but we've used a baby syringe and managed about 50 ml though some was spat out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Similar thing happened to both my dogs 2 weeks ago. The first fella who is 12 now showed some of the same symptoms as you describe - vomiting and refusing food and water. He also spent a lot of time on his own in bed. When he did come out of his bed he was very uneasy on his feet - stumbling etc....

Brought him to the vet and he didn't have a temp but the look on the vet's face told me it wasn't good. They kept him in and did blood tests, scans and x-rays which all showed nothing out of the ordinary. They had him for 2 nights and he was on a drip as he was dehydrated. They also gave him antibiotics. After a day he began getting better but the vet said initially they didn't think he would recover. We were given antibiotics for 5 days following the stay in the vets and he's completely back to himself now.

They still don't know what it was but told us it could be a viral infection of some sort?.....

Anyway, the day we brought the first dog home our 2nd fella started showing the same symptoms! So we brought him straight to the vets before it got too bad. He was given the drip and antibiotics too and we had him back the next day.

Both of them are completely back to normal now but we don't know what caused if!

We've managed a bit more of the medicated water stuff, about 75-80 ml today and he's had 3/4 tablespoons of plain water himself now.

I will keep ye updated. Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If you know your dog's weight OP, multiply it by 50ml and that is his daily maintenance requirement for water i.e. 50ml/kg. You can only do as best you can with the syringing, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Would he eat some ice OP? My dogs love it.

toadfly wrote: »
    Would he eat some ice OP? My dogs love it.

He loves it too but is turning his nose up at it. Not much better today, occasionally lifts his head to see what's going on around him but that's about it.

I'll give him till 3 and hope for a miracle, if nothing changes ill take him to the vet for admittance :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Please ask the vet to check for parvovirus, even if they are vaccinated, my bosses dog and it's brother recently both spent over a week in the vets on drips, antibiotics and even an op on one, didn't find anything, until he checked for parvovirus. (After reports of several similar cases and a couple of deaths in the area)
    Both dogs were fully vaccinated too. They are both home now and recovering.

Hi just to update you, he is almost back to himself today, still very sleepy and lacking in energy but he's making an effort to follow me around the house.
    Drinking ok but still refusing food :-(
    I'm just hoping that in the next day or so he will be hungry and give in to food.

Mymo it's definitely not parvo but thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Ah delighted to hear he is on the mend :) horrible when they are sick and cant talk :( but for what its worth I believe stewed apple if you could get it into them soothes their tummy

Advertisement