Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Dehumidifier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 giedrelaOO

is something wrong with this Aldi dehumidifier that you said you wouldnt go for it?

Not at all. I'm a full time wild camper. I don't need it. I've a wood burner that does the same job more efficiently and without a hook-up. I could do with a few of them draught excluders though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

giedrelaOO wrote: »
    is something wrong with this Aldi dehumidifier that you said you wouldnt go for it?

Yes, dehumidifers like that don't work at low temperatures like in your van during winter as they spend most of their time on defrost. so you'll be spending a lot on electricity for no effect. You're better off with calcium chloride moisture trap style dehumidifier, they're about a fiver for a large one with a refill or if you like spending money a dessicant dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Correct me if I am wrong but have heard cat litter does the same job haven't tried it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but have heard cat litter does the same job haven't tried it myself

Some of them are zeolite or silica gel based and could work. You'd need 6-7kg of that to absorb the same amount of water as 1kg of calcium chloride though so I doubt there would be any saving. Good comparison here:

http://www.absortech.jp/eng/downloads/whitepaper-silica-eng.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement