Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a quiet (cheapest) NAS/Backup/Personal Cloud.

Options
  • 05-10-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I have been asked to setup a backup for someone for their home office.
    My initial reaction was to refuse (for many reasons), but i had a change of heart before i answered.

There is 4 or 5 PC's in the house, 3 iPhones and 2 Android Phones. All to be backed up.

2 Daughters will possibly want to stream movies/music - Not important.

Can anyone recommend a good sized Storage device that is easy for someone with basic skills, so easy to use, in fact, that i would never have to go back to look at it again.

It also ideally will be silent, and low price.

So, the more storage the better, and around the €100 mark.
    I was looking at the 2TB WD My Book Live, but that's too loud for them. Well, it's borderline.

Now I'm looking at the newer D-Link Sharecentre and a 2TB drive.

I haven't used the D-Link software for backup before, that i can remember, is it simple enough?

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Also, why are these images in the Amazon picture description? - Not important, i just thought it was a bit odd.

51-CpVSKi2L._SX385_.jpg

51MvPol%2BzWL._SX385_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Allyall wrote: »

...So, the more storage the better, and around the €100 mark.
    I was looking at the 2TB WD My Book Live, but that's too loud for them. Well, it's borderline.

...Can anyone recommend anything else?

Too loud? jesus they are not fussy at all!

Convince them of the WD My book... easiest option in their case and you will never be called back to sort anything on it ever again IMO.

I have the Zyxel NSA310 as per the bargain alert... it does me but for your case of sorting out this family i wouldnt recommend this or the D-link as they will be troublesome sometimes and need you to be called in to troubleshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Perfect. Thanks.

I needed a second opinion. They reckon it's too loud, as they have a friend with one (they think). From the description it sounds like the seagate old one.

Lovely people, but that's not the issue. I did something for them before and i got a never ending barrage of phonecalls asking questions about how to this, and can i do that etc..

I'm trying to pre-empt anything they may want to do, and any problems they may run into.

Also, i may move the router, so they wouldn't hear the WD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Too loud? Stick the WD in a cupboard with some Powerline adapters as the network source and backup everything over LAN / WLAN.

PS: There are iOS, Android, Windows and Mac applications for the WD so cross compatibility meets your exact criteria.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wdc.wd2go&hl=en
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/wd-2go/id450655672?mt=8
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyBook

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Definitely recommend hiding the WD in a press somewhere with the power line. Also, in terms of Android backup, I'd recommend Gcloud for backup of WiFi settings, text messages, call logs etc and Drop box for photos. Or they could use the WD app available on all devices for local backup. Hope this helps!

Advertisement