Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for new lawn?

• 06-10-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

3/4acre site new build. Topsoil spread but stones still in. I need in rotavated, raked etc then seed sown. Levelled of course... Got quote for the lot€1200.. Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dante79

I think the quote is a bit steep, reckon you could get away with about half that or less. I got a local machine driver to spread my topsoil, he used a "raking bucket" to level and take out the big stones. After that i just raked it again by hand myself, had never done it before but its not rocket science just remove stones greater than an inch in diameter. I hired a seed spreader and water filled roller and that was a week ago and the garden is starting to come up nicely, thankfully the weather has been ideal.
    There is a petrol driven machine for removing stones but i didnt bother with it, although if doing it again i would consider it, my garden size is about 500m2.

Heres what mine came to

The machine driver was €30 per hour and was there 5 hours. (12ton digger)
    Raking bucket hire €60
    2 bags of seed (300 m2 coverage each) €110
    Roller and spreader hire €30 per day

Even if you hire two labourers for two days to rake stone, spread seed and roll the lawn, it should end up alot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I recently had my back area ploughed ,tilled ,leveled , sown No 2 leisure grass 20 kg bag and rolled €390 .
    I raked it myself size roughly 1500sq mtr .
    The fine raking is labour and time intensive and could easily treble the cost . This was per the contractor who did the job. I wasn't looking for a bowling green lawn so passed on that item of expense.

Three weeks later
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/90685/274657.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

All I'd say is you'll get what you pay for, a proper lawn is something different to a new meadow and we won't even discuss 'bowling green'.

A good level lawn involves considerable prep (ground) work and most of the problems associated with lawns is often as a result of inadequate ground prep. Seeding is cheap everything takes time and effort, and if you get a professional expect to pay.

Running around 1500m with a water filled roller is basic DIY. Manual raking is labour intensive, but having the right and proper equipment (tiller, stone burier etc) is essential if a proper lawn is what's required.

I would expect c € 1.00 - € 1.20/sqm for complete job.

Sure you'll get someone with a digger/tractor willing to do it for 50 cent or less. Off ye go!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dante79

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    I recently had my back area ploughed ,tilled ,leveled , sown No 2 leisure grass 20 kg bag and rolled €390 .
    I raked it myself size roughly 1500sq mtr .
    The fine raking is labour and time intensive and could easily treble the cost . This was per the contractor who did the job. I wasn't looking for a bowling green lawn so passed on that item of expense.

Three weeks later
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/90685/274657.JPG

Nice job Bakerbhoy, that looks well and respect for raking that area by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

All I'd say is you'll get what you pay for, a proper lawn is something different to a new meadow and we won't even discuss 'bowling green'.

A good level lawn involves considerable prep (ground) work and most of the problems associated with lawns is often as a result of inadequate ground prep. Seeding is cheap everything takes time and effort, and if you get a professional expect to pay.

Running around 1500m with a water filled roller is basic DIY. Manual raking is labour intensive, but having the right and proper equipment (tiller, stone burier etc) is essential if a proper lawn is what's required.

I would expect c € 1.00 - € 1.20/sqm for complete job.

Sure you'll get someone with a digger/tractor willing to do it for 50 cent or less. Off ye go!

exactly what i was thinking. I got really lucky with the weather, not a drop of rain until tomorrow...phew! all sown bar 20m2, should be done tomorrow. got him to plant the laurels around the edge prior to lawn being sown...(all 450 of them)..

• Advertisement
Advertisement