Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting a newsagents

Options
  • 06-10-2013 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I want to open a small newsagents the size of the store i have in mind is 37 sq meters i was wondering if anyone has any idea on the costs to setting this up like fit out and stock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

That's a very very small shop and with sales of papers on the wane (mainly older people) and other products that sell in newsagents available everywhere, its a road I would avoid these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rmerrin

it would be in the middle of a housing estate

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Do you have any experience in this area? How many houses are in the area? Any schools? How far away is the next shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

sandin wrote: »
    That's a very very small shop and with sales of papers on the wane (mainly older people) and other products that sell in newsagents available everywhere, its a road I would avoid these days.

Gotta love the positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

It's not a backslapping forum, it's a reality forum

• Advertisement

there over a 100 houses and a primary school i was thinking with the low rent you wouldnt make a fortune but could make a living at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

One of my nephews has a successful "kiosk" in a Dublin suburb, beside a bus stop and a park. He does newspapers and the usual limited stock, he has a great (good quality) coffee takeaway business and has built up a steady stream of regulars. It is easily managed by one person, has modest opening hours and shoplifting is not an issue as the customers do not enter the premises. In summer he has a nice ice crem/lolly trade.
    This style of unit with a very low fit out cost etc might suit the OP.

sounds like a good idea i was thinking of selling discount dog food and that kind of thing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is there likely to be much passing trade?

Without passing trade I'd be astonished if you could make enough money to survive from 100 houses and a primary school.

Say each house spends €5 a day in the shop (unlikely but lets be generous), thats €500/day.
    Say your gross profit is 20%, that's €100/day.

From the €100 subtract your energy costs, insurance, rent, rates etc etc etc. What's left for your wage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Bandara wrote: »
    It's not a backslapping forum, it's a reality forum

Exactly. Most small shops seem to be closing over the years in my area, the trend is for bigger shops, covering a larger range of products like Off licence, phone credit, ATM in store, hot deli counter etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

A very niche play these days. Would all depend on the location and the footfall. If you have somewhere in mind with great footfall and no existing operators, a kiosk could do quite well. You don't see many of them these days though.

I'm in retail for 30 years this year. I'm a member of retail excellence for 10 years and have attended countless seminars on retail over the years here and abroad. I am very positive about most retail ideas (check other posts here) but a very small shop in a retail area that is in terminal decline is one I would advise against even considering.

...and with it in such a small catchment area gives an even stronger reason to tell the op to run away from the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

One of my nephews has a successful "kiosk" in a Dublin suburb, beside a bus stop and a park. He does newspapers and the usual limited stock, he has a great (good quality) coffee takeaway business and has built up a steady stream of regulars. It is easily managed by one person, has modest opening hours and shoplifting is not an issue as the customers do not enter the premises. In summer he has a nice ice crem/lolly trade.
    This style of unit with a very low fit out cost etc might suit the OP.

:D I know your (of your) nephew! My 2.5 year old is a patron of his every Friday afternoon without fail as my mother lives on the opp side of that park!! Jesus - years back that place was a gold mine - but the profile of retail has change radically.

Yea, he's been very flexible in his approach, regular bus service and the park have to help business. However he did have to change tack (rightly) from the regular TSN that existed there before to suit the passing trade - coffee was a good idea - bus every 20mins helps.

On the other hand I was speaking to another retailer not far from there, near church, school, large catchment - all the box tickers - he's looking as far as Christmas at this point trade is so bad.

So, really do the homework, footfall, newspapers, etc

I'm in retail for 30 years this year. I'm a member of retail excellence for 10 years and have attended countless seminars on retail over the years here and abroad. I am very positive about most retail ideas (check other posts here) but a very small shop in a retail area that is in terminal decline is one I would advise against even considering.

...and with it in such a small catchment area gives an even stronger reason to tell the op to run away from the idea.

But you can't see the wood for the trees Sandin!. We are talking about dog food with your coffee here, it can't fail! :D

But you can't see the wood for the trees Sandin!. We are talking about dog food with your coffee here, it can't fail! :D

Eh?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Eh?????

Take no notice sandin, he's taking the piss. Everyone knows you can't fit a coffee machine in a 400 sq.ft. shop ;)

OP, if you fit the place with new kit, expect about €150 a sq. ft. That should include a cash register, fridge for dairy, counter, shelving etc. Coke or Britvic will supply a drinks fridge (and all the grief they can give you for free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It was the OP who threw the discount dog food into the mix, not El Rifle !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DubTony wrote: »
    Coke or Britvic will supply a drinks fridge (and all the grief they can give you for free).

Not anymore they wont

Them days are long gone, the grey market purchasing has made it uneconomical for them to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bandara wrote: »
    Not anymore they wont

Them days are long gone, the grey market purchasing has made it uneconomical for them to do it

Aah, so much changes in a few short years.

Advertisement