Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wiring Security Light sensor

Options
  • 06-10-2013 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Greetings,
    I'm trying to install a security light sensor. I've followed the instructions but it's not happening. Once powered up on test mode I can hear the sensor detect movement(it clicks) but the flood lights don't light up.
    The first and second photo are the instructions.
    The 3rd photo is how I've wired it.

The floodlights(x3) are working of a light switch in the garage and maybe this could be complicating matters or not.

If any electricians can shed some light(pardon the pun) I'd be grateful.

thanks in advance,
    eoinio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You don't have a wire feeding your lamps.

Connection L1 is for the live feed to a light.

Assuming this is just a sensor and not a light also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoinio

You don't have a wire feeding your lamps.

Connection L1 is for the live feed to a light.

Assuming this is just a sensor and not a light also.

Thanks Brightspark, you're right, this is just a sensor(no light directly attached)
    So I need to feed a piece of wire from L1 into N(see pic) or should it be L1 into another location?

Eoinio wrote: »
    Thanks Brightspark, you're right, this is just a sensor(no light directly attached)
    So I need to feed a piece of wire from L1 into N(see pic) or should it be L1 into another location?

NO :eek:

When the sensor triggers it will create a short circuit!

The wire from L1 is to be fed to a light, with the same neutral also supplying the light!

Your first image shows the wiring to a light in dotted lines.

As you have three lights, you need to be careful that you are not overloading the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoinio

NO :eek:

When the sensor triggers it will create a short circuit!

The wire from L1 is to be fed to a light, with the same neutral also supplying the light!

As you have three lights, you need to be careful that you are not overloading the sensor.

D'oh💥

Ok, I'll scrap that setup so 😕

Apologies but I'm still confused but leave it with me to ponder. I appreciate your time and advice.

So feed a new wire from the free L1 connector to....(and this is now the million dollar question for me and thanks for getting me this far)

L1 to L(of a light with same Neutral)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onliner

Load live (light) connects to L1.

• Advertisement

What rating are your existing lights?

What is the rating of the sensor?

How did you supply the sensor? (Where did you get the live and neutral)

You can think of the sensor as a switch, when it detects movement it will switch on, joining L and L1 together, just like the two connections in your switch on the wall.

Advertisement