Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League revamp your opinions please..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Terrible idea, and particularly unfair on the teams left behind in division 1B. League and Championship were great this year, don't see any reason to break it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Personally, I don't like it. Big counties deciding everything. When clare went down, we had to grin and bare it. Cork go down, we have to change everything.
    There will be an even bigger gap between the top two divisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Personally, I don't like it. Big counties deciding everything. When clare went down, we had to grin and bare it. Cork go down, we have to change everything.
    There will be an even bigger gap between the top two divisions.

I said it to a friend on mine the day Cork were relegated, the system will be changed to suit them.

Its a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I don't like it.

We just had the best league in years, so why fix what isn't broken.
    Cork being relegated isn't a good enough reason for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There is a definite gap opening up with counties like Offaly and Wexford being left behind. Surely Clare and Dublins approach should be adopted by these counties if they are any bit serious about being competitive. If the league is changed it will be another nail in their coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Think they should leave the format alone,always seems to be some bit of changing going on with the League system.

They should look into trying to get the provincial champions to fit into the Championship format and give them a quarter final instead of waiting for 4 weeks/5 weeks for a semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

I posted this up on the PROC forum a while back. I think it could work.

I reckon it should be:

Division 1 (7 teams).
    3 home & 3 away games so each side has the same number of home games for revenue generation. The single extra team wont create a drop in quality (should do anyway).

Final Standings
    -Top two teams go to league Final.
    -Bottom team automatically relegated.
    -2nd bottom and 3rd bottom in relegation playoff.

The two extra relegation places will ensure the current competitiveness of the division remains in place, as any slip up could be punished. The two best sides contest the league final, as it should be.

Division 2 (9 teams).
    4 home and 4 away games so each side has the same number of games. The greater number of teams for this division is for a few reasons.
    - Teams in the McCarthy Cup will have more games to try out the younger lads.
    - The crowds will be smaller, so more games gives more income.
    - Teams like Antrim, Laois and Carlow who have made some positive strides this year won't relegation hanging over their heads, and should (barring a disaster) be facing better sides every year.
    - Teams on the fringes of Liam McCarthy will have exposure to higher quality opposition, and would increase the interest of hurling in those counties and prepare them for a better shot at the Christy Ring Cup during the summer.

Final Standings
    -Top team automatically promoted.
    -2nd from top and 3rd from top in promotion playoff.
    -Bottom team automatically relegated.
    -2nd bottom and 3rd bottom in relegation playoff.

The lower tiers work on a similar setup to division 2.

I reckon that league setup would suit everyone.
    The limit of seven teams in the top tier means that there will still be a high level of quality in division 1, while maintaining enough of a level of quality in division 2.

The two up/two down idea would surely ensure the likes of Offaly and Wexford would regularly over the years play in division 1.

The league should mean promotion and relegation depending on whether you're good enough or not, and I think it should have a fixed format and leave it at that.

I know the above idea is not the best system, but I think it provides the right level of competitiveness and games in both top divisions for the teams involved, sufficient levels of opportunity for promotion and thus changeover of teams in the top division, and would aid the target of helping the development of the likes of Laois, Antrim and Carlow by sustaining enough of a higher level of opposition in division 2 while also increasing the size of division 1 (which allows more high quality games for fans and TV).

The only other alternative I could see making sense is keeping the current structure, but having a 10 game season (5 home and away games each) which if you ran off from February on a week by week basis would make plenty of sense.

PS. One final note. The idea of changing the league every year because a it doesn't work out for a certain side and that team kicks up is doing hurling no good, in fact its destroying the game as other counties who are not so good at hurling begin to see it as an elitist sport and that unless you're a division 1 team there's no point in trying as you don't matter.

Its often said that football men are destroying hurling. In fact its hurling men that are as its hurling men that have the attitude of creating and maintaining the elite as opposed to having the structure that suits the game as a whole.

randd1 wrote: »
    PS. One final note. The idea of changing the league every year because a it doesn't work out for a certain side and that team kicks up is doing hurling no good, in fact its destroying the game as other counties who are not so good at hurling begin to see it as an elitist sport and that unless you're a division 1 team there's no point in trying as you don't matter.

Its often said that football men are destroying hurling. In fact its hurling men that are as its hurling men that have the attitude of creating and maintaining the elite as opposed to having the structure that suits the game as a whole.

Completely agree, so leave it well alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

JBM, supposedly is the greatest gentleman of all time.

Now, lets see his true colours. Manage his team in div 1B, where the are by virtue of their results in the last campaign, OR, resign if this utterly ungentlemanly stunt is pulled.

Your move JBM:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

JBM, supposedly is the greatest gentleman of all time.

Now, lets see his true colours. Manage his team in div 1B, where the are by virtue of their results in the last campaign, OR, resign if this utterly ungentlemanly stunt is pulled.

Your move JBM:rolleyes:

Are you actually serious??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It is typical of this country in fairness, change the rules to keep the big boys happy. Keep the top teams strong. It is an absolute scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Are you actually serious??

Well, fuuk it! Sportsmen far and wide, should stand up and be counted.
    JBM, is a legend in Cork, and beyond.
    If he says no to this sh1t, that will be the end of it.
    Not even Frank the W#nk, would be able to cope with JBM, on a crusade for fairness and sportsmanship.

Problem with current system is, we have 8 teams a level above everyone else, so as it stood we were pretty much guaranteed a Cork v Limerick division 2 final next year.

Division 1 will thrive under the present format but division 2 (or 1B as they call it) has been very predictable. A Cla v Lim final was a nailed on certainty in 2012, a Dub v Lim was a nailed on certainty this year, and a Cor v Lim is pretty much a nailed on certainty next year.

Offaly and Wexford haven't shown any sign of breaking into the top 8 and to be honest I don't think the new format will help their cause as they won't be testing themselves against any of the top 8.

Plus, at the end of 2014, one or two of the top 8 (KK, TY, CE, GY, DB,LK,CK, WT) will find themselves in division 2 for 2015, and those teams would sleepwalk through division 2 in 2015, and we'll be back to square one yet again.

The format used between 1997 and 2008 was the best happy medium, a 12 team division 1 with two untiered groups of 6.

The problem is, what exactly do we want the league to be? As fans we want an actual competition, but the issue is that the counties view it as pretty much nothing more than a means to prepare a panel for the championship and that it would be a nice little bonus to do well in it. And from that perspective, the current format is not sufficient.

However, maybe the best thing for the league in terms of making it more meaningful would be to stick with the present format.

Well, fuuk it! Sportsmen far and wide, should stand up and be counted.
    JBM, is a legend in Cork, and beyond.
    If he says no to this sh1t, that will be the end of it.
    Not even Frank the W#nk, would be able to cope with JBM, on a crusade for fairness and sportsmanship.

It is extremely unfair (and bizarre) to make this all about JBM. No matter what happens on this issue it in no way reflects on JBM's character and he has no obligations whatsoever in terms of resigning or leading crusades....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

While I would imagine that the "elite" counties would be supportive of the enlarged division 1 format I think the majority were content to wait until 2015 for the change. Kilkenny always took the league serious and this rubbed off on some counties in recent years. These counties fought hard to stay in division 1 and had any of them been relegated I'm sure they'd fight equally hard to get back up next year. Cork should do the same.

The message should go out loud and clear from counties like Wexford and Offaly before next weekends meeting - they will withdraw from the league in 2014 should the format be changed.

The league should be left unchanged for 2014. The top 4 in division 1B should play off in semi finals for the right to get promoted. Meanwhile the 6 in 1A could also play semi finals and a final to decide the overall winner of the 1A league.

My final word to 1B teams is to refuse to play in a revamped league and to get that message out before next Saturday. The Munster football minnows are doing something similar with the backing of the GPA. I presume the GPA will support the hurling cause too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was thinking would they consider re-vamping this year in a way that would please the top-dogs and encourage the emerging teams? On further reflection, I was pondering as to whether the following would work:

Two groups of six, with teams drawn from five pots.

Pot 1: All-Ireland finalists (Cork and Clare in this case)
    Pot 2: Provincial champions (Limerick and Dublin)
    Pot 3: Remaining current Division One teams (Waterford, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Galway). With first two drawn into group 1, next two into group 2 or whatever.
    Pot 4: Wexford and Offaly
    Pot 5: Laois, Carlow, Westmeath and Antrim (inter-changeable depending on other teams form in Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard etc). These four would be drawn into a play-off with the two winners earning a place in Division One, and the two losers dropping into Division Two.

Top team in Group A plays top team in Group B to determine Division 1 champion. Conversely bottom team in each group play-off for relegation.

Top teams would still have their Division One and get top quality games. The likes of Wexford (the biggest victims of the current re-vamp) get the much needed games their re-emergence needs, while the teams below them have the huge incentive of massive games to develop their hurling. While the likes of Laois and Carlow may not be at the level to be competing against the very best, and would more than likely get an unmerciful hammering most days, their improvement in recent years deserves to be rewarded with top-quality games too. And the two losing teams in Pot 5 have that extra motivation to gain promotion.

So for arguement sake you could have:

Group A: Limerick, Cork, Galway, Tipperary, Offaly, Antrim
    Group B: Dublin, Clare, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Laois

And everyone would be happy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Problem with current system is, we have 8 teams a level above everyone else, so as it stood we were pretty much guaranteed a Cork v Limerick division 2 final next year.

Division 1 will thrive under the present format but division 2 (or 1B as they call it) has been very predictable. A Cla v Lim final was a nailed on certainty in 2012, a Dub v Lim was a nailed on certainty this year, and a Cor v Lim is pretty much a nailed on certainty next year.

Offaly and Wexford haven't shown any sign of breaking into the top 8 and to be honest I don't think the new format will help their cause as they won't be testing themselves against any of the top 8.

Plus, at the end of 2014, one or two of the top 8 (KK, TY, CE, GY, DB,LK,CK, WT) will find themselves in division 2 for 2015, and those teams would sleepwalk through division 2 in 2015, and we'll be back to square one yet again.

The format used between 1997 and 2008 was the best happy medium, a 12 team division 1 with two untiered groups of 6.

The problem is, what exactly do we want the league to be? As fans we want an actual competition, but the issue is that the counties view it as pretty much nothing more than a means to prepare a panel for the championship and that it would be a nice little bonus to do well in it. And from that perspective, the current format is not sufficient.

However, maybe the best thing for the league in terms of making it more meaningful would be to stick with the present format.

so drawing with the Leinster champions and also drawing with the All Ireland champions in the championship is not showing any signs of breaking into the top 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Offaly play Kilkenny first round of the championship, Kilkenny will have played ay least 7 tough games at that stage and can play with the squad more, Offaly will play Wexford and one of these will play a promotion/ relegation game against a team from 1A. This will hardly bring on these counties much. Remember last summer Offaly lost narrowly to Kilkenny and Waterford while Wexford lost to Dublin after a replay and Clare in extra time.

As for the money generated by the teams in 1a compared to the others these counties finances will increase and hence the rich get richer and the poor poorer. Offaly and Wexford would be better off playing each other twice at home and away and keeping the money for themselves than playing the others

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hard to not to think that "All teams are equal, but some teams are more equal than others"

As many have pointed out the league last year was the best for years. If this motion gets passed, then may as well forget relegating teams any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm very much against these GAA proposals, which we may as well refer to as Cork proposals.

I think that we shouldn't make any changes to the current structures, as we've had one of the best championships in many years. Leinster and Munster winners both came from Div.2 of the league.

Not only did we get top hurling at the highest level, but I think counties like Wexford had an ok year in drawing against the All Ireland Champions, and Offaly put in a decent shift against Kilkenny and Waterford.

Also, counties like Carlow, Laois, Westmeath were all competitive this year, when was the last time we were able to say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

It is extremely unfair (and bizarre) to make this all about JBM. No matter what happens on this issue it in no way reflects on JBM's character and he has no obligations whatsoever in terms of resigning or leading crusades....

Agreed..

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2013/1006/478733-hurling/ here! here!

I wish counties got this worked up about the importance of the league when the matches were actually being played !

As soon as it all starts - "sure it's only the league"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wish counties got this worked up about the importance of the league when the matches were actually being played !

As soon as it all starts - "sure it's only the league"

I don't agree with that. I think Div 1a was very well contested. Teams realised that if you lost two games you were probably relegated, and teams definitely wanted to avoid relegation.

Similarly, I'm sure the likes of the Dublin v Limerick games were pretty intense also as both teams were gunning for promotion.

I was thinking would they consider re-vamping this year in a way that would please the top-dogs and encourage the emerging teams? On further reflection, I was pondering as to whether the following would work:

Two groups of six, with teams drawn from five pots.

Pot 1: All-Ireland finalists (Cork and Clare in this case)
    Pot 2: Provincial champions (Limerick and Dublin)
    Pot 3: Remaining current Division One teams (Waterford, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Galway). With first two drawn into group 1, next two into group 2 or whatever.
    Pot 4: Wexford and Offaly
    Pot 5: Laois, Carlow, Westmeath and Antrim (inter-changeable depending on other teams form in Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard etc). These four would be drawn into a play-off with the two winners earning a place in Division One, and the two losers dropping into Division Two.

Top team in Group A plays top team in Group B to determine Division 1 champion. Conversely bottom team in each group play-off for relegation.

Top teams would still have their Division One and get top quality games. The likes of Wexford (the biggest victims of the current re-vamp) get the much needed games their re-emergence needs, while the teams below them have the huge incentive of massive games to develop their hurling. While the likes of Laois and Carlow may not be at the level to be competing against the very best, and would more than likely get an unmerciful hammering most days, their improvement in recent years deserves to be rewarded with top-quality games too. And the two losing teams in Pot 5 have that extra motivation to gain promotion.

So for arguement sake you could have:

Group A: Limerick, Cork, Galway, Tipperary, Offaly, Antrim
    Group B: Dublin, Clare, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Laois

And everyone would be happy

The problem with that is it reduces competitiveness, part of the reason 1A was so exciting this year was because anyone could get relegated going into the final round, and next year there'll be two good teams fighting it out. With 12 teams, it'll be Offaly and Wexford just needing to avoid defeat against Antrim and Laois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Am I missing something in all the hysteria but won't Wexford and Offaly actually have a better chance of getting promoted next year realistically a 50 50 chance between them whereas if it doesn't change theyd have to beat Limerick and Cork in the league rounds and again in a final to get promoted?

I agree that Limerick and Wexford have been messed around the most in the past few years with the reshufflings.

I know people love to point the finger of blame in these matters, but this is going to be put to a vote of all the counties unless I'm mistaken.

So while Cork and to a lesser extent Limerick are being hung out to dry for this proposal, let's not forget that if the proposal does pass it will be because 17+ counties voted for it.

Just for the record, I hope the proposal is rejected. They can't move the goalposts like that, if they want to bring in changes for the 2015 league fair enough. It was disgraceful to take division 1 status off Limerick and Wexford after they had earned it in 2011. And it will be just as wrong to hand division 1 status to two teams after they hadn't earned it.

Whoever came up with the proposal should admit it and accept it was unfair. Clearly somebody doesn't want Cork playing in 1B.but this proposal should be postponed until 2015. Meanwhile in 2014 League let all 1B teams fight for the right to play in 1A in 2015. Unfortunately 1A 2014 would then be meaningless but that's wheret this premature proposal is leading.now.

Finally, 1B teams do have the final say - refuse to play. If they send that message loud and clear to Croke Park this proposal will be thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Grats wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the proposal should admit it and accept it was unfair. Clearly somebody doesn't want Cork playing in 1B.but this proposal should be postponed until 2015. Meanwhile in 2014 League let all 1B teams fight for the right to play in 1A in 2015. Unfortunately 1A 2014 would then be meaningless but that's wheret this premature proposal is leading.now.

Finally, 1B teams do have the final say - refuse to play. If they send that message loud and clear to Croke Park this proposal will be thrown out.

Their is no prizes for who wants Cork to be in div 1.

But typical,and true to form,that man hasnt said a word since april on the subject,lets others make the noise,as he knows cork cant be seen to drive this.

And when cork do make a statement its other county board men make statements to the media.Out of sight,but very much the mind behind this restructure.

Gate revenue in div two only yields around 20k,div 1 earns much more.

Thats what div two teams should is refuse to play ,but it wouldnt work,as guaranteed one county would crumble, and break the bond.

For it to work it must be supported by all the teams.That wnt happen ,its just a formality on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Their is no prizes for who wants Cork to be in div 1.

But typical,and true to form,that man hasnt said a word since april on the subject,lets others make the noise,as he knows cork cant be seen to drive this.

And when cork do make a statement its other county board men make statements to the media.Out of sight,but very much the mind behind this restructure.

Gate revenue in div two only yields around 20k,div 1 earns much more.

Thats what div two teams should is refuse to play ,but it wouldnt work,as guaranteed one county would crumble, and break the bond.

For it to work it must be supported by all the teams.That wnt happen ,its just a formality on Saturday.

in Wexfords case, less than €5,000. In Kilkennys case, €120,000. That, is a massive, massive gulf in funds, and this new proposal keeps the rich richer, and the poor poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Morally it shouldn't be changed.
    2014 is a continuation of 2013, the culmination of the rewards teams got for promotion and the punishment they got for relegation.

By all means change it for 2015 but the changes must be known before 2014 starts so teams know exactly what they are playing for. And if the 'wrong' teams get promoted/relegated then tough, stick with what was agreed.

Morally it shouldn't be changed.
    2014 is a continuation of 2013, the culmination of the rewards teams got for promotion and the punishment they got for relegation.

By all means change it for 2015 but the changes must be known before 2014 starts so teams know exactly what they are playing for. And if the 'wrong' teams get promoted/relegated then tough, stick with what was agreed.

Totally agree,and as a corkman it sickens me were doing this.Its only being done for the money,and not for the actual good of cork hurling,they will try andmake u believe..

If money was invested in cork hurling we wouldnt be in this mess.We are and should accept it like men and move on.

Money talks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

Quote from last week's Examiner (emphasis mine):
    Cork County Board chairman Bob Ryan was pleased with the new development and paid tribute to the role played by GAA president Liam O’Neill and director general Páraic Duffy.

“We welcome this change,” he said. “It’s a good thing, it will allow this Cork team to continue its excellent progress by getting good quality games against the top teams.

It’s very pleasing that this change has come about.

It’s not a surprise to hear about it because the main hurling counties would have had meetings over the past while on this subject and this proposal is, we feel, the best solution.

It gives the top teams seven games each and those games will help them ahead of the championship.

What I would like to put on record is how grateful we are to the uachtaráin, Liam O’Neill, and Páraic Duffy, the ard-stiúrthóir. They have taken our suggestions on board. They have brought it to Central Council now and hopefully they will vote it through.”

Presumably, if these proposals are "the best solution", he must have identified a problem with the national league as it's currently run. Anyone have any ideas what that problem might be?

mcw100 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising that the Carlow manager is in favour of the proposal. Meyler is entitled to his say.

Interesting statement on the Wexford GAA website last night. http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2013/10/wexford-will-fight-league-proposals-all-the-way/
    County board has resolved, should the motion be passed, that Wexford will oppose them with all means at our disposal and will exhaust all the GAA's appeal mechanisms and resort to llegal remedies should it be required

I wish them the best of luck, they were already royally screwed over when the present format was introduced two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Wallflower

Absolutely and utterly disgraceful.

Shameful and totally unsporting.

Conniving and completely underhanded - with out-and-out lies being spoken in attempted denials to fudge the issue.

Pleasing to see so many Cork supporters embarrassed by this

Limerick (as per the Munster Football Seedings) the lackeys once they are thrown a few crumbs

Will not go to any league matches if this goes through (usually go to 4-5 a year)

Hardly surprising that the Carlow manager is in favour of the proposal. Meyler is entitled to his say.

Interesting statement on the Wexford GAA website last night. http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2013/10/wexford-will-fight-league-proposals-all-the-way/

I wish them the best of luck, they were already royally screwed over when the present format was introduced two years ago.

I'd hope the rest of the counties would in 1B would support them as well, if only one country refuses to play the league will just carryon as normal with walkovers given

Shout Dust wrote: »
    I'd hope the rest of the counties would in 1B would support them as well, if only one country refuses to play the league will just carryon as normal with walkovers given

This will achieve nothing though, it wouldn't be a massive financial hit as an 8 team Division 1 with 28 games next year would probably bring in as much money as the combined 30 games of 1(1A) and 2(1B) did this year.

A boycott would only hurt Wex/Off/Lao/Ant/Car/Wes as they would get no gate receipts and they would severely compromise their championship preparations.

And to be honest, I'm not so sure the GAA would bow to the threat of a boycott? And I'd imagine that Antrim, Laois, Carlow and Westmeath will probably be happy enough with the proposal.

The whole principle is being missed completely.

Its not about structure...(the structure is a minor issue) ...it's about fair play and not letting nods and winks (real Irish politics style) rule the roost.

- The Hurling Development Committee (over 5 years work) proposed the current structure as part of their work - we've had 2 great league campaigns
    - Any change has to go through the GAA executive process - it hasn't, they admitted as much ("a few e-mails")
    - Cork Chairman has been lying through his teeth about the background behind this
    - Any change should go through the approval process and be in effect the following year......so teams/supporters know what they are watching....is is a promotion/relegation match or that'll depend on who gets relegated!!!!

Its about fair play and transparency, not about 1A or 1B or whatever.....those behind this want to debate "structure" and deflect from what is actually transpiring here - as I said which is of far greater significance (and shame to the GAA).

• Advertisement

Wallflower wrote: »
    T,
    - Any change should go through the approval process and be in effect the following year......so teams/supporters know what they are watching....is is a promotion/relegation match or that'll depend on who gets relegated!!!!
    well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Has anyone given a satisfactory answer to the question "why Cork?" yet?

They were relegated on the field of play and, as they played in different divisions, there's no evidence to suggest their league performance was better than that of Offaly or Wexford

bruschi wrote: »

Anyone in cork ,in to gaa,will tell you meyler is a bord man,through and through.

In fairness an astute coach,i rate highly ,knows the game inside out.

But he wont go against Frank.

Remember meyler man in 2002 told landers at the beginning of the strikes,at training one night,take one look arnd the pairc,it be the last you see of it.

He was also with john fenton,a board man also on the hurling development committe.

No suprise they support cork.

On the cork thread last wk i posted that piece where ryan wanted to go n record cork are grateful for liam o neill and duffy accepting their proposals.

Thats how our board work.At a county board meeting in august ,at the end of a meeting,ex board man ,stood up and wanted to thank the irish examiner for the photo frank and jbm in an embrace after cork beat dublin.The floor aplauded.

What a joke.No mention of u21 minor or senior manager vacanies.
    Priorties all the same.

I suggested on a previous post that Wexford shoukd refuse to play in a restructured league - should it happen. They've put their marker down now and put it up to Croke Park. I expect Croke Park, Cork, will back off now. The decent thing to do is to leave things as they are. The top four in 1B should play semi finals with the winners getting promoted to an 8 team 1A division in 2015.

I know that would leave 1A meaningless for 2014 but what the GAA is up to at present is unfair. Just a thought - perhaps get the bottom 2 in 1A to play off with 1B teams for the right to stay up?

I suggested on a previous post that Wexford shoukd refuse to play in a restructured league - should it happen. They've put their marker down now and put it up to Croke Park. I expect Croke Park, Cork, will back off now. The decent thing to do is to leave things as they are. The top four in 1B should play semi finals with the winners getting promoted to an 8 team 1A division in 2015.

I know that would leave 1A meaningless for 2014 but what the GAA is up to at present is unfair. Just a thought - perhaps get the bottom 2 in 1A to play off with 1B teams for the right to stay up?

Top four teams qualifying for semi finals in a 6 team group makes the actual league part quite meaningless. Barring a major upset those four teams would be Cork, Limerick, Wexford and Offaly. And there wouldn't be much of a deterrent to finishing 5th or 6th in your proposed 1B 2014 format. As for Wexford boycotting next years league; that would be a stupid move on their part. No revenue, no championship preparation and definitely no chance of promotion for 2015, that's not shooting themselves in the foot, that's hacking their foot off with a rusty hacksaw blade!!

We can't go back to an 8 team top division for the very simple reason that it would only be changed yet again another year or two down the line.

An 8 team top tier means one or two teams in a second division that are probably too strong for that division, and we'll be straight back to the handful of counties that are "too good" for division 2 complaining and getting the format changed again.

Changes I would make for 2014.

Keep 6 team groups based on 2013 standings.
    1A
    Top 3 qualify for division 1 semi finals.
    5th placed team enters relegation/promotion playoff with 2nd placed 1B team.
    6th placed team automatically relegated.

1B
    1st placed team automatically promoted, and takes remaining semi final place.
    2nd placed team enters relegation/promotion playoff with 5th placed 1A team.
    6th placed team automatically relegated.
    5th placed team enters relegation/promotion playoff with 2nd placed 2A team.

And so on for divisions 2 and 3.

Extra incentive to top a group, extra incentive not to finish 6th. Plus, chance for more teams to earn promotions/relegations. The strict one up one down rule needs to be a little more flexible.

I suggested on a previous post that Wexford shoukd refuse to play in a restructured league - should it happen. They've put their marker down now and put it up to Croke Park. I expect Croke Park, Cork, will back off now.

I'd hate to think that Wexford (and presumably Offaly) would be left on their own in refusing to play in the league, hopefully other counties would support them and that way Cork have no choice but to back off.

I'd hate to think that Wexford (and presumably Offaly) would be left on their own in refusing to play in the league, hopefully other counties would support them and that way Cork have no choice but to back off.

Thats where the problem is ,they will have to go alone.

Antrim wnt support them or carlow.

Wexford are fine to object,my fear is Gaa will put pressure on them they will crumble.

To beat the change unity is a must.

I hope im wrong,but its just a formality.

Does anybody know who actually votes on this?

The make-up, the numbers etc.........

I hope im wrong,but its just a formality.

Unfortunately looks like you're right..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/wexford-bid-to-delay-vote-on-hurling-league-looks-doomed-29651603.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement