Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League revamp your opinions please..

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good decision, although I still would like it to move to a home and away basis thereby giving teams more games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Absolutely correct decision. This mess acting was initiated by Cork. The other big counties had no objection, and why should they! Wexford put a spanner in the works. All along, right up to today,all concerned knew their plan to restructure was against the rules as they had already voted in a change during the current GAA year. Clearly they all accepted this finally.

Cork deserve to play in 1B, that's where they got themselves and deserve it all the more now for trying to avoid the inevitable. Won't it be ironic should O'Grady's Limerick win 1B next year!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice comments from JBM in today's Irish Times:

“I didn’t like some of the comments suggesting that Cork were trying to gain an unfair advantage,” said Barry-Murphy whose team were relegated last season. He was referring to a previous proposal that Division One A be expanded to include Cork and Limerick.
    “I said after we were relegated that I saw no reason why we couldn’t continue to develop in Division One B and that Cork teams in the past had won All-Irelands from a lower division.
    “I hope I’m right on that but in the past couple of championships Limerick, Dublin and Clare proved that you can develop teams in a slightly less competitive environment. I hope we can do the same next year.
    “I do think that Limerick were very badly treated when they won promotion (in 2011) and had it taken off them. Any changes should be played for on the field.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

adrian522 wrote: »

“I didn’t like some of the comments suggesting that Cork were trying to gain an unfair advantage,” said Barry-Murphy whose team were relegated last season. He was referring to a previous proposal that Division One A be expanded to include Cork and Limerick.
    “I said after we were relegated that I saw no reason why we couldn’t continue to develop in Division One B and that Cork teams in the past had won All-Irelands from a lower division.
    “I hope I’m right on that but in the past couple of championships Limerick, Dublin and Clare proved that you can develop teams in a slightly less competitive environment. I hope we can do the same next year.
    “I do think that Limerick were very badly treated when they won promotion (in 2011) and had it taken off them. Any changes should be played for on the field.”

Everyone in cork knew jbm didnt want to be in div 1 over off field antics.As a kilkenny poster said a few months ago cork are blessed to have such a gentleman in charge of the team.

Like the fans,he had no control for what one man in cork does.But people seem to thinks it all cork.

Its a bit like your twin brother robbing a bank and people blame you when you had sweet f**k all to do with it.Its the same here,the board in cork didnt represent the views of cork.

I would of been ashamed to wear a cork jersey if it was changed.Its great that the board didnt get their way.

Dublin ,with Andy kettle speaking out about it during the week and danny sutcliffe certainly helped.Dublin are no small fish and dont have to play yes to us.It was great to show the board can't always get their way.

It was a joke ,the issue was up for debate,when they said in april nothing could be changed for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

It was very unfair how Cork were portrayed by people here and elsewhere when in reality the average Cork person was happy to take their medicine and play in division 2, the attitude from Cork fans and players and JBM and his staff was they were relegated fair and square and that it was up to them to win their way back into the top tier.

Had this gone through it would have been because a majority of counties (plural..) voted for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Mr. niceguy/gentleman (JBM) whatever you want to call him should take up politics :rolleyes: Absolutely correct decision to leave things the way they are, didn't think it was going to happen :D

mcw100 wrote: »
    Mr. niceguy/gentleman (JBM) whatever you want to call him should take up politics :rolleyes:

What's your problem with what he said??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mr. niceguy/gentleman (JBM) whatever you want to call him should take up politics :rolleyes: Absolutely correct decision to leave things the way they are, didn't think it was going to happen :D

So what exactly did he say that you disagreed with?

I have no problem with what he said... just a pity he didn't comment when this first arose & nailed his colours to the mast.. oops he did (by saying nothing);)

I have no problem with what he said... just a pity he didn't comment when this first arose & nailed his colours to the mast.. oops he did (by saying nothing);)

Why should he have said anything? He said nothing for or against it. He didn't nail his colours to any mast, kept them firmly in his back pocket. You obviously have a bit of an agenda when it comes to JBM.

Regardless of whether he felt the changes were right or wrong, he's hardly going to start complaining if his team is kept in the top division, no manager would, does anyone believe that Wexford would have campaigned against the changes had it been agreed to expand the top division to 10 teams instead of 8? They'd have kept their mouths shut too in that case.

JBM stayed out of it, and in any case; him making a statement would have made no difference.

• Advertisement

No problem with all of the above with the exception of the first sentence. Who else was to blame but Cork. Everybody knows it was instigated by Cork i.e. the County Board, not JBM. Nobody blamed JBM for it. But CORK tried it on. Of course JBM would be happy to remain in 1A but it wasn't his doing. Central Council should never have considered it as it wasn't within the rules. They were happy to turn a blind eye to it until Wexford kicked up. They then muddied the waters in order to cover up. The change was never going to happen last Saturday. Shame on Cork and the Central Council.

Grats wrote: »
    No problem with all of the above with the exception of the first sentence. Who ekse was to blame but Cork. Everybody knows it was instigated by Cork I.e. the County Board, not JBM. Nobody blamed JBM for it. But CORK tried it on. Of course JBM would be happy to remain in 1A but it wasn't his doing. Central Council should never have considered it as it wasn't within the rules. They were happy to turn a blind eye to it until Wexford kicked up. They then muddied the waters in order to cover up. The change was never going to happen last Saturday. Shane on Cork and the Central Council.
    Shame on the county board,not cork as a whole.

Their is a lot of people at club level,grassroots in cork embarassed by this faicsco.

Bob ryan then comes out and says hes dissapointed that league is not changed as he feels for the weaker counties and sees it as an invalued league to them.Who is he trying to fool.

What a laugh.They tried to screw offaly,and wexford over ,they wanted a seeded draw in munster football to generate bigger gate recipts with cork kerry munster final,as like the league they need money for the new pairc,where planning was lodged last week.

They dont give a monkeys about how weaker counties in football ,limkerick and tipp are effected.

I was delighted when i heard the board giving out.Now they now how the fans feel.Our same all ireland hurling team have to have a night at the dogs to raise money for the hurling team.

A farce in this day and age with a county like cork.

Why should he have said anything? He said nothing for or against it. He didn't nail his colours to any mast, kept them firmly in his back pocket. You obviously have a bit of an agenda when it comes to JBM.

Regardless of whether he felt the changes were right or wrong, he's hardly going to start complaining if his team is kept in the top division, no manager would, does anyone believe that Wexford would have campaigned against the changes had it been agreed to expand the top division to 10 teams instead of 8? They'd have kept their mouths shut too in that case.

JBM stayed out of it, and in any case; him making a statement would have made no difference.

Firstly, I have no agenda. The only thing I wanted to see was fairness, which has surprisingly come to fruition.

Secondly, of course if JBM had made a statement it would have made a difference. He (JBM) is a politian plain & simple doesn't want to rock the boat either way, it's very easy to come out with his "statement" when he (JBM/Cork County Board) have to been defeated.

So you've no agenda when it comes to JBM yet you immediately incorrectly label him as a politician, and try to portray him as having a personal involvement in making the proposals, as apparently he personally (along with the CB) was defeated. When you make statements with negative connotations against an individual that have no foundation, that is because you have a negative agenda against that person.

No point talking to some people, some people just want to personalise this issue, be that against Jimmy Barry-Murphy, or Cork GAA as a whole.

Yep, this was all one big conspiracy and the big bad evil conspirators have been defeated, hurrah :rolleyes:

[QUOTE Yep, this was all one big conspiracy and the big bad evil conspirators have been defeated, hurrah :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes, correct. Hurrah is right boy! :D

As the saying goes - if the cap fits, wear it! Most posters accept that it was a Cork County Board "initiative". It seems to me that it is the Cork posters - some - who continuously drag JBM and the Cork people into the argument. There was enough muddying of the waters by the officials. Let's not use the same tactics here. The facts are that Cork - i.e. County Board - initiated this proposal - some Counties fell for it - Central Council were willing to break the rules - the proposal was illegal and had to he thrown out.

The amusing thing is that Frank Murphy frequently gets complimented for "understanding" the rules of the GAA - did he honestly "understand" the relevant rule in this case or ???

As the saying goes - if the cap fits, wear it! Most posters accept that it was a Cork County Board "initiative". It seems to me that it is the Cork posters - some - who continuously drag JBM and the Cork people into the argument. There was enough muddying of the waters by the officials. Let's not use the same tactics here. The facts are that Cork - i.e. County Board - initiated this proposal - some Counties fell for it - Central Council were willing to break the rules - the proposal was illegal and had to he thrown out.

The amusing thing is that Frank Murphy frequently gets complimented for "understanding" the rules of the GAA - did he honestly "understand" the relevant rule in this case or ???
    He understood it, of course. He was just seeing if he could work his way round it. I think he gets a kick out of being seen to pull strokes. What amazes me is the way that people higher up, in Croke Park, are willing to go along with him on such a blatantly self-serving scheme.

He understood it, of course. He was just seeing if he could work his way round it. I think he gets a kick out of being seen to pull strokes. What amazes me is the way that people higher up, in Croke Park, are willing to go along with him on such a blatantly self-serving scheme.

The decison has been well and truly made,you would think cork would leave it be.John cocoran a football man ,comes out last night in the paper today and insults Carlow hurling for criticising cork.

It was an awful insult ,and with john meyler a cork man up their doing great work,it was totally unnecessarry.

The decison has been well and truly made,you would think cork would leave it be.John cocoran a football man ,comes out last night in the paper today and insults Carlow hurling for criticising cork.

It was an awful insult ,and with john meyler a cork man up their doing great work,it was totally unnecessarry.

When you say "the paper" I presume you mean "de paper", as in The Examiner, right?:) Must have a look. No need for insults alright, but sure it's silly season now, every stupid comment will make the papers this time of year.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rebels-see-appalling-plan-to-change-20m-frees-as-bid-to-nullify-nash-threat-250168.html

"The St Mary’s delegate also hit out at Carlow captain Edward Coady, who had said Central Council was right not to allow Cork “dictate the structure of the league”.

Corcoran said: “For somebody from Carlow to be lecturing Cork on hurling is akin to Jedward telling Pavarotti how to sing.” "

I hope Corcoran is proud of himself today, he's effectively confirmed the worst suspicions of people from weaker counties that the people from strong ones couldn't give a flying fiddler's about promoting hurling elsewhere. For a team with almost no underage success for donkey's years, no senior silverware in nearly as long, and reduced to pulling strokes in the boardroom to try and keep their division 1 status, that kind of sneering rings pretty hollow. I'd only hope and pray no Kilkenny board delegate (or anyone else who would be seen as representing Kilkenny) would ever make such a balls up.

• Advertisement

When you say "the paper" I presume you mean "de paper", as in The Examiner, right?:) Must have a look. No need for insults alright, but sure it's silly season now, every stupid comment will make the papers this time of year.

Yeah i wouldnt even quote it here,it was awful,down your knose type of stuff.Very suprised by the man in question.

Hes a football man,so i dont know why hes so admant on it.

Dont you know,a lot of anti cork now will use this as another stroke against us when hes views arent held by majority cork peopleg

Yeah i wouldnt even quote it here,it was awful,down your knose type of stuff.Very suprised by the man in question.

Hes a football man,so i dont know why hes so admant on it.

Dont you know,a lot of anti cork now will use this as another stroke against us when hes views arent held by majority cork peopleg

I actually did quote it (sure it's in the papers now anyway) in an edit just now. Yeah he seems to be an awful eejit going by that, I'd hope the actual hurling folk will distance themselves from it (don't get me wrong though...twas a funny line)

EDIT: Found it: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rebels-see-appalling-plan-to-change-20m-frees-as-bid-to-nullify-nash-threat-250168.html

"The St Mary’s delegate also hit out at Carlow captain Edward Coady, who had said Central Council was right not to allow Cork “dictate the structure of the league”.

Corcoran said: “For somebody from Carlow to be lecturing Cork on hurling is akin to Jedward telling Pavarotti how to sing.” "

I hope Corcoran is proud of himself today, he's effectively confirmed the worst suspicions of people from weaker counties that the people from strong ones couldn't give a flying fiddler's about promoting hurling elsewhere. For a team with almost no underage success for donkey's years, no senior silverware in nearly as long, and reduced to pulling strokes in the boardroom to try and keep their division 1 status, that kind of sneering rings pretty hollow. I'd only hope and pray no Kilkenny board delegate (or anyone else who would be seen as representing Kilkenny) would ever make such a balls up.
    Purely a joke of a statement.John meyler is doing great work up their,they beat dublin u21,Cit even played them in a challenge last year and were severly tested and carlow had a lo of key men out.

Their was no need to say it.
    As you said he should have asked serious questions about why an u21 manager is in place with 3 years of an failed record,and why the minor set up ,was neglected then attack the weaker counties,it would have been more worthwhile,and if we had a good underage set up ,we woudnt be in the mess were in now.Typical,blame everything else,rather than look within.
    They got it right this year do With the minors,at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Corcoran was utterly wrong here, but why did Carlow make the statement about Cork wanting to dictate the structure of the hurling league, when they themselves also opposed the 2014 format by putting forward another proposal ? Or am I missing something ? :confused:

eigrod wrote: »
    Corcoran was utterly wrong here, but why did Carlow make the statement about Cork wanting to dictate the structure of the hurling league, when they themselves also opposed the 2014 format by putting forward another proposal ? Or am I missing something ? :confused:

Carlow didn't make the statement, the Carlow hurling captain said it in an interview.

Carlow didn't make the statement, the Carlow hurling captain said it in an interview.
    Danny sutcliffe made a similar comment ,that it was changed to suit cork.And nothing was said.Corcoran attacks the Carlow captain though.

Sour grapes it makes him sound like.
    Sutciffe and cody were well entilted to say their views,they play the game ,and it directly affected them,the leauge.

• Advertisement

Below is an extract from Martin Brehony's article in the Indo - I don't think the relevant questions he's asking will be ever answered. BTW, those arrogant comments form Cork man Corcoran is what gives Cork a bad name. Some arrogance considering how the whole mess arose in the first place. Then again, should we be really surprised.

Overall, it has been a sorry saga which leaves unanswered questions. Where did the original proposal to fast-track Cork and Limerick into 1A come from? Why did Croke Park give it any credence, since CC had already made a decision on the league format last December?

Why did the GAA's top brass show such enthusiasm for Michael Burns' subsequent proposal? Is it not the responsibility of committees, rather than individuals, to come up with proposals?

If CC were prepared to consider alternative proposals after making a decision last December, what credibility have they? And, having wavered at their October meeting, how can they expect the hurling public to accept that it's a good idea to keep the latest structure in place until the end of 2016?

If the final outcome of the dithering had produced a progressive league format, nobody would have minded, but it has instead delivered an uneven, inconsistent structure, whose weaknesses will become apparent next year.

CC insists that it will remain in place for three years. Don't believe it. They have changed their minds before and will do so again. What odds on another change for 2015?

Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. This isn't the great scandal that some people desperately want it to be. There is always talk of reforming the league, there always will be, there is no format that will result in universal satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. This isn't the great scandal that some people desperately want it to be. There is always talk of reforming the league, there always will be, there is no format that will result in universal satisfaction.

Is right.

Well, I guess, that would depend on where you're from!!! Those from the "Rest of Ireland" clearly had a different view than you on the issue - but that's hardly surprising!!!

Well, I guess, that would depend on where you're from!!! Those from the "Rest of Ireland" clearly had a different view than you on the issue - but that's hardly surprising!!!

You're attempts at being a smartass have backfired as I'm not from the county you seem to think I'm from. Also, I think you'll find that about 20 odd counties didn't really care all that much either way about this issue.

• Advertisement

You're attempts at being a smartass have backfired as I'm not from the county you seem to think I'm from. Also, I think you'll find that about 20 odd counties didn't really care all that much either way about this issue.

You're the one with very staunch views on this subject and on the contrary you yourself posted very smartass comments. I haven't a clue where you're from nor do I care.

Staunch views?? Such as?? You're starting to embarrass yourself now. You have been "staunchly" anti-Cork on many occasions in this thread.

I know you haven't a clue where I'm from, you proved that in your previous message, you thought I was from Cork, you were wrong, and you do care where I'm from as you seem to be under the impression that where I'm from is key to the views that I hold.

So what are these "very staunch views" you claim I hold? The last view I gave was that you were making a mountain out of a molehill, if you feel that is staunch then I'm afraid you're a touch over-sensitive.

Edit; Also, while you're at it, please quote some of these "smartass" comments you claim I have made......

So you can't remember what you posted? Do ye get much rain down there?

So you can't remember what you posted? Do ye get much rain down there?

Nice try, reason you couldn't quote anything is because I neither said anything staunch, nor of a smartass nature. You can't quote comments that don't exist.

Good man.

"Mountain out of a molehill... nonsence"

This isn't a great scandel but everyone knows what goes on.. ;)

Purely in the name of fairness the league has remained unchanged which was the right thing to do.

As you are well aware Clare beat Cork in Limerick in extra time in the league relegation playoff fair & square..

In the championship Clare went on to win their 4th all Ireland ever which was an incredible achievement for the county considering the size & population of Clare.

After the magnificent young players giving all that enjoyment, excitement and pure unadulterated joy to all Clare people young & old we are left with the good ould CCC again trying to run the whole show.. this is what sickens me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

That would be those counties who couldn't give two f***s about hurling.

It is simple. Cork tried to pull a fast one, sure everyone knows cork don't belong in division 2. The only problem for them was that those left behind in 1b wouldn't take it lying down, and now they are bitter about it.

"Mountain out of a molehill... nonsence"

Purely in the name of fairness the league has remained unchanged which was the right thing to do.

As you are well aware Clare beat Cork in Limerick in extra time in the league relegation playoff fair & square..

In the championship Clare went on to win their 4th all Ireland ever which was an incredible achievement for the county considering the size & population of Clare.

After the magnificent young players giving all that enjoyment, excitement and pure unadulterated joy to all Clare people young & old we are left with the good ould CCC again trying to run the whole show.. this is what sickens me..

Spot on

"Mountain out of a molehill... nonsense"
    Getting upset about something that never happened in the end is indeed, nonsense.
    Yes, not a great scandal. What "went on" was quite simple, new proposal put forward (as has happened 8 times since 1997), proposal was rejected as it didn't gather the required support. End of story. But not for some.....
    Yep. Care to tell me why you're telling me this? That's exactly what I've been saying all along. You must have mistakenly assumed I feel otherwise, I just believe it is wrong of people to start personalising this against JBM and Cork. A tiny minority of Cork men wanted this, a few men on the Cork board does not equal Cork. The average Cork man was happy to take their medicine and play 1B.
    I'm aware as anyone else. But why would I be "well aware"? Have you too mistakenly assumed I'm from Cork? Well I'm not.
    You're telling me this why? It's not an "incredible" achievement, they are reaping the rewards of excellent work done at underage level in the last decade. What Kilkenny did from 2006-2012 was "incredible", the best is yet to come from this Clare team. They will win more All-Irelands, it's just a matter of how many. They will surpass the Clare team of the 90's.
    This is making a mountain out of a molehill, to suggest that something as simple as a change in league format - which has happened 8 times since 1997 - would spoil Clare's enjoyment, or taint the current feelgood factor we have in hurling, is utter over reactionary hyperbole of the highest order.

That would be those counties who couldn't give two f***s about hurling.

It is simple. Cork tried to pull a fast one, sure everyone knows cork don't belong in division 2. The only problem for them was that those left behind in 1b wouldn't take it lying down, and now they are bitter about it.

Who is bitter? Again, more people taking the opinions of 0.05% of Cork people and trying to portray those views as representative as the county as a whole. The average Cork person didn't want change, they wanted to win their way back in to 1A fair and square.

And also, you've proven my point. ""Gnats"" said the "rest of the country" viewed it as a great scandal, I pointed out that 20 odd counties didn't care either way, though I wouldn't quite put it the same way as you, the majority of counties don't "give two ****s about hurling".

Let me just finish this by once again saying I am not from Cork, I don't support Cork. Some people have the idiotic notion that only a Cork man would hold my views.

Getting upset about something that never happened in the end is indeed, nonsense.

Getting upset? No, I am passionate about hurling & Clare hurling in particular, I was very surprised this was defeated..

Yes, not a great scandal. What "went on" was quite simple, new proposal put forward (as has happened 8 times since 1997), proposal was rejected as it didn't gather the required support. End of story. But not for some.....

Cork went down plain & simple then everything had to change..

Yep. Care to tell me why you're telling me this? That's exactly what I've been saying all along. You must have mistakenly assumed I feel otherwise, I just believe it is wrong of people to start personalising this against JBM and Cork. A tiny minority of Cork men wanted this, a few men on the Cork board does not equal Cork. The average Cork man was happy to take their medicine and play 1B.

I'm aware as anyone else. But why would I be "well aware"? Have you too mistakenly assumed I'm from Cork? Well I'm not.

I honestly am not interested in where you are from when I said "well aware" I meant anyone who a avid follower of hurling will know this...

You're telling me this why? It's not an "incredible" achievement, they are reaping the rewards of excellent work done at underage level in the last decade. What Kilkenny did from 2006-2012 was "incredible", the best is yet to come from this Clare team. They will win more All-Irelands, it's just a matter of how many. They will surpass the Clare team of the 90's.

It is an "incredible" achievement we don't have the resources or population as some of the bigger counties.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill, to suggest that something as simple as a change in league format - which has happened 8 times since 1997 - would spoil Clare's enjoyment, or taint the current feelgood factor we have in hurling, is utter over reactionary hyperbole of the highest order.

It doesn't spoil my or any other person from Clare's enjoyment, it is my view & a view which a strongly hold

Who is bitter? Again, more people taking the opinions of 0.05% of Cork people and trying to portray those views as representative as the county as a whole. The average Cork person didn't want change, they wanted to win their way back in to 1A fair and square.

You really need to visit Cork at some stage 0.05% of Cork ?!! laughable :D

And also, you've proven my point. ""Gnats"" said the "rest of the country" viewed it as a great scandal, I pointed out that 20 odd counties didn't care either way, though I wouldn't quite put it the same way as you, the majority of counties don't "give two ****s about hurling".

Let me just finish this by once again saying I am not from Cork, I don't support Cork. Some people have the idiotic notion that only a Cork man would hold my views.

You are entitled to your view, so am I :D

• Advertisement

Apologies comments a bit mixed up my replies are under original post from Quixoticelixer

Advertisement