Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokless coal prices/suppliers.

Options
  • 06-10-2013 10:42am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11

Howdy.

Anyone any tips for the best smokeless coal?

I live in Letterkenny town and am just on the town boundary so have to burn smokeless. I have found the quality of it varies enormously. I'm not happy with the quality of any of the coal sold in the town, both from that national fuels place on the pearse road and the drive through place on the port road. My local coal man delivers crappy stuff too. It's expensive (17-18 euros a bag) ,very dusty and leaves a lot of ash and cinders. There is a shop in oldtown selling smokeless too and the quality of it is abysmal, a total waste of money.

I have shopped around extensively and then the other day I stopped with a depot in Strabane and found top quality smokeless (the stuff that looks like big, fat nuggets (duck eggs as he described it)) and it was 7:50 stg for a 25 kilo bag. It burns longer, gets very very hot and burns away completely. Is there anywhere around the town that sells this kind of stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dirac98

Try Charles Kelly's

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Nearly sure Tinneys Coal does them nuggets, think they are called brown nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know if smokeless coal is less likely to make a mess of the glass front on my stove?
    As soon as I put coal on it blackens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

Has anybody come across a smokleess coal that gives out good heat? Comparable or better than smokey coal?

The ones I have tried are very poor heat wise ,compared to Colombian housecoal. However the only benefit is that they produce very little soot and stove glass has very little if any staining. You will definitely get a cleaner stove.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 Max3000

banham wrote: »
    Has anybody come across a smokleess coal that gives out good heat? Comparable or better than smokey coal?

The ones I have tried are very poor heat wise ,compared to Colombian housecoal. However the only benefit is that they produce very little soot and stove glass has very little if any staining. You will definitely get a cleaner stove.

Yes the smokeless from Tobins on the port road is very good but very dusty and expensive at 12:50 for a 25 kilo bag. Strabane is the best so far, very, very hot, burns for ages and leaves little ash. 7:50 (stg) for a 25 kilo bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

Max3000 wrote: »
    Yes the smokeless from Tobins on the port road is very good but very dusty and expensive at 12:50 for a 25 kilo bag. Strabane is the best so far, very, very hot, burns for ages and leaves little ash. 7:50 (stg) for a 25 kilo bag.

Thanks for that! Where about in Strabane is the depot? Can you remember what the coal was called?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 Max3000

banham wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Where about in Strabane is the depot? Can you remember what the coal was called?

I don't remember what it was called but the depot (they also sell tyres) is on the railway road just up from the Farmers Home. I think it was the only smokeless they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Is there a big difference between smokeless and regular coal, heat wise. I do not live in a smokeless area, but have been told that the smokeless is so much cleaner.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Is there a big difference between smokeless and regular coal, heat wise. I do not live in a smokeless area, but have been told that the smokeless is so much cleaner.
    cheers

stick with the proper stuff.

Cheaper, burns better and doesn't have you cursing it when the HUGE fire you put on turns into nothing.

Also since we were forced to use smokeless we keep getting bits explode out of the fire so the guard has to stay up way longer holding in the heat more.

Complete waste.

That is of course my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

Donegal Creameries do a cosy-glo smokeless coal for open fires and another for stoves. Looks like a flattened duck egg and burns for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Any body notice that a certain named co-ops bags off coal that sold in a offer off 11 bags for the price off ten does be 3kg short off the 40kg stamped on the bag?
    It's dear enough without this carry on.

Advertisement