Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babaro Children's Festival, Galway

Options
  • 06-10-2013 11:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of taking the 3 children (5, 4 &1) to this the weekend after next.

Anyone ever bring the motorhome and how easy is it to get parking? We don't like campsites unless we really have to.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

No problem parking at the Galway Docks. There are designated camper spots on the western side, complete with hook up if required. Nice and quiet, have never had trouble here when staying with my 3 kids.

€4 per night + €4 for hook up. Note that this does not cover 24 hour parking.

We have also travelled out to Spiddal to get quiet overnight parking away from the city. Lovely beach at Furbo if the weather is good or you have wetsuits.

There is a camping site out in Salthill that I would definitely never stay at again. Apart from the high charges the owner is the most ignorant person I have ever met. Lots of negative views previously here and on the likes of Tripadvisor (mods note that I have not mentioned the site name)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Thank you- that sounds perfect!

Thank you so much for the recommendation. Fantastic location and great to have water and electric hook up. Will definitely return. Well done Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

MammaZita wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the recommendation. Fantastic location and great to have water and electric hook up. Will definitely return. Well done Galway!

How did you find the festival didnt see a single sign anywhere for it, a lot of the things on the programme werent even open to the public. Though it was a bit of a squib.

Thought the festival was excellent and very well run, though we left it til Saturday to look for tickets so everything apart from Tom Chapin's evening performance which we actually wanted to see, was sold out. There were signs all over the City on Saturday and Sunday for the various venues. There were also lots of free art and science workshops throughout the day.
    We're definitely going back for it next year and will buy all the tickets in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

those parking spots in the harbour - I take it they're open year round? Do you have to book in advance?

No need to book it's €4 from 8pm to 8am, plus €4 for electric hook up and water. Plenty of space last Fri and Saturday. Might be different next weekend with bank hol and comedy festival though.

Fantastic spot though, wish we discovered it sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Never heard of these designated camper spots on the western side of Galway harbour. It's a well kept secret!

Where are the spots in relation to the Harbour Hotel?
    Who do you pay the fees to?
    Do you need to be moved on by 8am?
    Do you have a link to the location on Google Maps?

Thanks in advance.

Very easy to find you'll see a few other Motorhomes parked there. Not far from the Harbour Hotel. Minutes walk to Shop St, Eyre Sq etc. don't have coordinates but we found it v easily- it's near a big firm of Solicitors.

You just put money into a meter- pay and display.

No you don't have to move on, just after 8am it's €2 per hour, whereas there's daily parking available elsewhere for )
    €4.

We drove into Salthill on Saturday- signs along the seafront saying No Motorhome Parking- Salthills loss as we had lunch, drinks, and dinner in Galway.

Fantastic move by the Council. If anyone knows of similar elsewhere please let us know- these spots deserve our custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

MammaZita wrote: »
    Fantastic move by the Council. If anyone knows of similar elsewhere please let us know- these spots deserve our custom.

Its the Galway Harbor Master that's responsible for them, not the Council.

Unfortunately the Council seem to invest in putting "No Campervan" signs everywhere else :(. In this case there is definitely something positive to learn from what Galway Harbor have done.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I just assumed it was the Council. My husband did all the parking, paying etc.

There were 3 other Motorhomes parked up and all were empty at 9pm both nights meaning their occupiers were out spending money, including us with 3 young children. I don't like the way Councils etc assume that Motorhomers bring everything with them and spend nothing. A few electricity and water hook ups would be such an asset to any town, especially ones with any type of scenery. There's a perception abroad that ireland is not motorhome friendly- this is probably justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

No need to apologise :), and I agree entirely with your analysis :mad:

Advertisement