Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish college colaiste sheosamh

• 06-10-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Me and my friends are thinking I going to Irish college in June 2014 , were in 5th year and will be 17 , does anybody know if there is a course for our age group in colaiste sheosaimh and I'd te place itself is any good , and is the boy girl ratio equal, and is there more than 100 places or is it v small, it would mean alot if someone could help us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Cliona3 wrote: »
    Me and my friends are thinking I going to Irish college in June 2014 , were in 5th year and will be 17 , does anybody know if there is a course for our age group in colaiste sheosaimh and I'd te place itself is any good , and is the boy girl ratio equal, and is there more than 100 places or is it v small, it would mean alot if someone could help us

I went there two years ago. They have cill chiaran for older group, i think 5th and 6th year and then carna for the younger ones except when i went they were both mixed. I think it was just because there wasnt enough people to fill the two. There was over 100 students as far as i remember but there was like 2 girls to every boy. Overall I really enjoyed and the were strict on the whole speaking irish. There was also themed ceillis most nights and a day trip to Killarey adventure centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cliona3

I went there two years ago. They have cill chiaran for older group, i think 5th and 6th year and then carna for the younger ones except when i went they were both mixed. I think it was just because there wasnt enough people to fill the two. There was over 100 students as far as i remember but there was like 2 girls to every boy. Overall I really enjoyed and the were strict on the whole speaking irish. There was also themed ceillis most nights and a day trip to Killarey adventure centre.
    Thanks a million your a great help yeah to be honest I'd sort if prefer to be with my own age group but sure if were not it's great Craic anyway and are the houses a long walk from college and is it in a town or in the middle of nowhere thanks your such a great help sorry for all the questions :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Thanks a million your a great help yeah to be honest I'd sort if prefer to be with my own age group but sure if were not it's great Craic anyway and are the houses a long walk from college and is it in a town or in the middle of nowhere thanks your such a great help sorry for all the questions :L

Theres two buses that drop you in and collect you all the time but some of the houses close to it had to walk. Well its in Connemara so ya its the middle of nowhere :pac: There is two shops that you can go to everyday and there is a beach close which is nice (when its not raining).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... and is the boy girl ratio equal ...
    Now ... what has that to do with learning Irish? :pac:

Tut tut! :p:D

Now ... what has that to do with learning Irish? :pac:

Tut tut! :p:D

I know I know hahahahahaha

• Advertisement

Theres two buses that drop you in and collect you all the time but some of the houses close to it had to walk. Well its in Connemara so ya its the middle of nowhere :pac: There is two shops that you can go to everyday and there is a beach close which is nice (when its not raining).
    Thats exactly what I wanted to here thanks a mil perfect can't wait wool thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've been there 3 times, once to Carna (Cúrsa B summer between 2nd and 3rd year) and twice to Cill Chiaráin (Cúrsa C going into 5th and Cúrsa B into 6th year). That age split into JC and LC is nearly always there. I've a friend who was there that one time when they lumped everyone together. That was the Cúrsa C I think which is always the least popular one anyway but that was the first time the numbers were that low, hence the need for less teachers, etc.

I always enjoyed my time there anyway. There was always lots of craic around the college and in the houses. Irish-wise, it is relatively strict. At all times, you are meant to be speaking Irish and this is generally enforced. Around the college you wouldn't get away with much English at all. Around the house, it is dependent on your cúntóir(in-house supervisor). Some are strict, others not so much. Go there assuming that Irish is required in the house anyway and see what happens from there.

Numbers-wise, it's been about 120 everytime I've been there, generally with a relatively even split (maybe 55:45 girls to boys)
    The houses vary. If you aren't within a 10 minute walk, one of the buses will cover you. That said, on wet days, the buses do extra runs and cover everyone that isn't really close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I know I know hahahahahaha

Riail a chuaig. :D

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've been there 3 times, once to Carna (Cúrsa B summer between 2nd and 3rd year) and twice to Cill Chiaráin (Cúrsa C going into 5th and Cúrsa B into 6th year). That age split into JC and LC is nearly always there. I've a friend who was there that one time when they lumped everyone together. That was the Cúrsa C I think which is always the least popular one anyway but that was the first time the numbers were that low, hence the need for less teachers, etc.

I always enjoyed my time there anyway. There was always lots of craic around the college and in the houses. Irish-wise, it is relatively strict. At all times, you are meant to be speaking Irish and this is generally enforced. Around the college you wouldn't get away with much English at all. Around the house, it is dependent on your cúntóir(in-house supervisor). Some are strict, others not so much. Go there assuming that Irish is required in the house anyway and see what happens from there.

Numbers-wise, it's been about 120 everytime I've been there, generally with a relatively even split (maybe 55:45 girls to boys)

The houses vary. If you aren't within a 10 minute walk, one of the buses will cover you. That said, on wet days, the buses do extra runs and cover everyone that isn't really close.

Thanks a million your a great help :D

Advertisement