Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in equality studies Ucd would you reccommend it?

Options
  • 06-10-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has any one completed this course or currently completing it. Would you recommend this masters. Have you any advice for someone considering doing it. Did you secure employment on completion of this course. I would appreciate any advice about this course. Any thing I should no before applying etc... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nlk

Hi

I have just completed the MSc in Equality Studies in UCD part time. Like the previous poster I had high expectations before starting as I have friends and colleagues who completed it previously. My expectations about the quality of the teaching and what I learned were exceeded. It really is an excellent school that provides an extremely high quality education, delivered in a supportive and innovative learning environment.

Furthermore, what really surprised me about the course was how much I enjoyed it. Even whilst working full time, I loved attending lectures and doing the work.

I also made some life long friends and colleagues-both students and staff- who I know will be a great resource going forward both professionally and personally.

I was in full time employment at the start of the course so I can't testify to the employment opportunities, but I work in advocacy and the course has definitely helped me in my job.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gregori

huh, where did my post go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 satinlily

Hi there.

I have finished this course and unfortunately I'm very disapointed that I could not get any job relating to that.

It is better you study a course that clearly has a professional name, for your carrier.

I regret why I did't go for something like rehabilitation Study, that at the end I knew what I can get directly.

I hope it helps, although is late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Even though this is a borderline zombie thread, i'll post up a response to the below.

I have finished this course and unfortunately I'm very disapointed that I could not get any job relating to that/

I don't think you can expect any liberal arts-esque degree to 'guarantee' you a job. It's all about what you put in, where you gain experience, which is usually voluntarily. I personally know 2 people who completed this MA, and one currently studying it. The two who completed are both working with NGO's having been kept on following internships, and the girl currently studying, is working with a voluntary internship.

What kind of job do/did you expect?

I studied for nearly 6 years in UCD, before starting more postgraduate studies in another Uni. At no point do I 'Expect' to get a job relating to it, just because I did it. It's all about the work you put in around it.

Either way, from what i've heard, it's a great broad MA with lots of scope and good lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 juniper87

Hi,

I realise this thread hasn't been posted in in in a long time, but could anyone give me an idea of the breakdown of hours on both the FT and PT courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cheesydoodles

juniper87 wrote: »
    Hi,

I realise this thread hasn't been posted in in in a long time, but could anyone give me an idea of the breakdown of hours on both the FT and PT courses?

I know it's been a year, have you by any chance gotten an idea of the hours since? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 a1994f

Hi guys, for those of you who have completed the course would you recommend opting for a thesis or three option modules? Any feed back would be fantastic as I don't know anyone who has taken the course and I'm a bit lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

a1994f wrote: »
    Hi guys, for those of you who have completed the course would you recommend opting for a thesis or three option modules? Any feed back would be fantastic as I don't know anyone who has taken the course and I'm a bit lost!

Apologies for jumping on here but if anyone has feedback on modules over thesis/ workload/timetable etc of any kind it would be most welcome, thanks

Apologies for jumping on here but if anyone has feedback on modules over thesis/ workload/timetable etc of any kind it would be most welcome, thanks

I am literally just finishing off my last assignments for the course today. I could not recommend the course enough. As regards modules over theisis I opted for the module option as did most of my classmates and I thoroughly enjoyed my optional modules. Workload is manageable enough I will admit there's an awful lot of reading but if you keep on top of it you'll be fine! As for the timetable most classes are 2 hours in length and start late enough in the afternoon towards 4pm till 8pm. This was probably the only downside of the course but it's handy if you're working full time.

• Advertisement

I am literally just finishing off my last assignments for the course today. I could not recommend the course enough. As regards modules over theisis I opted for the module option as did most of my classmates and I thoroughly enjoyed my optional modules. Workload is manageable enough I will admit there's an awful lot of reading but if you keep on top of it you'll be fine! As for the timetable most classes are 2 hours in length and start late enough in the afternoon towards 4pm till 8pm. This was probably the only downside of the course but it's handy if you're working full time.

Thanks so much for feedback, I noticed that on timetable a little disappointing in relation to organising childcare but where there's a will...

If you get a minute could you point me in the direction of an up to date timetable please? The link I have does not show all the modules, or perhaps they go by different names?

Thanks so much for feedback, I noticed that on timetable a little disappointing in relation to organising childcare but where there's a will...

If you get a minute could you point me in the direction of an up to date timetable please? The link I have does not show all the modules, or perhaps they go by different names?

Just tried to get on to my sis web but it's been cleared cause I've technically finished. On average most classes started between 2-6pm (all core modules were on in the afternoon onwards) Optional modules were much the same although there was a few options that began at 9am (these weren't offered with the School of Social Justice from memory)
    Pop into the school of social justice if you have a chance before classes start, they're all extremely helpful and if you have any worries they'll help you no problem!

Just tried to get on to my sis web but it's been cleared cause I've technically finished. On average most classes started between 2-6pm (all core modules were on in the afternoon onwards) Optional modules were much the same although there was a few options that began at 9am (these weren't offered with the School of Social Justice from memory)
    Pop into the school of social justice if you have a chance before classes start, they're all extremely helpful and if you have any worries they'll help you no problem!

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, best wishes with your assignments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lcats

Hi , would you happen to have a rough idea of the reading list for this course Please?

Thank you

Advertisement