Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nepotism & Cronyism alive and well

Options
  • 06-10-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

All sorts of absurd reasons are given for the low turn-out in various elections and other polls, the latest suggestion from a government politician being that Irish people are not intelligent enough to understand the issues or the text on ballot papers. The message does not seem to be getting through that a significant percentage of the electorate has no confidence or trust in politicians of any party and regard them all with equal contempt.

Allegations of nepotism and cronyism have, with good reason, been levelled at Fianna Fail for many years, with Fine Gael and Labour being among the chief accusers. Now we learn that the present government has appointed Enda Kenny’s sister-in-law, Noreen O’Kelly to the board of the ESB (Sunday Business Post 06 October, 2013). “Energy minister Pat Rabbite, who proposed the appointment, was informed of O’Kelly’s relationship to the Taoiseach before he brought the nominations to cabinet. Labour did not raise any objections to her appointment.”

Abolition or reform of the Seanad is a long way short of what is required if confidence is to be restored in the political system. The whole smelly dung heap that is Dáil Éireann needs to be pressure hosed from top to bottom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭flutered

smelly dung heap goes no where near describing that vile gut wrenching spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

think you might have posted this in the wrong forum mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

And the cool Vid, Pic or Link is?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Apologies for the error. It was meant for the Politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

From the ESB website: "Noreen O'Kelly is a chartered accountant who has spent over twenty years in two of Ireland’s best-known companies. She trained in KPMG and then worked in Element Six in Co Clare, until she joined Independent News & Media plc in 1990 as group financial accountant. She became group treasurer in 1995 and was appointed company secretary in 1997. She then joined C&C Group plc as Company Secretary in 2002 and managed the regulatory aspects of its successful Initial Public Offering in 2004. She left C&C in 2010 and is now a consultant on corporate governance."

A qualified person should not be discounted or discriminated against just because he/she happens to have relatives in government. To jump to the conclusion of nepotism or calling the Dail a dung heap just because some people happen to be related by marriage in a relatively small country is insular thinking at best, moronic shít-stirring at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh. I got my last 2 jobs through people I know. Most recently I didn't even have to interview , the brother in law just talked to his boss and I started on the Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What the **** is this ****? My buddies didn't die face down in the mud for you to ****ing come on here and post this **** ON COOL VIDS & PICS & ****ING LINKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

[

A qualified person should not be discounted or discriminated against just because he/she happens to have relatives in government. To jump to the conclusion of nepotism or calling the Dail a dung heap just because some people happen to be related by marriage in a relatively small country is insular thinking at best, moronic shít-stirring at worst.[/QUOTE]

Hi Enda lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Wrong forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement