Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter or MC for a beginner?

• 06-10-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Depends on what you want to use the bike for.

I would always recomend that someone gets their full A licence. That way they can ride whatever bike they want, and don't have to worry about passing another licence.

Are you over 24 years of age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you've any intention or desire for a bigger bike in future (no matter how remote), then you'd be mad to get stuck with an 'automatic' only license imo

but otherwise, a scoot be grand for your needs methinks..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wossack wrote: »
    if you've any intention or desire for a bigger bike in future (no matter how remote), then you'd be mad to get stuck with an 'automatic' only license imo

but otherwise, a scoot be grand for your needs methinks..!

...nothing wrong with a big automatic scooter theses days: Burgman 650 comes to mind...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...nothing wrong with a big automatic scooter theses days: Burgman 650 comes to mind...........

Yes, but

can you ride it on an A1 license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

was more thinking of a 'dream bike' type scenario

Wossack wrote: »
    was more thinking of a 'dream bike' type scenario

...ah, I know, but I'm just illustrating that being 'stuck' on either an auto or a 'scooter' isn't exactly the worst these days !

I'd love to try the Burgman myself tbh....wonder what they're like ?

no can do on an A1 licence though: A2, maybe (weight might help it there)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Look at the 2 pictures below, which do you prefer aesthetically for starters? Don't end up buying a bike you don't like the look of is my point because you will be stuck driving it for a year or two initially...

There's a bit more storage on scooters as standard compared to a standard motorbike (a topbox will cost you extra). Apart from that there's not much difference with city driving both machines regards easy of use, parking, fuel economy, security, avoiding idiot drivers etc. Although a Vespa PX carries a spare wheel as standard in case of punctures!!

Vespa-PX-20131.jpg

02103791Kawasaki-ER-5-2006-m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP I've almost 30 years riding experience and from the description of your needs I found the best bike I've ever owned was a Vespa PX200.. Every day I regret getting rid of her.

The amount of room I had to carry stuff was incredible, ease of filtering through traffic, parking ~ everything about it makes sense.

Is there an advantage to owning a motorbike ~ yes they're faster.

OP I've almost 30 years riding experience and from the description of your needs I found the best bike I've ever owned was a Vespa PX200.. Every day I regret getting rid of her.

The amount of room I had to carry stuff was incredible, ease of filtering through traffic, parking ~ everything about it makes sense.

Is there an advantage to owning a motorbike ~ yes they're faster.

....tell me about it: I bought a 'new' PX200 earlier this year, out of storage with only 80kms on it last of the production run with disc brakes etc ........herself found out and went la-la...........never even got to sit on it...........(sigh)........

....so, I drive my PX125 with a vengeance now instead......... :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement