Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum ballot language

• 06-10-2013 1:21pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading a thread on the politics forum about people being confused by the language of the recent referendum, and I was just looking at the ballot, and is the Irish phrasing in that correct? Unfortunately my Irish isn't very good anymore but does the use of 'tá' and 'níl' make sense?

referendum-on-abolition-of-the-seanad-vo-2-390x516.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Irish has no words for 'yes' and 'no' so instead you have to affirm something () or deny it (Níl).

Another pair of options would be Is ea ('It is') or Ní hea ('It isn't').

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Irish has no words for 'yes' and 'no' so instead you have to affirm something () or deny it (Níl).

Another pair of options would be Is ea ('It is') or Ní hea ('It isn't').

But if it's a question they are asking can you still use those words? I would have thought you would need to use a verb to respond..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

and Níl should only be used to answer to a question starting with "An bhfuil __________?" or "Nach bhfuil ____________?"

Sea and Ní hea should only be used to answer "An ea ________?" or "Nach ea _________?"

The options on the ballot paper, given the way the question was posed, should have been "Toilíonn - Yes" or "Ní thoilíonn - No"

and Níl should only be used to answer to a question starting with "An bhfuil __________?" or "Nach bhfuil ____________?"

Sea and Ní hea should only be used to answer "An ea ________?" or "Nach ea _________?"

The options on the ballot paper, given the way the question was posed, should have been "Toilíonn - Yes" or "Ní thoilíonn - No"

You may have to take it up with the Clerk of the Dáil. They have always used and Níl there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You may have to take it up with the Clerk of the Dáil. They have always used and Níl there.

I'm sure they have. They usually phrase the question to suit the answer though!

• Advertisement

And what about Tá (mé i bhfabhar) and Níl (mé i bhfabhar)???

And what about Tá (mé i bhfabhar) and Níl (mé i bhfabhar)???

On closer inspection of the photographs, I think you're correct.

The question is at the top of the paper.

"An bhfuil tú ag...?"

The instructions next to the boxes had me confused.

Mea culpa! :o

It's OK, I'm only messing, really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

On closer inspection of the photographs, I think you're correct.

The question is at the top of the paper.

"An bhfuil tú ag...?"

The instructions next to the boxes had me confused.

Mea culpa! :o

Hm, that could be it alright.. (I also did not see the top of the paper) but wouldn't a 'mé' still be required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

But if it's a question they are asking can you still use those words? I would have thought you would need to use a verb to respond..

Strictly speaking you are correct, but I would think that sea and ni hea ( sorry, my tablet doesn't do accents ) have by usage become legitimate ways to express yes and no. Remember, Latin had no words for yes or no, but its offspring, French, Spanish, Italian etc. have devised forms for yes and no. A purist might equally argue that they shouldn't do so. Usage, my boy, usage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Maybe they should use the non-standard versions of yes and no that have crept into the Irish of many speakers.

Ie (Yeah) - Ná (Naw)

:)

Advertisement