Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason I can't rent an industrial unit to live in?

Options
  • 06-10-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

hi all, as per the thread title, im looking and there are a lot of vacant retail and industrial units around.

Can i rent one of these to live in? - disregarding its suitability. That i will have to decide for myself, upon seeing the place.

I'm thinking from the point of view of rates, insurance, and possibly other factors i havnt considered.

will someone leasing one of these places be happy to just be making money off it again?

this is a fresh idea to me, i dont pretend to know anything about it.

kind regards,
    redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Two words, planning permission. It would be needed for change of use and would be unlikely to be granted in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

Damn!

thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Why not apply then..

Nb what happens re churches that are turned into residential accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rosier wrote: »
    Why not apply then..

The issue is with zoning. Churches are generally in residential zones. Industrial units are in industrial zones. They will not re-zone a single unit.

I know it's actually an issue for some minority religions that have been meeting in industrial units, the councils have recently cracked down on this breach of zoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 chappy79x

been thinking about this with a while to be honest .
    If you had a business and needed a retail unit why not put a little flat up over the office part of it .
    Most standard units have the same kinda layout, office and toilets in one corner with door and window and the rest of the unit open plan with a large roller door.
    Why not just put a little flat up over it , would t take a whole lot if ya kept it spartan like :) and who would know , say nothing to noone , if any one asked ya just say you like your comfort if and when your working late :)
    just an idea lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think people misunderstand zoning. It is not a regimented thing more of a guide to what should go on in areas. You can have property used as a business in a zoned residential area and vise versa. You apply for planning to change it's purpose.

In the case of using an industrial unit as a place to live the biggest problem will be making the property comply with residential building regs for ventilation and access. You would have to get planning permission for change of use too but safe use of the building is the biggest blocker.

chappy79x wrote: »
    been thinking about this with a while to be honest .
    If you had a business and needed a retail unit why not put a little flat up over the office part of it .
    Most standard units have the same kinda layout, office and toilets in one corner with door and window and the rest of the unit open plan with a large roller door.
    Why not just put a little flat up over it , would t take a whole lot if ya kept it spartan like :) and who would know , say nothing to noone , if any one asked ya just say you like your comfort if and when your working late :)
    just an idea lol

My thoughts exactly! loL!

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think people misunderstand zoning. It is not a regimented thing more of a guide to what should go on in areas. You can have property used as a business in a zoned residential area and vise versa. You apply for planning to change it's purpose.

In the case of using an industrial unit as a place to live the biggest problem will be making the property comply with residential building regs for ventilation and access. You would have to get planning permission for change of use too but safe use of the building is the biggest blocker.

Interesting but don't industrial units have eg kitchen and toilet facilities for workers as a matter of course which could need the same safety rules.

Old houses in Ireland have doors and windows is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The problem might not be so much with planning/zoning, but the fact that the property might not (and probably wouldnt tbh) meet the minimum standard for a rented property, either in terms of safety or what is required to be supplied to the tenant.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    The problem might not be so much with planning/zoning, but the fact that the property might not (and probably wouldnt tbh) meet the minimum standard for a rented property, either in terms of safety or what is required to be supplied to the tenant.

Hmmm.. if you had seen some of the slums I have rented,,,Minimum standards are not always adhered to especially if you need RA

outta interest , how much would a reg unit cost to buy now ,
    i know area would have alot to do with it but just wondering :)
    be better to pay one mortgage than two :).
    Most units would be fairly bare , be just the real basic but i guess if ya shopped around you could get a place that was fitted out better .

chappy79x wrote: »
    outta interest , how much would a reg unit cost to buy now ,
    i know area would have alot to do with it but just wondering :)
    be better to pay one mortgage than two :).
    Most units would be fairly bare , be just the real basic but i guess if ya shopped around you could get a place that was fitted out better .

Have a look around daft ie commercial premises... some interesting ideas there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not apply then..

Planning is required in those situations. Ever hear of zoning and planning regulations?

Interesting but don't industrial units have eg kitchen and toilet facilities for workers as a matter of course which could need the same safety rules.

Old houses in Ireland have doors and windows is all.

Different rules for a place you sleep in. You can work on a building site with a hard hat and a hi vis jacket doesn't mean it is safe to live there. Entrances to industrial building may be safe in general but not in terms of children.

Old houses don't have to meet modern regs but changing a place into a residence do have to match current regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In the states and in London loft appartments have been very hip, and most of them were just converted factories and warehouses , some very roughly converted .... Would think there are some unfinished office blocks and apartment building in the middle of no where that could be lived in with a little
    Jiggling ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Different rules for a place you sleep in. You can work on a building site with a hard hat and a hi vis jacket doesn't mean it is safe to live there. Entrances to industrial building may be safe in general but not in terms of children.

Old houses don't have to meet modern regs but changing a place into a residence do have to match current regs.

I don't think the Op was planning to tell; may be wrong on that. if so apologies

I don't think the Op was planning to tell; may be wrong on that. if so apologies
    What makes you think that been told planning permission was a reason seemed to be enough for him to realise why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

Had the same idea myself years ago - you would have to negotiate a contract with the leaser to defray the costs of the necessary upgrades to make the premises habitable, eg proper furnishings like carpets, heating, efficient insulation, kitchen and bathroom facilities that would be very expensive, otherwise you are literally flushing your money down the toilet. Not sure about the planning situation - plenty of families were raised in "the flat above the shop".

I don't think anyone would be likely to get such terms out of any leaser, who tend to be large commercial outfits uninterested in departures from the norm on behalf of their clients who own or have mortages on the premises.

Still, I thought the guy's dwelling in the 80's French art house film "Diva" was pretty cool !

..... Google the film to see what I mean.

Best of luck anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

And lest we forget...... the dreaded insurance companies.

• Advertisement

Planning is required in those situations. Ever hear of zoning and planning regulations?

No need to be sarky and you must be very naive to think that these are always observed in Ireland. Lost count of the number of buildings I have come across that had no planning permission.

And we are being hypothetical which is interesting and enlightening

OK?

OK!

What makes you think that been told planning permission was a reason seemed to be enough for him to realise why not?

???? The syntax of this reply makes it too difficult to understand.

You need to remember that we are dreaming! All things are possible.

Bluefang wrote: »
    Had the same idea myself years ago - you would have to negotiate a contract with the leaser to defray the costs of the necessary upgrades to make the premises habitable, eg proper furnishings like carpets, heating, efficient insulation, kitchen and bathroom facilities that would be very expensive, otherwise you are literally flushing your money down the toilet. Not sure about the planning situation - plenty of families were raised in "the flat above the shop".

I don't think anyone would be likely to get such terms out of any leaser, who tend to be large commercial outfits uninterested in departures from the norm on behalf of their clients who own or have mortages on the premises.

Still, I thought the guy's dwelling in the 80's French art house film "Diva" was pretty cool !

..... Google the film to see what I mean.

Best of luck anyhow.

fascinating. I honestly do not think it is anyone else's business f you choose to live "above the shop". Living simply

Think I will depart this thread with my dreams and ideas intact with my dreams intact before I get shot down any more by the legalists here who have no sense of fun or imagination! They miss so much they really do!

Taking things far too seriously!

Adding a few more to my ignore list also!!

Have a nice evening out there!

okay. I'm the OP and I started the thread whilst on a fact finding mission. I really have no interest in living like a fugitive, so scrap the idea of living in the unit. onto the next question.

I do need a storage space. do I have to pay rates and insurance if i am not using the unit in a retail or manufacturing capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I work in an industrial estate, toilet, shower, heating, broadand, carpets in the offices, kitchen are all there. the only thing would be locking the shutter from the inside. No barking dogs or problems with the neighbours either :)

ahh screw it , this is to much fun just to throw away lol
    Well if it was me i d be looking to buy rather than rent , then i reckon ya could do what ya like .
    As for planning laws and planning permission , AHHHHHHHH IT LL BE GRAND :)
    whats the worst that could happen :p ( famous last words , but remember we re in dream lands guys )

Simon has a very good point , if ya pick the right spot ya could have a whole play ground to yourself
    come evening time and the weekend :) and the shutter would be no prob , that would be the easest fix of the whole idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Redd4 wrote: »
    okay. I'm the OP and I started the thread whilst on a fact finding mission. I really have no interest in living like a fugitive, so scrap the idea of living in the unit. onto the next question.

I do need a storage space. do I have to pay rates and insurance if i am not using the unit in a retail or manufacturing capacity?

I believe untill you get permission for a change of use you will continue to be liable for rates as they stand.

yeah but it can be fun bending the rules sometime. As long as your not hurting anyone what harm lol

cheers for the info.

does anyone know about insurance if I'm only store my own stuff?

• Advertisement

all depends on what the stuff is, if anything happens your stuff while in storage , as in fire or water damage or getting robbed would ya wanted it replaced or repaired ?

Advertisement