Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a Car in America.

• 06-10-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

What's the story with renting cars in America. Looking around online I see cars as cheap as $22 a day but I'm afraid of additional/hidden fees.

What is the best way of going about renting a car for a week. We're landing in LAX (Los Angeles) and we both have Driving Licences. We're both 24 though and I understand that some rental agencies don't rent cars unless you are 25 and up. Is there anywhere I could get information on the best way of going about renting a car which will include insurance and the lot for a week without paying over the top prices?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Renting is cheap because most people rent on their own insurance.

I recommend getting insurance before you travel to cover your car rental. Over 25 is pretty standard so good luck. At 24 you will be raped on over the counter insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EoinT89

Well I've just cancelled my insurance here in Ireland as we're moving over to the US for 14 months.. Is it pointless to be renting for a week so?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No it's not pointless, but you'll have to buy insurance on the rental. Try and arrange it before you go, as if you do it at the counter over there, it will cost a lot, often more than the daily rental rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MadsL wrote: »
    I recommend getting insurance before you travel to cover your car rental. Over 25 is pretty standard so good luck. At 24 you will be raped on over the counter insurance.

I'm not sure that works any more. Internationally at least.

EoinT89 wrote: »
    What's the story with renting cars in America. Looking around online I see cars as cheap as $22 a day but I'm afraid of additional/hidden fees.

What is the best way of going about renting a car for a week. We're landing in LAX (Los Angeles) and we both have Driving Licences. We're both 24 though and I understand that some rental agencies don't rent cars unless you are 25 and up. Is there anywhere I could get information on the best way of going about renting a car which will include insurance and the lot for a week without paying over the top prices?.

Thanks.

Insurance is generally more per day than the rental. Same for me when I come home to ireland. Its just the way it is. Every state has different laws on insurance and tax which is why its hard for any site to be specific too.

The best thing is to phone the rental companies and ask. Dont skimp on insurance though, few things are worse than legal difficulties in a foreign country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally, if you book through the rental car companies .ie/.co.uk site you'll nearly always get prices including the nessecary insurances.

I've been looking through CarHire3000.ie as I've heard that booking through Irish websites usually include insurance in the total price.. I don't see anything that says insurance but is that what the young drivers additional option is?

http://www.carhire3000.ie/DriverExtras.do

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm just back from LA. I rented a car from LAX and thankfully everything went down smoothly. Unfortunately, like you, I'm under 25. With every rental company that means you are liable for extortionate 'young renter' fees. These really bump up the price, but I don't think there's any way around it.

Rent online and do some comparisons. Look for discount codes, there are LOADS and you can save yourself a good bit of cash. I used the site http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/ - I think it works as an agent. I booked a car with ALAMO. It ended up being the cheapest I could find, and I could pay in advance. Confirmation details / instructions were emailed to me, I picked up the car on the day and simply returned a week later. One thing to note, the guy at the desk told me the tank was full and I'd have to refill it - I decided to query this during the week and it turned out that I did not have to and would not be charged any extra.

I did get two parking tickets while I was there. I've just paid them now. I didn't know you couldn't park by a red curb... and apparently you can't park facing the wrong direction. Good luck.

vard wrote: »
    I'm just back from LA. I rented a car from LAX and thankfully everything went down smoothly. Unfortunately, like you, I'm under 25. With every rental company that means you are liable for extortionate 'young renter' fees. These really bump up the price, but I don't think there's any way around it.

Rent online and do some comparisons. Look for discount codes, there are LOADS and you can save yourself a good bit of cash. I used the site http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/ - I think it works as an agent. I booked a car with ALAMO. It ended up being the cheapest I could find, and I could pay in advance. Confirmation details / instructions were emailed to me, I picked up the car on the day and simply returned a week later. One thing to note, the guy at the desk told me the tank was full and I'd have to refill it - I decided to query this during the week and it turned out that I did not have to and would not be charged any extra.

I did get two parking tickets while I was there. I've just paid them now. I didn't know you couldn't park by a red curb... and apparently you can't park facing the wrong direction. Good luck.

Perfect. Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on picking up at the airport too. Can you tell me a rough price of what you paid?. Also I'm guessing that the "Young Driver" option is the insurance?.

That's ridiculous about the wrong direction fine, but all good points. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Perfect. Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on picking up at the airport too. Can you tell me a rough price of what you paid?. Also I'm guessing that the "Young Driver" option is the insurance?.

That's ridiculous about the wrong direction fine, but all good points. Thanks again.

I paid 214 pounds STERLING. That was for the week, and I think the young driver option is the insurance. Although, I don't think it's an option - I gather you have to pay it with every company.

and yeah, the parking enforcement is insane over there. Took me some getting used to. If you get a ticket don't ignore it by the way! You'll eventually be charged extra by the company you rent with and they'll add on excessive admin charges and late fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not. Cars pulling out of parking spaces into traffic that is going in the opposite direction to the way that the car is facing is dangerous and causes accidents. I wish we had similar fines here for doing it.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not. Cars pulling out of parking spaces into traffic that is going in the opposite direction to the way that the car is facing is dangerous and causes accidents. I wish we had similar fines here for doing it.

Yeah actually you're right. Does anyone know if Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards will be accepted as a form of paying the Security Deposit?.

Yeah actually you're right. Does anyone know if Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards will be accepted as a form of paying the Security Deposit?.

Generally No. But every state can be different.

With a Visa logo on it, then there's a (slim) possibility but you would need to phone the rental office in the state you will be in and ask them if its okay. Asking the national call centre you may get incorrect info.

I've been stuck once at the airport after being denied and its not a good feeling. That was in Minnesota. Washington state wont ether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The problem is, car rental companies usually put a hold on your account of several hundred dollars until the car is returned. This amount is the deposit for the deductible in case you crash. Therefore, it's not advised to use a debit card as they will literally take the money out of your account and it will be unusable on a trip. If you use a credit card, they only put a hold on the amount in credit and you still have the money on your debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

lil_lisa wrote: »
    The problem is, car rental companies usually put a hold on your account of several hundred dollars until the car is returned. This amount is the deposit for the deductible in case you crash. Therefore, it's not advised to use a debit card as they will literally take the money out of your account and it will be unusable on a trip. If you use a credit card, they only put a hold on the amount in credit and you still have the money on your debit.

Most (if not all) will NOT take an international debit card. We tried in California, just not possible. Even with a US debit card it's awkward (if not impossible) to rent with a debit card. Most companies if they allow it will run a credit check etc, which is not possible with international visitors. Prepaid credit card won't fly either

My advice..apply for a credit card ASAP and hope you get approved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

vard wrote: »
    I paid 214 pounds STERLING. That was for the week, and I think the young driver option is the insurance. Although, I don't think it's an option - I gather you have to pay it with every company.

and yeah, the parking enforcement is insane over there. Took me some getting used to. If you get a ticket don't ignore it by the way! You'll eventually be charged extra by the company you rent with and they'll add on excessive admin charges and late fees.

It's not.

Insurance is in addition to young driver's charge.

You can have other charges too, like an airport levy, transfer charge for a different drop off, and so on.

Don't pay for the GPS sat-nav adder. Just go and buy one in Wal-Mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lecky1

When checking prices also look at renting away from the airport, generally much cheaper and you might still have the option of returning car to the airport.

Advertisement