Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 106 old Doctor Who episodes found - in Ethiopia.

Options
  • 06-10-2013 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Story from the Mirror.co.uk today claims over 106 old episodes of the first two Doctors have been found in Ethiopia. I know this story has been doing the rounds for a while now in one form or another but there's just something about this one, call it intuition.

What do you think?

EDIT: Doctor Who Online seem to be partially confirming this on their Storyfi(is that like twitter?) feed saying that,
    We will finally break our silence on subject by saying missing episodes HAVE been found and some official news will be released within the next month!

Nice...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm... so this sounds like a continuation of the rumours from this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056974501

that a haul of old episodes (the above thread's links claimed 90) were found in Africa. It certainly feels like Deja Vú and will believe it if & when it's officially confirmed by the BBC. The Daily Mirror make The Sun look like unimpeachable source of truth, so I reserve the right to call bullsh*t until the facts surface :)

edit: yup, already reactions are coming in apparently pouring cold water on the story:
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/lost-doctor-who-classics-found-53619.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

The quote from the Radio Times is interesting though, actually going as far as to state that episodes will be on sale this week,
    Recently recovered missing Patrick Troughton episodes will be made available digitally on Wednesday morning, RadioTimes.com can reveal

That's pretty specific.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They could be the 2 they found last year, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I suspect your right. Far too quick to be any found recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, this smells like the announcement about the recent couple of episodes they found & the Mirror are dredging up a months-old and (mostly?) debunked rumour about a massive haul from Africa, because that's the sort of bullsh*t a tabloid rag like the Mirror would do. I just feel bad that we've contributed to their clickthrough rates tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Officially confirmed by the BBC, a number of previously-missing episodes have been recovered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

The number of episodes returned and how they will be made available will be announced during the week

Well this is excellent news. Whether or not it's the rumoured omnifind of all episodes has yet to be seen, but there will at least be some episodes making their way home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I feel sorry for the makers of the Tenth Planet DVD especially the animators of Episode 4 (Hartnell's Regeneration episode), if that episode is found, then the DVD is going to crash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It seems that its not just Doctor Who but a large collection of recordings missing from the BBC were found around 2 or 3 years ago but legal reasons made it difficult for the BBC to get them back someone may have been holding them to ransom.

Still all 106 I doubt it but would be the find of the century

Marco Polo and The Hghlanders would be high on my wish list

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Daemos wrote: »
    Officially confirmed by the BBC, a number of previously-missing episodes have been recovered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

The number of episodes returned and how they will be made available will be announced during the week

Well this is excellent news. Whether or not it's the rumoured omnifind of all episodes has yet to be seen, but there will at least be some episodes making their way home :)

That is the vaguest artcile possible!

The BBC expects the BBC to have a press conference about them later this week... could you not send them a mail and ask them? :D

1383860_10202132623344030_466929416_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Well I certainly hope whatever's found is part of the group of lost classics from that era (stuff like Web of Fear or Fury from the Deep). It'd be a shame and a bit funny if after all this hype and excitement it turned out the haul included some of the old duffer adventures like The Underwater Menace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Announcement to be made on Thursday, apparently. Someone at the BBC denied that it was a find of (nearly) all the episodes but it was related to the stories that circulated earlier, so it should be a major find of some sort.

Frazer Hines has said that he will be present at the press conferance. So maybe episodes related to him at least.

Peter Purves told BBC Norfolk yesterday that he hadn't been made aware of any of his lost episodes being recovered (Shame I was hoping to see 'The Mythmakers') I can't see the amount being anything beyond 15 to 20, might not even be in double figures.

13:47 Edit,
    Embargoed until midnight :mad:

Early Tweets suggest it's 9 episodes found, 2 full stories, both 2nd Doctor, The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World.

Enemy of The World is a great find, it featured Patrick Troughton playing 2 roles and some camera trickery to put them both on screen in the finalé of the story.

Wow, Web of Fear? That's a pretty fantastic find if true; the Brigadier's first story! I'm actually curious to know what else was found; I believe it wasn't just Doctor Who material, that a whole host of other 'lost' BBC episodes from other shows was unearthed.

Update, apparently Episode 3 of Web is missing, ironically the very first appearance of Lethbridge Stewart. :rolleyes: Still though better then nothing at all. We also have Telesnaps of the episode so it's not like we're completely blind about it's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho 10m

Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 of The Enemy of the World plus episodes 2, 4, 5, & 6 of The Web of Fear have been recovered! http://bbc.in/MpSXeN
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Nine-Missing-Episodes-of-Doctor-Who-Discovered
    It’s been announced that 9 missing episodes of Doctor Who have been discovered. All the episodes are from the Second Doctor’s era and come from two stories – The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear.

Both are available now on iTunes in the UK and US - episode 3 of The Web of Fear is reconstructed from image stills and full audio

Both will also get DVD releases further down the line, by which time the above missing episode will probably be animated

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

The episodes can now be bought on iTunes. Heres the story

http://bbc.in/MissingEpisodes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Coldzone wrote: »
    The episodes can now be bought on iTunes. Heres the story

http://bbc.in/MissingEpisodes

Not on fukkin iTunes Ireland. Pack of see you next Tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Not on fukkin iTunes Ireland. Pack of see you next Tuesdays.

Hopefully just a day or two behind. Otherwise not that any of us would know how but I'm sure they will be online somewhere soon.

iTunes Ireland only sell Feature length movies. Not Television shows.

Was there any clarification whether this was a Dr. Who only find, or if there was other BBC material discovered?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Was there any clarification whether this was a Dr. Who only find, or if there was other BBC material discovered?

Just Doctor Who nothing else was mentioned

Been listening to a few podcast, couple have suggested that this might not be all that's going to be returned to the Archive.
    We might be getting Marco Polo, though I don't know if they mean an orphan episode, most of them or all of them.

Advertisement