Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop showing connection but will not connect

• 06-10-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a Toshiba Laptop running windows 7, I was having terrible problems connecting to the internet,I changed the Modem and had Eircom out to check the line and that's fine, My supplier is Vodafone and they have checked the old and new modem and then checked the phone line.I open Google and it just keeps searching and will not log onto the site, I am able to surf the net with the computer in safe mode, but as soon as I come out of that I can't access email or this Boards site,in task Manager it shows I have a number of sites open when I shut them down they reopen I think this is the reason I can't access the net.

I am hoping you can suggest a way to solve this do I have a virus on the Laptop,I have done a scan in safe mode but after deleting some unwanted visitors it is still the same, I am not Tech minded so do I need to leave it into someone.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Hi I have a Toshiba Laptop running windows 7, I was having terrible problems connecting to the internet,I changed the Modem and had Eircom out to check the line and that's fine, My supplier is Vodafone and they have checked the old and new modem and then checked the phone line.I open Google and it just keeps searching and will not log onto the site, I am able to surf the net with the computer in safe mode, but as soon as I come out of that I can't access email or this Boards site,in task Manager it shows I have a number of sites open when I shut them down they reopen I think this is the reason I can't access the net.

I am hoping you can suggest a way to solve this do I have a virus on the Laptop,I have done a scan in safe mode but after deleting some unwanted visitors it is still the same, I am not Tech minded so do I need to leave it into someone.:confused:
    What browser are you using? Is the same thing happening when you use different browsers? Have you tried a system restore to a time when it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

I was using Chrome, but I have changed to Firefox just before I did the full new scan,I have tried to restore, something is holding it back from communicating with the router.

I was using Chrome, but I have changed to Firefox just before I did the full new scan,I have tried to restore, something is holding it back from communicating with the router.
    Have you tried to connect to the router with a cable instead of wifi?

200motels wrote: »
    Have you tried to connect to the router with a cable instead of wifi?
    Using my mobile to upload this reply yes I tried a cable still wont connect.

Using my mobile to upload this reply yes I tried a cable still wont connect.
    Strange one, and as you said it works in safe mode with networking, press the windows button and R and type msconfig in the box that comes up and press OK, go to services, tick the box hide all Microsoft services, your then left with all other services, disable them all and restart and see will you connect to router.

• Advertisement

I was talking to a friend who may think McAffe or other AV might be still loaded from when I bought the computer, I will try this tonight as I am only able to get onto Boards.ie durning working hours on my work computer, a bit odd trying it at night from the mobile, Thanks anyway so far for the tips I will keep you updated how I get on, and in the long run it may help someone else.:confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can run msconfig from the run command. Choose to stop everything in the startup, and see does that help. If it does, figure out what was blocking it.

MarkR wrote: »
    You can run msconfig from the run command. Choose to stop everything in the startup, and see does that help. If it does, figure out what was blocking it.

Thanks I will try this had the same advice from post before so hopefully it will work.;)

:eek: Up and running again from my Laptop, I only hope it keeps going, many thanks to 200motels and MarkR, and above all my Brother in laws cousin,we were told to down load a couple of programs and then delete the router from the computer, and then reload the router number again, all working again :D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Thanks lads.

:eek: Up and running again from my Laptop, I only hope it keeps going, many thanks to 200motels and MarkR, and above all my Brother in laws cousin,we were told to down load a couple of programs and then delete the router from the computer, and then reload the router number again, all working again :D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Thanks lads.
    I'm glad your up and running.

• Advertisement

Still running so I reckon we are sorted.

Cheers

Tawny Owl.:D

Advertisement