Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulk Cooking & Storage

Options
  • 06-10-2013 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Arrived home from work today getting ready for a bulk cook, cook my meals for the next 3 days kind of thing, and my chicken fillets had turned, there were still in date:mad::mad::mad:

So it got me thinking of where i had them stored, which was on the top shelf with a lot of other things, maybe I had too much stuff packed in, and there wasn't enough room for the cold air to circulate. The fridge itself seems cold enough, like milk and yoghurt are holding fine...

So my question is, which part of the fridge is the coldest? Also will over packing the fridge cause things to go off faster due to the cramped conditions?

As I'm planning on bulk cooking, I really need to know where is the best place to store the food in order for it to hold.

Cheers in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The coldest part of the fridge will be the bottom, cold air sinks to the bottom.

Get a decent fridge thermometer, which is what I did after some similar experiences to yourself, and I was quite surprised by how warm my fridge was, especially at the top.

I bought this one ...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Kitchen-Craft-Stainless-Steel-Fridge-Thermometer-/360639207535?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item53f7c5986f

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Heat rises, so the bottom of the fridge is coldest.

The best place to store food you're not eating in the next day or two is the freezer.

Please remember that we cannot give any food safety advice on this forum, and this thread will be closed if it goes that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Faith wrote: »
    Heat rises, so the bottom of the fridge is coldest.

The best place to store food you're not eating in the next day or two is the freezer.

Please remember that we cannot give any food safety advice on this forum, and this thread will be closed if it goes that direction.

Oh of course, was only trying to figure out the coldest parts of the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Raw meat should be kept at the bottom of your fridge anyway but sometimes (very rarely) you can just get very unlucky with chicken and it can have a 'funky' smell coming off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Always keep raw meat at the bottom of the fridge. It's coldest, and also, if there are any raw meat drips, it won't drip onto anything you might eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my chicken fillets had turned, there were still in date:mad::mad::mad:
    I have gotten chicken fillets smelling like they were on the turn the day I got them, I have pretty much given up buying fresh ones now and stick to aldi frozen ones. Ones on the turn before the date was very common for me too, I used to add 3 days before their date, some of the things you see in supermarkets is shocking if you ever go in late and see the major packing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

rubadub wrote: »
    I have gotten chicken fillets smelling like they were on the turn the day I got them, I have pretty much given up buying fresh ones now and stick to aldi frozen ones. Ones on the turn before the date was very common for me too, I used to add 3 days before their date, some of the things you see in supermarkets is shocking if you ever go in late and see the major packing going on.

I normally just freeze once I get home, but these fillets were got in a butchers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have got smelly ones in butchers too, just the other day someone was going on about gone off meat in a butchers near me I had yet to go to.

Advertisement