Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any plans for an Aldi store in South Dublin close to the coast?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

These are two separate areas. Deansgrange is a neighbourood centre and Stillorgan is a district centre

That's not what I meant; Deansgrange Lidl already had SupeValu across the road and Stillorgan Lidl had Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I was told this morning that Lidl's planning application was refused by the council on grounds that
    * area is sufficiently served by permitted ALDI in close proximity
    * nursing home too high
    * bus stops too close to Salloniggin Rd entrance
    * insuffficient green roof coverage

This decision may be appealed but I doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aard wrote: »
    I was under the impresion that "discount" supermarkets were no longer a thing in planning terms - ie now no different than regular supermarkets?

Try telling that to the folk over in Portmarnock, they kept out one of those stores by using spurious objections that had 'snobbery' written all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mhge wrote: »
    That's not what I meant; Deansgrange Lidl already had SupeValu across the road and Stillorgan Lidl had Tesco.

The Lidl store at the crossroads in Deansgrange was in the pipeline for several years. The development involved demolition of the old Bank of Ireland, the construction of an underground car park and above it a new bank branch and Lidl store.

The Supervalu guy across the road pulled out all the stops to keep Lidl out, he bankrolled an ad hoc 'combined Deansgrange residents association' to lodge objections but it backfired spectacularly when he himself attempted to build an apartment block behind his store for student accommodation - the association he was effectively funding lodged an objection and PP was refused!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I've always wondered about Orrr-Tee-Eees use of the phrase "discount supermarkets" in the news. It's like it's a put down or a coded way of saying "they're not from around here".

Every supermarket is a "discounter" - just look at the aisle ends in Dunnes, Supervalu, Tesco, etc . . .

Does anyone know for sure whether the term has any basis in planning (or any other) regulations?

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There used to be a distinction, zagmund. But not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd love for them to put in a planning application for one in Dalkey, just to see the conniptions the locals would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

mhge wrote: »
    When Lidl was granted permission for Deansgrange, the 1998 development plan was in force along with the retail planning guidelines of the time. Both a supermarket and a discount supermarket were then permitted for a neighbourhood centre so Deansgrange got both.

Stillorgan was zoned a district centre and permitted to have multiple supermarkets.

The arrival of Lidl in Deansgrange led to discounting in Supervalu, while Lidl responded to competition with a bakery and some brand name goods rather than the bare minimum selection. Both shops were improved by having to compete with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Both shops were improved by having to compete with each other.

Do you think that the DLR Development Plan (or even the Retail PG) sometimes conspires against healthy competition?

Advertisement