Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese or Akita

Options
  • 06-10-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am thinking of getting a new dog I have narrowed it down to either a Japanese Akita or Bernese mountain I would really appreciate any advice on this matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Very, very different dogs so depends on what you want from a dog. Akitas are extremely stubborn, high-maintenance, a lot of work and hard to train. Bernese are a little softer in temperament, easier to train and not quite as active but still hard work. We also don't have 'Japanese akitas' here anymore, they are 'akita inu' and if you see anyone selling them as Japanese akitas, stay far far away from them. Do you have large breed experience already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Will echo what Rommie said. Vastly different temperaments. An Akita might not be the best choice for a first time owner, if indeed you are. Also they have the downside of being on the Restricted Breeds list, which would require you to keep your Akita muzzled and on a lead when off your property. :(

Bernese are lovely dogs but the Irish ones I've seen have all had joint problems such as elbow dysplasia. On the whole I don't think they've been bred very well for the pet market here so you would have to be extremely fussy in your choice of breeder. They also have a relatively short life span and cancer is a big issue in the breed.

Lots to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I've noticed a big issue with bernese and nerviness in the last few years as well, I've met maybe one or two that were fine, but I've met a lot of very shy ones.

Advertisement