Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a Dog recognise his (dog) family after 4yrs?

• 06-10-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭

Brodi was 4 two weeks ago, we've always kept in touch with the family we got her from, they still have her parents and a brother and sister.

This week we're popping up to see them with our 2, my question is this, will Brodi realise that the dogs she's visiting are her family??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GarysGirl

She absolutely will, dogs are far far more intelligent then some people give them credit for,not a dig at you by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oh, we took her away at 8 weeks old, so i'm thinking maybe a scent or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GarysGirl

most definately, theres probably a huge variety of other ways she will know that we as people could never process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We took our dog back to see his breeder when he was two. He's four now. I was amazed to see he DID recognise his mother, and knew his way around the yard and the shed where he spent the first eight weeks of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

We took our dog back to see his breeder when he was two. He's four now. I was amazed to see he DID recognise his mother, and knew his way around the yard and the shed where he spent the first eight weeks of his life.

Wow, that's amazing, when you think of the tiny proportion of his life he spent there, if you took someone back to the house they lived in when they were 4-5 for a year I doubt they would remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Record the reunion OP! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Somebody has actually done research into this! My laptop on which the research paper is stored is ill at the min, but remind me to dig it out for you :-)
    Enjoy the reunion, would love to see it videoed! (hint, hint)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Echo that, would live to see a recording! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Wow, that's amazing, when you think of the tiny proportion of his life he spent there, if you took someone back to the house they lived in when they were 4-5 for a year I doubt they would remember.

Yeah, we were shocked TBH. I really didn't think he'd remember. But thinking back, I think it was more on scent than anything. Our dog is a Shih Tzu. I remember the dog doing a good impression of a bloodhound when we went out to the back of the house. But he did say 'Hi' to Mum, and wagged his tail when he saw her! It was lovely to see, and I'm sorry we didn't think to take photos (although the breeder did).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

one of my dogs (3 yrs old) is a total disaster when other dogs come in to our house.
    His mother & sister live very close by but he doesnt see them that often.
    Last week the owner brought my dogs mother in to our house. The bitch was on a leash (another issue with my fool dog). He was ECSTATIC to see her :) Didnt mind that his mum was on a leash. Didnt flinch when his mum jumped up on me. Didnt even go nutty when his mum took his bone.
    (If that was another dog - one that he knows well even - he would have to be seperated to another room)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cheers for the replies, all set for Wed afternoon, Bro's Mum, Dad and Sister are still there so it's going to be very interesting, she's not been back there since she was 8 weeks, will record it and post here.

Also throw Ozzy (6 months) into the mix and i see chaos!!!

Advertisement