Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality USB hub?

Options
  • 06-10-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have my computer situated behind my desk, am using a cheap non powered USB hub I found on DX to access my USB ports on the back of the machine. Trouble is any USB hub I have owned doesn't last very long. Is there a good brand out there other than the usual cheap generic chinese rubbish. Also I have two USB three ports on the back of the PC as well not to sure if you can use them in a hub :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

stevek93 wrote: »
    ..am using a cheap non powered USB hub I found on DX to access my USB ports on the back of the machine. Trouble is any USB hub I have owned doesn't last very long.

I've bought many usb hubs from DX, and never had any of them fail.
    How does it fail ?

Are you bending or pulling at the cable too much ?
    Or are you picking a gimmicky designed one ?

I've a few of these and they always worked for me. DX Link

In fact I think I see them in discount stores nowadays and everyone tries to offload their old USB 2 stock.
    Also I have two USB three ports on the back of the PC as well not to sure if you can use them in a hub :confused:

Yep, USB 3 ports are backward compatible with USB 2 and USB 1.
    So you can use them with any USB device, including hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thats the one I have at the moment, odd time I get random disconnects and reconnects looking at a d-link one here on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DUB-H7-Port-USB-External/dp/B0002AFZVM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38UDII8M9Z5GS seems good. As appose to USB 3.0 am aware it is backwards compatible, will I get any decrease in speed by using a hub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

As appose to USB 3.0 am aware it is backwards compatible, will I get any decrease in speed by using a hub?

USB 3.0 devices are "backwards" compatible alright, but why not upgrade your desktop PC?

Advertisement