Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway chess congress

• 06-10-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Well done to Peter Morris's and Co from Galway Chess Club for a very well run congress this weekend. There was a very high attendance with plenty of competitive chess.
    It looked as though Alex Baburin won the top section after drawing with Valentine kalinins this afternoon on B1.
    I didn't see who won the middle section while the minor was a family one two with Mahailo Manojlovic first and his sister Anastsia second.
    In total there looked to be over 140 competitors across the three sections

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Kalinins drew against Heidenfeld and Lopez too to come second, I hear. Seriously good result for him, even given his improvement in the past while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

I think Baburin and Sveshnikov came joint 1st on 5/6 with Kalinins and Mel Ó Cinnéide joint 3rd on 4.5/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Sveshnikov was playing Alex Lopez on B2 when I left needing a win from a level position. Impressive way to therefore finish and tie with Baburin. Do you know who got the cup?
    kalinins excellent weekend also included a very good win over David Fitzsimons as well as his excellent draws. He has made consistent upward progress over the past 12 months and just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

Sveshnikov was playing Alex Lopez on B2 when I left needing a win from a level position. Impressive way to therefore finish and tie with Baburin. Do you know who got the cup?
    I left before the prize-giving so I'm not sure who got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Alex Baburin and Vladimir Sveshnikov came joint first, with Alex winning the trophy on tie-break (the fourth time he has won it). Valentine Kalinins and Mel Ó Cinnéide came third equal. A full report will be on the ICU website today, I hope.

Thanks to all who participated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not on the ICU site yet, but all results are on the Galway site and on the ICU ratings site, with all ratings updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Small writeup on the Benildus site as well:
    Benildus 1-2 in Galway

Mihailo and Anastasija came first and second in the u-1200 section in Galway at the weekend. Between them, they dropped just half a point – Mihailo won outright on 6/6, while Anastasija was sole second on 5½/6. They had both reached 4/4 along with one other player, but a draw for Anastasija in round 5, coupled with their close seeding meant they ended up being kept apart from each other for the whole tournament. They gain 267 points between them to both push through 1100.

Desmond Beatty was the club’s third competitor in the bottom section; he ended on 4/6 to, amazingly, record his third tournament in a row where his rating didn’t change by even a single point. ...continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And a brief writeup on the Ennis Chess Club site as well:
    Baburin wins Galway Congress

Alexander Baburin won the Galway Congress last weekend on tiebreak from Vladimir Sveshnikov. Both players scored 5 from 6. Valentine Kalinins and Mel O Cinneide were just a half point further back on 4.5 in what was a strong masters section. Ennis player Nick Larter finished on 2 which included a number of results against higher rated players. Interesting to see Gabor Horvath making a return to chess in Ireland and scoring 3 points against strong opposition. Gabor has previously played for Ennis in the Munster League....continues

Advertisement