Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce and diabetes

• 06-10-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all.
    Have a brother who's trying to convince me to do Gaelforce west with him next year. I'm looking for any advice from first timers. Any advice particularly on food during the race. I'm assuming the need for food will depend on how long it takes to complete. How much training would I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Just letting you know about myself and what I used for Killarney adventure race last year( similar to GaelForce) I reduced my novarapid dose the morning of the race, ate a mixture of muesli bars and drank lucozade during the race. It really depends on the person and how they absorb carbs. I still had a hypo during the race, however I felt it coming on and had gels to take with me.
    It just takes practice in training to see what food works for you and lots of testing when you are doing long sessions, before, during and after. You may get more information on the athletics forum as I know a few of the runners over their have diabetes.
    Having diabetes shouldn't stop you doing the Gaelforce, you just need to have worked out how many cards to take in for x minutes exercise and have an emergency supply with you in case of Hypo. It really is a case of trail and error.
    Bring your blood meter with you during the race so you can test if needs be.

the amount of training will depend on how fit you are and how fast you want to be getting around.

Advertisement