Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to replace Fridge freezer, am I forgetting somewhere

Options
  • 06-10-2013 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Fridge freezer gone kaput tonight. Just bloody great. Need to replace asap. Looking online at Argos, PowerCity, DID, Harvey Norman & Curry's. Is there somewhere else locally that I'm totally forgetting about or are the big five my only options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ikea do fridge freezers but other than that I think the big five are pretty much your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.baize.ie/

35 Barrow Road, Dublin Industrial Estate, Glasnevin, Dublin 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Do you have a Soundstore near you, they might be just Cork?

Have you tried the olde fashioned local dealers, they tend to have much tighter ranges but some surprisingly good prices if what they have is what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Cedrus wrote: »
    Do you have a Soundstore near you, they might be just Cork?

Have you tried the olde fashioned local dealers, they tend to have much tighter ranges but some surprisingly good prices if what they have is what you want.

Checked out Soundstore online. Not competitive on what I'm looking for

Can't think of any local shops left in D15? I need to replace this asap, it's not something I have the luxury of waiting for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Whichever store you pick, whatever model/type you get, make sure it comes with 5 years warranty for parts (not sure for labour) AND you register the details with supplier.
    Check for local Irish support phone number and /or presence !
    Also, leave your details with the shop in case you need to claim warranty and you've lost the receipt !

It happened to me, the washing machine broke, went to PC, bought the most "expensive" one, with flashy LCD and Computer on-board (i'm it junkie not a woman) then when it broke down, they give me 5 years warranty for parts only...thanks to PC, they had my details in their system to prove the purchase plus local support team in Dublin !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fridge freezer gone kaput tonight. Just bloody great. Need to replace asap. Looking online at Argos, PowerCity, DID, Harvey Norman & Curry's. Is there somewhere else locally that I'm totally forgetting about or are the big five my only options?

The freezer went on me bout 4 months ago so i bought a new one in Powercity. I went around them all before buying.
    I was told after that all i needed to have done was to let it de-frost for 24hrs and it would have been ok again but it was time for a new one anyway :).

rolion wrote: »
    Whichever store you pick, whatever model/type you get, make sure it comes with 5 years warranty for parts (not sure for labour) AND you register the details with supplier.
    Check for local Irish support phone number and /or presence !
    Also, leave your details with the shop in case you need to claim warranty and you've lost the receipt !

It happened to me, the washing machine broke, went to PC, bought the most "expensive" one, with flashy LCD and Computer on-board (i'm it junkie not a woman) then when it broke down, they give me 5 years warranty for parts only...thanks to PC, they had my details in their system to prove the purchase plus local support team in Dublin !

Alas none come with a 5 year warranty, unless I want to pay 1k. I'd still be happy enough under sale of goods act that 1 year warranty does not mean 1 year life expectancy. In the past I got a brand new TV from Samsung in lieu of a nearly 5 year old one with a one year warranty.

As for your washing machine, I used to have a summer job in a shop in the South that sold electrical items. Lesson #1 we were told, avoid the fancy gadgets with on board computers, go as old school as you can. It's much easier & cheaper replace a faulty button than a faulty panel.

BTW Fridge Freezer sorted, thanks to the wonderful people of twitter I got an additional discount in PowerCity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

when buying a new appalince, I just compare power city, DID and Harvey normans. I never look any further, doubt I could do much better than one of them 3. Though uasually they are around the same, Though that only a recent thing their used to be big differences between them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

BTW Fridge Freezer sorted, thanks to the wonderful people of twitter I got an additional discount in PowerCity.

Care to expand on this.

I'll be looking for a few things (fridge freezer, washing machine ) soon and every discount helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

As for your washing machine, I used to have a summer job in a shop in the South that sold electrical items. Lesson #1 we were told, avoid the fancy gadgets with on board computers, go as old school as you can. It's much easier & cheaper replace a faulty button than a faulty panel.

Correct re gadgets...but my older school taught me "don't buy cheap 'cause you'll buy twice" ...or... "I'm too poor to buy something cheap !"

And believe me,it's right,so right ! :)

Enjoy it,now,the big question is ..did you managed to fill it up !??

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote: »
    Care to expand on this.

I'll be looking for a few things (fridge freezer, washing machine ) soon and every discount helps.

Someone that follows me saw a tweet I posted looking for alternative shops and sent me details of their family member who works in Power City and was able to sort a further discount.
    rolion wrote: »
    Correct re gadgets...but my older school taught me "don't buy cheap 'cause you'll buy twice" ...or... "I'm too poor to buy something cheap !"

And believe me,it's right,so right ! :)

Enjoy it,now,the big question is ..did you managed to fill it up !??

Old school isn't always cheap ;) I buy gadgets when I want gadgets and appliances when I want appliances.

Hasn't arrived yet so no chance to fill it, looking at the €20 off a €60 online shop with Tesco for starters (see BA forum) and will keep an eye on Dublin Meat Company specials next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Always ask for an extra discount in Power City especially if buying more than one item.

Make sure you give them your phone number for the system so that when you come back six months later to buy something else you mention you are on the system.

Has always worked for me.

Advertisement