Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-4 Heineken Cup Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just got Leicester at 4/1. Seems like a crazy price tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Clermont haven't looked nearly as good as in seasons gone by. They miss Sivivatu.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I stopped watching lads, what's the current score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If Leicester win this the odds of an Irish winner will be slashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

awec wrote: »

19-16 Clermont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

19:16 16mins left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

How absolutely stupid do you have to be Thomas Waldrom.

Thomas Waldrom you complete gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clermont haven't looked nearly as good as in seasons gone by. They miss Sivivatu.

They're not. They peaked about 2 years ago and their team is rapidly ageing. This is the first season it has become undeniable though; they've so many players well into their thirties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

22-16 66mins

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    They're not. They peaked about 2 years ago and their team is rapidly ageing. This is the first season it has become undeniable though; they've so many players well into their thirties.

I agree and its been pretty clear that this was gonna happen but they haven't had much of a succession plan.

Leicester are doing brilliant to compensate for such an inferior set piece.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Just got Leicester at 4/1. Seems like a crazy price tbh!

Ah feck, I must've jinxed it!Accumulator still intact if Clermont win though..

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I agree and its been pretty clear that this was gonna happen but they haven't had much of a succession plan.

Whoever's succeeding Cotter has an interesting task on their hands there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm rooting for Leicester for some reason. I can't explain it

Grimebox wrote: »

Me too. And no rational reason for it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Clermont's pick and go game can get pretty stupid at times. They were 5m out and had all the momentum, then had about 6 players holding a mini-conference to decide what to do next, they eventually pick and go and lose 5 metres. Then toss it out to a winger isolated against 3 defenders.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't want Leicester.

If we win tonight I'd rather play Clermont. We've beaten Leicester twice already, 3 out of 3 defies the law of averages. :pac:

Grimebox wrote: »

Maybe because it makes it easier for an Irish team to win it? As a Leinster fan I still fear Clermont despite their choking track record.

No i just admire the dogged determination, despite being physically outmatched, of some of the Leicester lads.

• Advertisement

I'm rooting for Leicester because 1. I'd rather Clermont were out for Irish teams sake and 2. Anyone that beats clermont at home deserve our support!

I don't want Leicester.

If we win tonight I'd rather play Clermont. We've beaten Leicester twice already, 3 out of 3 defies the law of averages. :pac:

Stats have a way of biting the hole eventually, alright :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Maybe because it makes it easier for an Irish team to win it? As a Leinster fan I still fear Clermont despite their choking track record.

As a Leinster fan, I think its residual pain from last season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 BPG

That Clermont player was completely in from the side!!!

You ****************************. He was from the side referee.

That's that, unlucky Leicester

Disgraceful reffing from Rolland.

Offside, ffs.

Rolland has been dire this season, not surprised number 21 had a go at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pretty poor call at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I wouldn't be too worried about playing that Clermont side in Lansdowne if I was an Ulster fan. They wobble every time. Leicester should have beaten them.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about playing that Clermont side in Lansdowne if I was an Ulster fan. They wobble every time. Leicester should have beaten them.

Whats different this year though is they're wobbling throughout the game. Not as good as they were. Leicester ran them close despite having no ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No. 18 didnt even come in from the side there at the end- was mile offside. I wonder do touch judges not look for these things or what

corny wrote: »
    Whats different this year though is they're wobbling throughout the game. Not as good as they were. Leicester ran them close despite having no ball.

Definitely not as good as they once were but at the same time Leicester are in superb form at the moment and are a very good side

I know it will only be for a few months, but I hope the English are banished from the Heineken Cup forever more this evening, never to darken the doors of the greatest ever rugby competition again. Then we can enjoy the annual Franco-Irish festival of rugby in peace one last time.

How fitting that it'll be Nigel Wray the last Englishman out the door. Don't let it smack you on the way out Nige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

I know it will only be for a few months, but I hope the English are banished from the Heineken Cup forever more this evening, never to darken the doors of the greatest ever rugby competition again. Then we can enjoy the annual Franco-Irish festival of rugby in peace one last time.

How fitting that it'll be Nigel Wray the last Englishman out the door. Don't let it smack you on the way out Nige.

what a load of pathetic tosh-you should be embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Leicester were very unlucky, I don't think anyone will fear Clermont this season. Last season, I was very apprehensive about playing them and we ran them very close, the year before they were beaten in a classic in the semi-final; but I definitely think they've lost something, despite a fantastic home record.

It's a pity that Leinster have to go away to Toulon, and that Munster will have to play them if they win. Ulster must be fancying their chances of reaching the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Leicester were very unlucky, I don't think anyone will fear Clermont this season. Last season, I was very apprehensive about playing them and we ran them very close, the year before they were beaten in a classic in the semi-final; but I definitely think they've lost something, despite a fantastic home record.

It's a pity that Leinster have to go away to Toulon, and that Munster will have to play them if they win. Ulster must be fancying their chances of reaching the final.

Ulster not even fancying their chances of getting into the semi final at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I very much enjoyed that game. Both teams played great. I actually thought it was better than the game in thomond, probably because of how close it was.

.ak wrote: »
    I very much enjoyed that game. Both teams played great. I actually thought it was better than the game in thomond, probably because of how close it was.

you need the away side to turn up-then you have a game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

eh i hope not.I hope wilko and armitage [x2] have that honour tomorrow

what a load of pathetic tosh-you should be embarrassed.

They dismantled European rugby because they couldn't compete so couldn't make money, so they rejigged a competition stacked in their favour both competitively and financially, with Wray being the instigator and bully that broke the greatest thing in Northern Hemisphere rugby.

No, I'm not alone for my outrage at the English clubs for what they did and I can guarantee you many, many people around Europe will enjoy seeing them out of the competition without ever challenging... again.

Screw 'em!

You obviously don't understand the context, so ssssshhhhh. ;)

Fireball07 wrote: »

clermonts squad is ageing-simple as. Quite a few players past their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They dismantled European rugby because they couldn't compete so couldn't make money, so they rejigged a competition stacked in their favour both competitively and financially, with Wray being the instigator and bully that broke the greatest thing in Northern Hemisphere rugby.

No, I'm not alone for my outrage at the English clubs for what they did and I can guarantee you many, many people around Europe will enjoy seeing them out of the competition without ever challenging... again.

Screw 'em!

I love how you can conveniently forget the French side's part in all of this. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clermont are significantly cutting their age profile of their squad: Cabello, Hines, Vermeulen, Vosloo, King, Sivivatu and Byrne are all leaving. The players coming in are much younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clermont are significantly cutting their age profile of their squad: Cabello, Hines, Vermeulen, Vosloo, King, Sivivatu and Byrne are all leaving. The players coming in are much younger.

But are they the same standard? Vahaamahina, Abendanon, Guildford etc. They've some way to go to replace the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

But are they the same standard? Vahaamahina, Abendanon, Guildford etc. They've some way to go to replace the above.

Good question Buer!

One interesting angle is the arrival of Jonathan Davies. He'll be on big money given his international profile, but Aurelien Rougerie is the Wilkinson-like iconic figure of the club. I'm intrigued to see how Clermont manage those two players.

Screw 'em!

First and foremost-the english clubs have played a huge part in the success of the heineken cup and won it many times even if they dont at moment have the squads to win the thing.
    Secondly-you seem rather bitter that the english and french completely got their way with the new comp? even though they were fully justified and entitled to negotiate having given notice to go?You seem just a bitter irishman.Perhaps the irfu should have done more rather than thinking it was all a bluff-why not direct your anger at them-they were obviously totally outplayed.
    thirdly- Regardless of euro changes-the big 3 irish teams have the squads to compete with anyone-so what really changes? there is no sign of an exodus so why all the fuss?
    anyway lets enjoy tthe ulster game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

While not able to completely agree with Jackass (nor utterly disagree either mind), I would dearly love to see Saracens sat down. A more loathsome club I cannot imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The players are good, but the real issue is the standard of coaching and off field leadership. That needs to been maintained, I don't think it will be. I think they'll fall away now, particularly in the T14.

• Advertisement
Advertisement