Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-4 Heineken Cup Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

[Jackass] wrote: »
    They dismantled European rugby because they couldn't compete so couldn't make money, so they rejigged a competition stacked in their favour both competitively and financially, with Wray being the instigator and bully that broke the greatest thing in Northern Hemisphere rugby.

No, I'm not alone for my outrage at the English clubs for what they did and I can guarantee you many, many people around Europe will enjoy seeing them out of the competition without ever challenging... again.

Screw 'em!

You obviously don't understand the context, so ssssshhhhh. ;)

Haha. All that post just deserves is a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

While not able to completely agree with Jackass (nor utterly disagree either mind), I would dearly love to see Saracens sat down. A more loathsome club I cannot imagine.

Very refreshing to read this EL! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Interesting tweet
    ERC Rugby (@ercrugby) tweeted at 2:17 PM on Sun, Apr 06, 2014:

If @RCTofficiel beat @leinsterrugby in the 4th #HeinekenCup today it will mean the semi-finals of 2014 will have the same 4 teams as 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've heard Henson was class in the first half of Bath brive. Anyone watching

Hopefully next year teams won't be naming second teams in the second tier knockouts. It's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've heard Henson was class in the first half of Bath brive. Anyone watching

Watched a bit of it, Bath were slaughtering them. All I seen of Henson was him putting a guy through on the outside with a flat skip pass which led to a try. Was a pretty good pass in fairness.

Brive weren't up to much though by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

39-0 to Bath with 15min to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hopefully next year teams won't be naming second teams in the second tier knockouts. It's a joke.

I don't know if there'd be a huge difference. The quality of the teams in the knockouts will be quite similar. Depends on how much money is in there for meritocracy I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Henson won man of the match....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

so there'll be an english winner of the amlin then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The fact that this year's champions won't qualify for the top tier devalues it even more.

I can't see future versions being any better tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't know how banahan or abendanon didn't get it.

Lacey didn't seem bothered today. He literally let anything go at the breakdown. Made for a good game of sevens though.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lacey being poor? There's a shock.

I don't think he's much use at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »

I disagree. Johnny is good. Better referee than his full time job as a branch development officer

awec wrote: »

I know you don't rate him because or the pro12 final but I actually think he's a good ref.

• Advertisement

Potentially really good game coming up, Wasps/Gloucester.

So Toulon are now favourites at 11/8 followed by Clermont, Sarries and Munster.

Probably fair enough?

Yep. Although I reckon it'll be a Toulon-Sarries final. Clermont looked a little shakey and Sarries probably know how to beat them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    Yep. Although I reckon it'll be a Toulon-Sarries final. Clermont looked a little shakey and Sarries probably know how to beat them now.

As I read elsewhere, Sarries having Zebre and Connacht in their pool, losing home & away to Toulouse, and narrowly defeating a 14-men Ulster hardly makes them worthy finalists. Hopefully Munster v Clermont for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So Toulon are now favourites at 11/8 followed by Clermont, Sarries and Munster.

Probably fair enough?

Checked the odds earlier before the game, Toulon were 3/1 with Munster 5.1. Munster have drifted to 11/2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Munsters odds have drifted became of Toulons performance. I'm looking at the other semi final & thinking we'd beat either Sarries or Clermont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster can travel to Toulon and be confident of a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

no we can not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

no we can not

How else do you think the squad will face it?

Ye of little faith.

no we can not

They will after they back themselves at 3/1!!!

Optimistic yes. Confident no.

Pedantry: the game is in Marseilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Ref will be key. Someone like Joubert will ping them constantly for not rolling away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Ref will be key. Someone like Joubert will ping them constantly for not rolling away.

Owens or Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It will be an ERC referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Oh ok. Hope Owens gets it. Best ref around imo.

• Advertisement

It depends on who is selected for the Sarries-Clermont game. That can't be Barnes, Garces or Poite so it'll be Owens or Rolland. If it's Rolland then I think it'll be Owens for the Munster game. Possibly also likely that Owens will be in London while Barnes goes to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It depends on who is selected for the Sarries-Clermont game. That can't be Barnes, Garces or Poite so it'll be Owens or Rolland. If it's Rolland then I think it'll be Owens for the Munster game. Possibly also likely that Owens will be in London while Barnes goes to France.

Rolland (for what could be his last game) and Owens are the obvious choices with Barnes the next option for the Munster game

Can't see Owens getting to ref Munster twice in a row. But then again I can't see Barnes reffing Toulon twice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Can't see Owens getting to ref Munster twice in a row. But then again I can't see Barnes reffing Toulon twice either.

I don't think that comes into play, much. In 2009, he had all three of Leinster's knock out games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

don't really think that's an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Rolland is my guess.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Rolland (for what could be his last game) and Owens are the obvious choices with Barnes the next option for the Munster game

Rolland is probably the weakest of the three, but as you said it's his last season so that might give him an edge. Also I think his French would be pretty valuable, as would Barnes' I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think that comes into play, much. In 2009, he had all three of Leinster's knock out games.

And all three of Munsters in 2008. Bring on Nigel :D

Buer wrote: »
    And all three of Munsters in 2008. Bring on Nigel :D

Wow, that's a mad statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

It's not a joke if you do it because you are trying to qualify for the new version of the Heineken Cup next season.

This was certainly Stade's motivation for putting out a second string team against Harlequins. Stade have to go to Bayonne at the weekend in a must win game for both sides.

I would expect any of the Irish provinces to do exactly the same thing.

It's not a joke if you do it because you are trying to qualify for the new version of the Heineken Cup next season.

This was certainly Stade's motivation for putting out a second string team against Harlequins. Stade have to go to Bayonne at the weekend in a must win game for both sides.

I would expect any of the Irish provinces to do exactly the same thing.

Both Munster and Leinster have named full sides in the Amlin I think? Munster definitely did anyway!

I understood Stade doing it because their first team is in freefall and needed a break and/or a look at other faces to bring in.

I dunno, it's a shame it happens! I can understand that it's not an easy problem to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Both Munster and Leinster have named full sides in the Amlin I think? Munster definitely did anyway!

I understood Stade doing it because their first team is in freefall and needed a break and/or a look at other faces to bring in.

I dunno, it's a shame it happens! I can understand that it's not an easy problem to fix.

Actually I think it's an easy fix give the winner of the Amlin qualification into the Heineken cup and then full teams will more than likely be played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Funny how the QFs worked out - all the 'more successful' European sides lost. The losing 4 had 10 European Cups between them, the winning 4 have just 3.

I would say it's indicative of a "changing of the guard", though it's made stranger in that it's the same four semi-finalists as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

who_me wrote: »
    Funny how the QFs worked out - all the 'more successful' European sides lost. The losing 4 had 10 European Cups between them, the winning 4 have just 3.

I would say it's indicative of a "changing of the guard", though it's made stranger in that it's the same four semi-finalists as last year.

The only losing side on a real downward curve was Leinster, both Toulouse and Leicester have been average (or rather, below their historic heights) for a while now, and Ulster were the up and coming side

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

The problem with the Amlin Cup is that it's already a joke of a competition. Promoted teams get to play the group stage! I never got that. And the "best losers" of the H Cup group stage get to play the second rounds. Such heterogeneity can't be good. I also never understood why there's no selection to play it from the main championships. The message is really wrong there. Basically what the Amlin Cup is saying is if you're not good enough to play the big Cup, whatever your domestic league position, you can play the Amlin. Levelling downwards. If the point is to give european experience to small teams then resuscitate some newer version of the European Shield. But the way it is now is just a farce.

• Advertisement

I think the 3 runners up from the HEC going to the QF's of the Amlin is to help maintain competitiveness in the HEC and not just boost interest in the Amlin (which it also does).

From next season there will only be 5 groups in the H Cup and only 2 teams dropping down into the Amlin (if any, that hasn't been mentioned really but I assume they will). That leaves 5 groups in the Amlin with best runner up qualifying I guess? Or maybe there'll be no teams dropping down and it'll just be 3 best runners up in the Amlin quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Wow, that's a mad statistic.

Everybody knows that :D actually just so that you hate Toulon even more, Boudjelal wrote a letter to the ERC prior to the 1/4 Final and stated he didn't want to see Owens ref the match. They got Barnes ...
    Owens is well known to be called Nigel "Paddy" Owens after all, ha ha !

I myself remember that Ireland - France match in Croker in 2009....

I think an English ref is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Boudjelal wrote a letter to the ERC prior to the 1/4 Final and stated he didn't want to see Owens ref the match.

Ah he's always moaning about refs. Sure wasn't he then claiming that Barnes was biased towards Leinster then too. It's bad enough he can buy his way to the top the way he has, but to have the cheek to then complain about anything and everything on the way just makes him harder and harder to have any time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Probably the best place to ask this - Does anyone know when they will release the date for the final for the 2015 Heineken Cup? The last few years it has been the 3rd/4th Saturday of May so I assume it will be similar next year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement