Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-4 Heineken Cup Discussion Thread

1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That is why you don't want a prop on the wing! That was absolute butchery from Waller.

Looks like Northampton could spend the rest of the match down here.

Finally a try from Northampton. Their power is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Northampton try, 8 minutes left, game over.........

16 - 25

Northampton try, 8 minutes left, game over.........

16 - 25

Looks like game over alright, but this Bath back line is hard to write off.

• Advertisement

More Northampton butchery there but they might have the try yet! Stephen Myler tops off the perfect night with a great interception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

forward pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's a foot, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Does Foden take the ball from in front of Burrell?

Buer wrote: »

I thought it was ripped backwards, but how did Burrell not score.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I thought it was ripped backwards, but how did Burrell not score.

He really did his best to butcher it. If he had just popped it up it was a simple touchdown. He did everything in his power to make sure the ball didn't reach the goal area.

Another Northampton try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Ya that confirms it. Ford has contributed to a 14 point swing between the sides. 3 easy missed penalties and he is after throwing an intercepted pass which resulted in a try.

Northampton are winning this half 24 - 3 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

But they were in the deadball area, so ahead of the Bath tryline so would it be a forward pass?

Edit.

Nevermind, Law 12 seems to be forward is towards the deadball line. I thought it was only forward if it was towards the tryline.

There are very few sides in Europe who can live with Northampton playing at this level. Their big problem seems to be consistency, especially in the last few months.

matthew8 wrote: »
    There are very few sides in Europe who can live with Northampton playing at this level. Their big problem seems to be consistency, especially in the last few months.

They've had a really good season, let down by a couple of bad performances. Their final tally in the Premiership would have earned them top spot every other season since 2003/04. Saracens just have had a freakish, record breaking campaign.

A bit more cohesion and less injury problems and they would have gotten out of their HEC pool also. Burrell threw an intercept in Castres which cost them the game. If they won, they'd have been in a completely different situation for the rest of the campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat Leinster's showing last season by winning the ACC and their domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

They've had a really good season, let down by a couple of bad performances. Their final tally in the Premiership would have earned them top spot every other season since 2003/04. Saracens just have had a freakish, record breaking campaign.

A bit more cohesion and less injury problems and they would have gotten out of their HEC pool also. Burrell threw an intercept in Castres which cost them the game. If they won, they'd have been in a completely different situation for the rest of the campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat Leinster's showing last season by winning the ACC and their domestic league.

I hope so, can stomach Saints winning far easier than Sarries

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Healy, POC, and POM made the TG4 HEC team of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ssaye2 wrote: »

Delighted for him tbh, seems a very likeable chap and had a massive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Delighted for him tbh, seems a very likeable chap and had a massive season.

"You had 4 turnovers in that game, what do you say to that"?

"I wish I had gotten 5!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

83 carries
    77 tackles
    19 turnovers
    20 defenders beaten

I know what we like to say around here about stats.. but those are some pretty numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England only pick players with non-English clubs in "exceptional circumstances". Steffon Armitage has to be considered that at this stage. He had a quiet season last year when the preferred backrow was Rossouw-Lobbe-Masoe but he has really stepped up since Masoe's injury.

At the very least he would be a superb impact player off the bench at international level. You'd wonder if he regrets getting his few caps as he would be a starter with France if he was eligible.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He played Vunipola off the park. Without question he outshone him by a mile.

How many times was Vunipola turned over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    He played Vunipola off the park. Without question he outshone him by a mile.

How many times was Vunipola turned over?

Vunipola left the pitch right after the final whistle. You could see Wilkinson trying to follow him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Vunipola left the pitch right after the final whistle. You could see Wilkinson trying to follow him.

I saw that in the highlights. Vunipola didn't even look behind him when Wilkinson tapped his arm. He must have been just pi55ed of with how bad he performed

Is this Billy or Mako? Because Billy was really good. He constantly got over the gain line and got past the first defender. Carried like a tank. Was turned over a couple of times but that was as much to do with the fact that he was getting on the ball a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Is this Billy or Mako? Because Billy was really good. He constantly got over the gain line and got past the first defender. Carried like a tank. Was turned over a couple of times but that was as much to do with the fact that he was getting on the ball a huge amount.

It was Mako that stormed off down the tunnell, with JW trying to call him back. He had an absolute stinker of a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

In other news, Stefan Armitage not picked for the NZ tour, and therefore not in the frame for a WC place. Just as he was being named European player of the year. Not an exceptional enough circumstance by Lancaster's reckoning. Would have seriously strengthened the squad (though I understand that he has a reputation for being disruptive and petulant if things don't go his way, like being dropped or rested for a game)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In other news, Stefan Armitage not picked for the NZ tour, and therefore not in the frame for a WC place. Just as he was being named European player of the year. Not an exceptional enough circumstance by Lancaster's reckoning. Would have seriously strengthened the squad (though I understand that he has a reputation for being disruptive and petulant if things don't go his way, like being dropped or rested for a game)

Exceptional circumstances was never (to my understanding) meant to mean a player being exceptionally good. It was meant to cover injury crises and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Crazy decision

On merit, he has to be in there. However, if Lancaster has put in place an unwritten rule that he doesn't select foreign based players then I fully understand him not selecting him. He can't break that rule now because the guy has had a great season; it would undermine the whole point.

Just saw this on UAFC and thought it was interesting enough, if not pretty meaningless.

The cumulative points total of group stage games over the past 4 seasons:

Ulster 91 pts (won 20 lost 4 BP 11)
    Clermont 91 pts (won 19 lost 5 BP 15)
    Leinster 90 pts
    Munster 84 pts
    Toulouse 82 pts
    Leicester 80 pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

On merit, he has to be in there. However, if Lancaster has put in place an unwritten rule that he doesn't select foreign based players then I fully understand him not selecting him. He can't break that rule now because the guy has had a great season; it would undermine the whole point.

I didn't realise Lancaster did that rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Just saw this on UAFC and thought it was interesting enough, if not pretty meaningless.

The cumulative points total of group stage games over the past 4 seasons:

Ulster 91 pts (won 20 lost 4 BP 11)
    Clermont 91 pts (won 19 lost 5 BP 15)
    Leinster 90 pts
    Munster 84 pts
    Toulouse 82 pts
    Leicester 80 pts

On a related note, the final ever ERC rankings will look like this:
    1. Leinster 33 pts
    2. Toulon 32 pts
    3. Clermont 27 pts
    4. Munster 22 pts
    5. Ulster 22 pts
    6. Saracens 21 pts
    7. Northampton 20 pts
    8. Toulouse 20 pts

Also notice that there is no Toulon in my list. They weren't in it one of the years!

And in my list only 1 of the teams has actually won it in that timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

1. Leinster 33 pts
    2. Toulon 32 pts
    3. Clermont 27 pts
    4. Munster 22 pts
    5. Ulster 22 pts
    6. Saracens 21 pts
    7. Northampton 20 pts
    8. Toulouse 20 pts

so Saracens or Northampton will be among the top 3 seeds for enxt year as oppossed to 6 and 7

Glasgow or Castres could be in the top 3 despite hardly featuring in HEC knock outs

Leinster and Toulon would be the only ones in the same on either system

1. Leinster 33 pts
    2. Toulon 32 pts
    3. Clermont 27 pts
    4. Munster 22 pts
    5. Ulster 22 pts
    6. Saracens 21 pts
    7. Northampton 20 pts
    8. Toulouse 20 pts

WOOOOOOOO

Suck it Toulon.

never mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Also notice that there is no Toulon in my list. They weren't in it one of the years!

And in my list only 1 of the teams has actually won it in that timeframe.

In fairness only 2 teams have won it over the last 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Riskymove wrote: »
    actually...base don what is on the ERC website these points are wrong

Toulon would be 32 alright, but Leinster would only be 30

5 + 6 + 11 + 11 = 33.

How did you get 30?

actually...base don what is on the ERC website these points are wrong

Toulon would be 32 alright, but Leinster would only be 29

Leinster would be on 11 + 11 + 6 + 5 = 33

5 + 6 + 11 + 11 = 33.

How did you get 30?

sorry you are correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Anyone want to count up all the points from the beginning of the tournament? Would be interesting to see who comes out on top!

Anyone want to count up all the points from the beginning of the tournament? Would be interesting to see who comes out on top!

Presumably Toulouse or Munster. I think Munster would probably edge it actually.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Presumably Toulouse or Munster. I think Munster would probably edge it actually.

if we are taslking about points from the group stage only, Leicester and Leinster must also come out well.

if we are taslking about points from the group stage only, Leicester and Leinster must also come out well.

I assume he means ranking points. It's a question of whether Munster's huge haul of semi-finals and near-continual qualification out of the groups beats out Toulouse's extra victories. I'd imagine it does. (though definitely not arsed checking!)

well....of the 5 I looked at:

Munster 299
    Toulouse 295
    Leinster 284
    Leicester 265
    Ulster 205

Bear in mind Leciester were not in it on two occassions and the points system changed in 2004

Advertisement