Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet working intermittently

Options
  • 06-10-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests google chrome is only working on and off on my laptop. When it isnt working i can see 'resolving host' on the bottom left of the screen. I'm really not a techie and this is driving me mad!

Anyone know how to fix this... Havent changed anything on it and turning on off does no good....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Might be a DNS issue. Try changing your DNS server address to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

Also try entering into a command line:

ipconfig /flushdns

Any chance you might have a Virus or some form of Malware which might have caused DNS Poisoning ? When it does eventually resolve a host is it the destination you were expecting ? For example if you type www.google.com into the URL bar do you end up somewhere else ?

Does it affect Internet Explorer ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

ZENER wrote: »
    Might be a DNS issue. Try changing your DNS server address to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

Also try entering into a command line:

ipconfig /flushdns

Any chance you might have a Virus or some form of Malware which might have caused DNS Poisoning ? When it does eventually resolve a host is it the
    destination you were expecting ? For example if you type www.google.com into the URL bar do you end up somewhere else ?

Does it affect Internet Explorer ?

Ken

Hi ken...thanks for your reply!
    It affects explorer too.. The times it does work it goes to the correct address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is your Connection on the computer - Laptop or PC - set to DHCP ? Check that it is.

Have you got a Proxy server entry in your browsers ? Is it a home or office laptop/computer ?

Also check your Hosts file -

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (assuming Windows 7)

Most entries should be commented out - they should have a "#" at the start of the line except maybe the 127.0.0.1 entry - if there are any other entries post them here.

Try pinging at the command line and see how long it takes. Eg :

ping www.google.ie

You should get a reply like this:

ping www.google.ie

PING www.google.ie (74.125.24.94): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 74.125.24.94: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=48.870 ms
    64 bytes from 74.125.24.94: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=47.643 ms
    64 bytes from 74.125.24.94: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=56.060 ms

If it takes a while to resolve the IP address and ping and you've checked the above it might be your ISP or your router. Difficult without seeing it, have you installed a new firewall or AV software recently ?

Ken

Advertisement