Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

volvo fm7 truck

• 06-10-2013 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

can anyone advise me on the type of gearbox these have???thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

there were several gearbox options with the FM7 all of which are Volvo's own gearboxes

the most popular was the 9 speed manual, it's a 4 over 4 range change & crawler gear
    also available was a 14 speed manual, it's 3 over 3 with a splitter gear & crawler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

trackcar wrote: »
    there were several gearbox options with the FM7 all of which are Volvo's own gearboxes

the most popular was the 9 speed manual, it's a 4 over 4 range change & crawler gear
    also available was a 14 speed manual, it's 3 over 3 with a splitter gear & crawler

thanks for the reply,are they difficult to adapt to???i've only ever driven 6 speed rigid trucks,moving up to the artic now and thats the truck in question,all this high box low box has me boggled

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Like anything, it just takes a bit of practice. If she has a nine speed, you can more or less forget about the crawler, I can't recall ever using it. It's a simple 4 speed, the same as your rigid, the only difference is the little switch at the front of the gear lever. When in 4th and looking to change up through the range, flick the switch up first, then as you pass through neutral heading back to where 1st gear is, you'll hear a nice solid thunk as the gear box crosses to the high range. Then just carry on as normal for the remaining gears. Simply reverse the procedure for downshifting.

The splitter used in conjunction with the range change on the 14 speed box is a second little switch mounted on the side of the gear lever. This also should be pre selected but you don't pass the stick through neutral to make the change, just dip the clutch. This has the action of "halving" the gear you are currently in. The only thing that tends to catch people with them is the change from 3rd to 4th. It's like changing from 3rd to 1st, it seems like an awkward shift but I far prefer that box to the nine speed...

Have fun with it, I can practically guarantee you'll crunch it a few times to start with....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Like anything, it just takes a bit of practice. If she has a nine speed, you can more or less forget about the crawler, I can't recall ever using it. It's a simple 4 speed, the same as your rigid, the only difference is the little switch at the front of the gear lever. When in 4th and looking to change up through the range, flick the switch up first, then as you pass through neutral heading back to where 1st gear is, you'll hear a nice solid thunk as the gear box crosses to the high range. Then just carry on as normal for the remaining gears. Simply reverse the procedure for downshifting.

The splitter used in conjunction with the range change on the 14 speed box is a second little switch mounted on the side of the gear lever. This also should be pre selected but you don't pass the stick through neutral to make the change, just dip the clutch. This has the action of "halving" the gear you are currently in. The only thing that tends to catch people with them is the change from 3rd to 4th. It's like changing from 3rd to 1st, it seems like an awkward shift but I far prefer that box to the nine speed...

Have fun with it, I can practically guarantee you'll crunch it a few times to start with....
    just getting a chance to reply to you now,was out for a lesson yesterday,had no real difficulty shocking with the exception of trying to get the truck into reverse,it grinded a few times but the 4 over 4 gearbox wasnt an issue otherwise

Advertisement