Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I chose Broadband Advanced Unlimited, but I only have 8Mb?

• 06-10-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello!
    In the beginning of August I joined Eircom. I asked for their Unlimited Advanced Broadband pack (non-fibre, I live in Skibbereen), and the website it said that the maximum speed was 24Mbit/s. I requested that pack but recently I noticed that the maximum speed I get is 8Mbit/s.

Now, this is the important part. It's not that my line can't handle more than 24, I checked my router definitions and I'm only getting 8, period. As in, eircom has set my download speed to 8 instead of 24. I've searched their website and they don't even HAVE an 8Mbit speed pack!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hello!
    In the beginning of August I joined Eircom. I asked for their Unlimited Advanced Broadband pack (non-fibre, I live in Skibbereen), and the website it said that the maximum speed was 24Mbit/s. I requested that pack but recently I noticed that the maximum speed I get is 8Mbit/s.

Now, this is the important part. It's not that my line can't handle more than 24, I checked my router definitions and I'm only getting 8, period. As in, eircom has set my download speed to 8 instead of 24. I've searched their website and they don't even HAVE an 8Mbit speed pack!

When they say 24Mb/s, they give you UP TO what you can handle on your line. You will not get 24Mb/s unless you live right beside the Exchange. The speeds come down to the distance to the Exchange and other factors like the quality of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rudi Montes

When the line was installed, the man who installed it said that from his experience, I could probably get 17-18, considering my distance to the Exchange. Of course, this is probably just speculation on his part, but I was just wondering if Eircom actually tested to see if I could get more than 8 or just set the limit at 8. If I call them to run tests and it turns out I can get 12, 13, something like that, I won't actually pay more than what's advertised on the website, right?

Does your router say what modulation your line is using? Maybe your line is terminated to an ADSL 1 (G.DMT) card at the exchange rather than ADSL2+? If so it might be an error on Eircom's part.

Connection
    broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed: 8128 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 10.0 dB/ 9.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 16.0 dB/ 21.0 dB

Here's what it says in the router's page. It does say G.DMT.

That's your problem so. You'll never get more than 8 meg on G.DMT. Either your line is terminated at the wrong card or the exchange isn't ADSL2+ enabled (in which case you should never have been sold a 24 meg package).

Also, what router is it? Does it support ADSL2+?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Connection
    broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed: 8128 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 10.0 dB/ 9.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 16.0 dB/ 21.0 dB

Here's what it says in the router's page. It does say G.DMT.

Those stats are outstanding. You need to get on to them tomorrow to tell them you are still on ADSL1.

It's an Eircom D1000... The manual says it supports ADSL2+. I will call them today. Hopefully it was a mistake and they can do whatever changes necessary without much hassle. It's not that I can't survive on 8Mbit, but if I could have double that number, it'd help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1800 503 303, call them. They can issue a regrade to get it changed, unless your exchange is ADSL1 only or they ran out of ADSL2 ports. They might get confused and bump you to tech support though.

I just called them. Apparently the reason why I'm not on ADSL2+ is because my line can't support more than 5MBit. So they say, though, but this can't clearly be the case because I've downloaded things at the full 8Mbits before. I was however informed that fiber is now available in my area!

And then I went to check the website and it turns out it's not. April-June 2014 is when it's launching. These guys are all over the place. I'm not sure what to do now, I have no way of countering their claim that the line can't take more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I just called them. Apparently the reason why I'm not on ADSL2+ is because my line can't support more than 5MBit. So they say, though, but this can't clearly be the case because I've downloaded things at the full 8Mbits before. I was however informed that fiber is now available in my area!

And then I went to check the website and it turns out it's not. April-June 2014 is when it's launching. These guys are all over the place. I'm not sure what to do now, I have no way of countering their claim that the line can't take more.

That sounds like a bad prequal(the line test that rates your lines). If you attenuation reading is correct, which it usually is, you're close enough to get about 20mb. Might need a 17Mb profile depending on the internal wiring of the premises.

There's one of two things happening:

A: Prequal is out of date and hasnt been updated(should be done ~once a month), and once its re-run it'll update to the right result

B: A line fault of some sort is causing an incorrect result.

Best bet is call Tech Support from your mobile or another landline and ask them to test your landline, find out if anything is throwing it. If not, find out when the last test was run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement