Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Working Class Heroes 2013

Options
  • 07-10-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I did a search and there wasn't a thread for this already...shocking!

Who went? Who did you see? Who did you discover? What was your highlight?

I'll come back and give my thoughts later on; I just wanted to start the discussion: I'm currently in Recovery Mode (like a Windows PC!)

I will say this though, over the three days I was too busy having an awesome time I got about 7 hours sleep! Hardcore. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I was there Friday night and was going between the Mercantile, Meeting House Square and Bad Bobs. Highlights were Moscow Metro & The Manhattan Syndrome. Hopefully I'll have the entire weekend free next year as it's a great night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I missed the The Manhattan Syndrome, they clashed with someone else...but I can't remember who exactly...it's all a blur.

Thursday was kind of tame, apart from Halves, who were phenomenal as always.

Friday was good with a bit of this that and Windings.

I made full use of Saturday, learning how to make a fuzz guitar pedal in the morning and got some killer tips on running a venue. Then spent the evening in Bad Bobs - apart from The Funeral Suits in the Button Factory - who had to be THE highlight of my HWCH. They're still experimenting with their live sound and it's amazing how you get something new from them each time you see them.

Cfit, Croupier and Tvvins to finish proceedings off.

All in all I definitely got my money's worth. I'm absolutely buzzing...still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

From a punters point of view, it's good to be able to check out lots of different bands. From a bands point of view, unless you've got a good slot in a good place, it's a complete waste of time.

Most of the other slots, you're playing to one man and his dog, and the next band waiting to come on. You can tell your mates that "I played at hwch", but it'll make no difference unless it's a good slot.

It's a glorified pi55 up for the organisers and their industry mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Aw, really? :(

I do hate the half hour slots but I don't feel like any particular venue or time was disadvantaged...though I'd say Thursday was quiet enough all round. Maybe I'm being naive.

Also, I'm not really the full biscuit - I hung round on Thursday night just to see Halves and then had to hang round till my 3am night bus, just to get two hours sleep before getting to work and starting the madness all over again on Friday. My concept of not really being bothered to go to a gig doesn't exist (and it really should).

You sound like you've played at HWCH before ;P

EDIT: Also, something I've just thought of, each of the venues I was at over HWCH was much busier than I'd ever seen them! Interesting...

Yep, played it twice over the years. It's good to have it. I suppose I sounded really negative and cynical, but realistically unless you're on a good slot, it's not really worth it from a band point of view. It's no different than getting a support slot at any other gig.

It can be good for the other stuff like meeting people in the industry, but that's all you really do - meet them. If you can get in touch with them outside HWCH, it's not worth the hassle, especially if you're travelling in to Dublin for it.

The first time, anyone we met at gigs who worked in music were langersed drunk. This time, I played with a band to boost the live set, knew exactly what to expect, and got exactly what I expected.

For a first time young band, it's probably worth the risk, but once is enough.

As a musician, I'd apply, see what slot I got and then decide whether to do it. Handier to get a support slot at a stand alone gig though. You need to ask yourself what you want out of it as a band/musician. It's grand to say "I played the Grand Social" for example, but you could be playing to nobody, and you could be playing to someone who works in the industry. It's a risk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yep, played it twice over the years. It's good to have it. I suppose I sounded really negative and cynical, but realistically unless you're on a good slot, it's not really worth it from a band point of view. It's no different than getting a support slot at any other gig.

It can be good for the other stuff like meeting people in the industry, but that's all you really do - meet them. If you can get in touch with them outside HWCH, it's not worth the hassle, especially if you're travelling in to Dublin for it.

The first time, anyone we met at gigs who worked in music were langersed drunk. This time, I played with a band to boost the live set, knew exactly what to expect, and got exactly what I expected.

For a first time young band, it's probably worth the risk, but once is enough.

As a musician, I'd apply, see what slot I got and then decide whether to do it. Handier to get a support slot at a stand alone gig though. You need to ask yourself what you want out of it as a band/musician. It's grand to say "I played the Grand Social" for example, but you could be playing to nobody, and you could be playing to someone who works in the industry. It's a risk!![/QUOTE]
    Did you expect a guaranteed prime time slot? If you're not into risk taking then you should probably give up on music.

No, unless you've a track record, you won't get a good time slot. The risk is you could be playing to 2 people and someone in the industry could happen to check you out. The odds of it will be they will be at the better venues waiting for the well known band.

I don't think it really matters if you do the hwch or not. It's not like you can't get a gig in any of the venues any other time of the year.

As it stand, I'll be involved in a good support slot in a great Dublin venue before the Christmas independent of HWCH. All I got out of HWCH was an empty pocket driving to Dublin, and confirmation that Dublin is crawling with beautiful women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I wish this and the Camden Crawl Dublin would put acts on all throughout the day on Saturday (and Sunday in CCD's case). would be much easier to catch acts and avoid clashes if they were on in some venues from 3pm onwards, instead of just starting at 8 each night, and the venues open but empty during the day.

It's good that it's free to see the bands. Can't complain there. It's good in theory. I'm only thinking of it as a cynical old musician. :)
    As a punter, it's good....

Advertisement